The Student Room Group

Selfish Grandmother.

My grandmother is ill, her abdomen is very swollen, she appears to have edema in her legs and she easily becomes confused. I am not a medical professional, but I know those things aren't normal.
She refuses to see a doctor, I think she is being incredibly selfish. What if her medical condition is treatable? What if not having treatment will lead to her death? Until she sees a doctor, she won't know.

She reckons that she can treat herself- she watches quacks on YouTube and that western medicine will kill her.
I am going to try to talk to her about it, but I don't think she is going to listen.
Reply 1
It's her health and her choice. How old is she?
Reply 2
Original post by Bio 7
It's her health and her choice. How old is she?

Early 70s.
Being selfish is a choice.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Early 70s.
Being selfish is a choice.

Why is her own health decisions selfish? She isn't responsible for any children now is she so it only truly affects her.
Reply 4
Original post by Bio 7
Why is her own health decisions selfish? She isn't responsible for any children now is she so it only truly affects her.

Death in it's self doesn't cause the dead person to suffer, it hurts the living.

She has no idea what may or may not be wrong with her- she is just throwing in the towel. If she had come to this decision using relevant medical information, I would (reluctantly) support what ever decision she came to.

We lost our grandfather four years ago. He had a treatable heart condition that he refused treatment for because he was severely depressed so wanted it to progress.
She is doing the same thing.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Death in it's self doesn't cause the dead person to suffer, it hurts the living.

She has no idea what may or may not be wrong with her- she is just throwing in the towel. If she had come to this decision using relevant medical information, I would (reluctantly) support what ever decision she came to.

We lost our grandfather four years ago. He had a treatable heart condition that he refused treatment for because he was severely depressed so wanted it to progress.
She is doing the same thing.

Like it or not she has the right to not get medical treatment. Should she stay alive purely for others or let herself be happy while she lives?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending