The Student Room Group

Urgent Help Regarding My Scientific Calculator!!

when i used tan inverse (3/2) on my calculator i get 62.56659164 but others are getting different values than mine. idk why??? How can I fix this issue??
(edited 2 years ago)
is your calculator on degrees or radius? it the top right hand corner off the screen it will have an "r" or a "d"
Original post by Blackrose06
is your calculator on degrees or radius? it the top right hand corner off the screen it will have an "r" or a "d"

it's on r.
should i press shift 9 = AC ?
change it to d by clicking the mode button i think
d= degreese
Reply 5
Original post by Aleksander Krol
it's on r.

Sounds like you're on g actually, r would give you something less than 1. You probably want to be in degrees or radians, so d or r, depending on what the question asks for :smile:
whats g??? let me get my calculator
Reply 7
whats g??? let me get my calculator

Gradians, never used in GCSE or A level but can give answers annoyingly close to degrees so you don't notice it's wrong :rolleyes:
Original post by Interea
Sounds like you're on g actually, r would give you something less than 1. You probably want to be in degrees or radians, so d or r, depending on what the question asks for :smile:

thanks btw. it's working fine now. i got into D mode rn.
Reply 9
thanks btw. it's working fine now. i got into D mode rn.

Ah good - definitely check that at the start of any exams, it always catches at least 1 person out!
oh g is gra on my calculator. click shift set up (same as mode) and click either 3 or 4
change it to d by clicking the mode button i think
d= degreese

thanks for helping me!!
thanks for helping me!!

no problem. my teacher always says to put it on degrees. so i do and shift, 9, CA does nothing.
Original post by Interea
Gradians, never used in GCSE or A level but can give answers annoyingly close to degrees so you don't notice it's wrong :rolleyes:

This is interesting.

I have 2 engineering degrees & work in scientific research and have never come across any application using gradians.

Seems something that is probably just more confusing to high school students then the benefit of installing this function on the calculator.
no problem. my teacher always says to put it on degrees. so i do and shift, 9, CA does nothing.

thanks for your advice! :')) i was scared for a moment though. hahah
Original post by Interea
Ah good - definitely check that at the start of any exams, it always catches at least 1 person out!

thanks for your advice too!! :biggrin: i will try to be diligent next time. <3
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mnot
This is interesting.

I have 2 engineering degrees & work in scientific research and have never come across any application using gradians.

Seems something that is probably just more confusing to high school students then the benefit of installing this function on the calculator.

Definitely, I've never found any use for the function other than frustrating students, and with A level exams requiring you to be able to switch between degrees and radians on the same paper it's so easy to accidentally hit a wrong button. It's an awkward one because you can teach someone how to tell if their answer is reasonable, but when their calculator gives 56.3 in degrees and 62.6 in gradians there's often no way to spot the mistake unless they see that tiny G at the top of the screen :rolleyes:
Original post by Interea
Definitely, I've never found any use for the function other than frustrating students, and with A level exams requiring you to be able to switch between degrees and radians on the same paper it's so easy to accidentally hit a wrong button. It's an awkward one because you can teach someone how to tell if their answer is reasonable, but when their calculator gives 56.3 in degrees and 62.6 in gradians there's often no way to spot the mistake unless they see that tiny G at the top of the screen :rolleyes:

All very odd.

I always used to actively check R & D on relevant questions and in exams always do a test like sin(90) just to double check.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest