The Student Room Group

Need help with uni

I have a question for an assignment I'm doing A levels so am not too sure on it plz can some1 suggest an answer to this question plz.

Discuss the skills and personal attributes you will need in order to be a successful university student.

Scroll to see replies

Well, for one, I wouldn't write it in "txt" style, haha!

But I can definitely help. First, how old are you and what is the subject you're studying, along with wanting to study at University? It means you can tailor your answer a lot better, rather than just a generic answer.
Original post by Rohan007best
I have a question for an assignment I'm doing A levels so am not too sure on it plz can some1 suggest an answer to this question plz.

Discuss the skills and personal attributes you will need in order to be a successful university student.

1st on that list I would put “trying to answer the question yourself before asking for help so you have something interesting to say to your tutor". And who knows, you might just find your own way to the answer.

PS, sounds like homework.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
1st on that list I would put “trying to answer the question yourself before asking for help so you have something interesting to say to your tutor". And who knows, you might just find your own way to the answer.

PS, sounds like homework.

i just dont know what the uni skills could be is it things like communication or something also its not hw its an assignment my uni wants me to do
Original post by NovaeSci
Well, for one, I wouldn't write it in "txt" style, haha!

But I can definitely help. First, how old are you and what is the subject you're studying, along with wanting to study at University? It means you can tailor your answer a lot better, rather than just a generic answer.

Hi,

Im 17 studying chemistry, biology and business and aspire to study medicine at uni
i just dont know what the uni skills could be is it things like communication or something also its not hw its an assignment my uni wants me to do

So independent learning and managing your own time is a key thing, as is the ability to hit deadlines without a teacher or parent looking over your shoulder. Communicating clearly in written work and the ability and confidence to present in person to a live audience is also useful. On that note, turn on your spell checker and start adding full stops and commas if you want to be taken seriously as an aspiring medical student. The overarching one is an interest in your subject and a joy at discovering new things. Don’t start a degree in a subject you don’t want to invest 3-5 years in.
t

So independent learning and managing your own time is a key thing, as is the ability to hit deadlines without a teacher or parent looking over your shoulder. Communicating clearly in written work and the ability and confidence to present in person to a live audience is also useful. On that note, turn on your spell checker and start adding full stops and commas if you want to be taken seriously as an aspiring medical student. The overarching one is an interest in your subject and a joy at discovering new things. Don’t start a degree in a subject you don’t want to invest 3-5 ythan

thanks ill try and implement these ideas into the assignment soon
Hi,

Im 17 studying chemistry, biology and business and aspire to study medicine at uni

I think you may have posted in the wrong forum. It's the Mature Student forum here, haha. But, we can be just as much help, if not more :smile:

But to add to the above post, making sure your spelling and grammar is correct is a must. You can download Grammarly (the free version) and integrate it into Microsoft Word and your browser. It can be a life-saver for catching out small things you may have missed. It's especially useful for CVs.
(edited 2 years ago)
I think you may have posted in the wrong forum. It's the Mature Student forum here, haha. But, we can be just as much help, if not more :smile:

But to add to the above post, making sure your spelling and grammar is correct is a must. You can download Grammarly (the free version) and integrate it into Microsoft Word and your browser. It can be a life-saver for catching out small things you may have missed. It's especially useful for CVs.

thank you isnt the word features as good as grammarly?
The word feature is just a spell check. Grammarly literally checks all the grammar in your writing, recognising tense, sentence structure, words that don't make sense, etc. The free version is just the basic things I mentioned, but the paid version does way more stuff. When you get to University, it would be worth investing in the full version, especially when you are writing scientific essays, projects, papers, etc. Check it out. You'll find the free version helps greatly and notices things you may not even have even noticed.
The word feature is just a spell check. Grammarly literally checks all the grammar in your writing, recognising tense, sentence structure, words that don't make sense, etc. The free version is just the basic things I mentioned, but the paid version does way more stuff. When you get to University, it would be worth investing in the full version, especially when you are writing scientific essays, projects, papers, etc. Check it out. You'll find the free version helps greatly and notices things you may not even have even noticed.

does itwork wwith word online?

Do you hold an offer? This is very uusual ... you should be doing this independently.
does itwork wwith word online?

Aye, you can add it as a Chrome extension, so it picks up on everything you write online. I have it on my browser and it's active even when I write on here. Although, I don't always pay attention to it, ha.
Original post by Muttley79
Do you hold an offer? This is very uusual ... you should be doing this independently.

I need to pass this assignment to recieve the offer
I need to pass this assignment to recieve the offer

Don't cheat then ...
m

Don't cheat then ...

im not cheating im asking for ideas as to the uni skills I could talk about
m

im not cheating im asking for ideas as to the uni skills I could talk about

That's cheating - they want YOUR ideas.
That's cheating - they want YOUR ideas.

doubt its cheating im just asking for help as to skills I can talk about but ok
So independent learning and managing your own time is a key thing, as is the ability to hit deadlines without a teacher or parent looking over your shoulder. Communicating clearly in written work and the ability and confidence to present in person to a live audience is also useful. On that note, turn on your spell checker and start adding full stops and commas if you want to be taken seriously as an aspiring medical student. The overarching one is an interest in your subject and a joy at discovering new things. Don’t start a degree in a subject you don’t want to invest 3-5 years in.

hi i've answered the question would u mind proof reading my answer and suggesting some improvements please?
hi i've answered the question would u mind proof reading my answer and suggesting some improvements please?

I think this is one you really want to do yourself :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending