The Student Room Group

Graduate entry medicine

If I were to apply to GEM, between a BSc neuroscience course and a BSc biomedical science course, which one is more ideal? I'm guessing the latter, but I feel that neuroscience appeals to me more. Would doing a neuroscience degree put me at any sort of disadvantage to those applying to GEM with a standard Biomedical science degree? Honest opinions please :smile:
As I understand it, either would be fine, and if you're more interested in neuroscience you would probably be more motivated to work hard for a good grade.

However, GEM is generally much more competitive than undergrad medicine, as there are fewer places and the applicants can be very well qualified. As such, if medicine is what you actually want to do, it would probably be advisable to give some serious consideration to applying for an undergrad medicine course instead. You could always intercalate a neuroscience degree as part of this, if you're still keen!
Reply 2
Original post by ammoniumelectron
If I were to apply to GEM, between a BSc neuroscience course and a BSc biomedical science course, which one is more ideal? I'm guessing the latter, but I feel that neuroscience appeals to me more. Would doing a neuroscience degree put me at any sort of disadvantage to those applying to GEM with a standard Biomedical science degree? Honest opinions please :smile:

As said above, you should never do a degree with the sole aim of GEM because it's more expensive, harder and competitive.

Always resit if you can and apply for undergraduate A100 course as this is the cheapest, quickest and easiest way of getting into med.
Original post by paracrinoid
As I understand it, either would be fine, and if you're more interested in neuroscience you would probably be more motivated to work hard for a good grade.

However, GEM is generally much more competitive than undergrad medicine, as there are fewer places and the applicants can be very well qualified. As such, if medicine is what you actually want to do, it would probably be advisable to give some serious consideration to applying for an undergrad medicine course instead. You could always intercalate a neuroscience degree as part of this, if you're still keen!

Hi, ok that's reassuring! If possible, could you check my private message please? Thank you!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending