The Student Room Group

Engineering Courses

So I don't really know what degree to take for Uni. I know I would like to do something in relation to automotive or motorsport engineering, but I have read through several posts online about taking something like Mechanical or aerospace engineering is better. Is this true?
Original post by MDellar
So I don't really know what degree to take for Uni. I know I would like to do something in relation to automotive or motorsport engineering, but I have read through several posts online about taking something like Mechanical or aerospace engineering is better. Is this true?

Better in terms of what? Mechanical is broader but will still open up lots of doors in the automotive sector. But if you are really set in going into automotive then a good automotive course at a university with good sector links might set you up better.
Original post by MDellar

Mechanical is broader, and will be highly suitable for automotive industry. Of course automotive engineering is also very good for this. Automotive engineering is really an application of mechanical engineering, so the subjects will be extremely close but more how they frame the content.

For example you will study fluid mechanics in mechanical engineering but they could call it vehicle aerodynamics in automotive engineering, aerodynamics is fluid mechanics but your just focusing on 1 type of fluid & 1 type of fluid-body interaction.

It’s really more personal preference and you can do mechanical degrees which are very automotive influenced.

(The other degrees are manufacturing & electrical engineering both of which are used at different parts of the technical side of the automotive industry).

Quick Reply

Latest