The Student Room Group

New job advice!! Urgent!!

So I got hired at Pret a Manger today. A girl i met during flat viewings worked there and she spoke to the manager at her shop who then called me and asked to come for trial shift.

Though he forgot to tell me that I had to wore the blue jeans and black shoes. So I couldn't do the trial shift today but he told me he's hired me on the spot without doing a trial shift. He sent me a text message for my shift next week.

I ve never worked before so could you please tell me what to look out for, contracts, pay etc?
Original post by ArdaGirl
So I got hired at Pret a Manger today. A girl i met during flat viewings worked there and she spoke to the manager at her shop who then called me and asked to come for trial shift.

Though he forgot to tell me that I had to wore the blue jeans and black shoes. So I couldn't do the trial shift today but he told me he's hired me on the spot without doing a trial shift. He sent me a text message for my shift next week.

I ve never worked before so could you please tell me what to look out for, contracts, pay etc?

You should sign a contract before you start. Make sure you get a copy.
That should say how much you get paid per hour, how many holidays you get etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)
You should sign a contract before you start. Make sure you get a copy.
That should say how much you get paid per hour, how many holidays you get etc.

But he hasn't given me anything yet???
But he hasn't given me anything yet???

Then ask them. They should be giving you a contract. So phone as ask them when you should expect to get one.
Reply 4
Then ask them. They should be giving you a contract. So phone as ask them when you should expect to get one.

He told me to remind him on Friday that I start my shift on Saturday
He told me to remind him on Friday that I start my shift on Saturday

The boss doesnt sound very organised if you ask me. There seems to be no organisation or anything.
Reply 6
The boss doesnt sound very organised if you ask me. There seems to be no organisation or anything.

Yeah
It seems like a thing with Pret. He called me for a trial shift but didn't even tell me to bring uniform.
Yeah
It seems like a thing with Pret. He called me for a trial shift but didn't even tell me to bring uniform.

It doesn't fill me with confidence I have to admit
Reply 8
It doesn't fill me with confidence I have to admit

What do you mean? All this is fake?
What do you mean? All this is fake?

No, I'm not saying it's fake.
I'm just saying it all seems so unorganised.
Called you for a trial shift and didn't tell you what to wear. So due to wearing the wrong thing you couldn't do it. But offered you the job anyway.
You say that he told you to remind him Friday that you start on Saturday. A boss shouldn't need reminding that they have a new member of staff starting.
Hasn't told you what you will be paid, or given you any other information. No mention of a contract or anything.
Reply 10
No, I'm not saying it's fake.
I'm just saying it all seems so unorganised.
Called you for a trial shift and didn't tell you what to wear. So due to wearing the wrong thing you couldn't do it. But offered you the job anyway.
You say that he told you to remind him Friday that you start on Saturday. A boss shouldn't need reminding that they have a new member of staff starting.
Hasn't told you what you will be paid, or given you any other information. No mention of a contract or anything.

But all this seems shady right?
I wouldn't be too worried starting without a written contract but you should push to get one as soon as you can.

It will be a standard contract but you should still read through it and make sure you know what everything means.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending