The Student Room Group

Mansplaining!

Here's a safe space to vent and tell your stories about any mansplaining you have had to endure! Here's mine: my ex tried to explain birth control to me and even tried to tell me which i was allowed to get! He didn't 'like the idea' of the implant so said I can either have the pill or injection.... I got the implant 😂 however in hind sight the best birth control would've been to dump his ass after that big red flag!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can we share our experiences with womansplaining as well?
Reply 2
mansplaining, womansplaining, whateversplaining

If you are a [insert identity], there's guaranteed to be an expert out there - who happens to be a [insert different identity] - who knows more than you about whatever issue you attribute to your identity.
Reply 3
Who cares if its a man, or a woman, explaining something to you? Has it ever occured that they might simply know more on the topic than you do?
To run with your example, you arent an expert on birth control simply by dint of popping a pill (or whatever method is being used) they, on the other hand, might actually be be they a medical professional or whatnot.
Simply put, stop being a sexist and complaining when someone who happens to have a **** tells you when you're talking claptrap.
Mansplaining is not a thing. You can't just add man onto the beginning of a verb to make it negative. Shame on you butchering the English language.
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
Mansplaining is not a thing. You can't just add man onto the beginning of a verb to make it negative. Shame on you butchering the English language.

Can Manspreading remain a thing, I am a world champion.
Original post by DiddyDec
Can Manspreading remain a thing, I am a world champion.

Only if you also do it when sat next to OP to annoy her.
Reply 7
How can my ex be a medical professional when he had barely any gcse's, no degree and lived on the dole! Don't know why I ever even liked him
Reply 8
Original post by Celtic Conjurer

Well done, you just mansplained!
Original post by Itsme1400!

Being right isn't mansplaining :facepalm2:
Reply 10
Original post by DiddyDec
Being right isn't mansplaining :facepalm2:

It is when it's said in a derogatory tone, as you have also taken
Did you just start this thread to complain about your ex?
(edited 2 years ago)

If you start a thread in the debate section then you should be prepared to have your ideas challenged.

Can’t do something that isn’t real :u:
Here's a safe space to vent and tell your stories about any mansplaining you have had to endure! Here's mine: my ex tried to explain birth control to me and even tried to tell me which i was allowed to get! He didn't 'like the idea' of the implant so said I can either have the pill or injection.... I got the implant 😂 however in hind sight the best birth control would've been to dump his ass after that big red flag!

What is also insulting about your experiences is your conviction that dominating and disrespectful behaviour is a defining characteristic of a man.

The male culture & masculinity that I understood and grew-up with revolved around respect, treating people with generosity and absolutely NO violence (alongside my friends/family/neighbours). The behaviour you describe is abuse and disrespect and very much frowned upon. My parents would be appalled if me or my brother behaved like that. We were raised and expected to stop bullying & speak for the weak/vulnerable.

The problem here is that masculinity is a vague and difficult concept. It is necessarily a bit subjective & cultural. Are there versions of masculinity that are aggressive, dominating and violent? Of course. But there are at least 5 to every 1 who is rude/aggressive that are respectful.

Like homophobia, it is usually a mental space for internalising fears and anxieties about unpleasantness, experiences and pressures. The availability heuristic is bound to warp a person's worldview in which they don't notice the bigger picture. It becomes very easy to pathologise people; but a lot of the behaviours that are attributed to men are probably not so. The same with men who make who'd say "you know what women are like".
(edited 2 years ago)
I have an example of womansplaining. I explained something to Napp yesturday
and he gave me rep in return. :h:

Also i dont know how the ops situation looked exactly but since you were discussing birth control with your partner which would be used during sex between you two he wanted to say some of the ways to go about it are turn offs for him or simply dont work as well as others and he would rather reduce the chance of pregnancy by 95% than 70% ?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16

Pray tell how you inferred a tone from text? :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Original post by Napp
Pray tell how you inferred a tone from text? :rolleyes:

Anyone that knows the basics of reading is capable of this....
Reply 18
Anyone that knows the basics of reading is capable of this....

So, in other words, you got upset over an imagined non-extant slight?
Original post by Napp
So, in other words, you got upset over an imagined non-extant slight?

They have a term for that it's called microaggressions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending