The Student Room Group

Do you have to apply to medicine after you have done the UCAT

This may sound like a stupid question, but if you sat the UCAT and wasn’t happy with your score, instead of retaking the next year, could you choose a different university course to apply to?
Reply 1
Original post by aarrose
This may sound like a stupid question, but if you sat the UCAT and wasn’t happy with your score, instead of retaking the next year, could you choose a different university course to apply to?

Yes you could, but if you are willing to change your course due to one bad result you should reflect on whether you actually want to do medicine in the first place.
yeah. Deadlines for medicine applications is October and I think the last time you can do UCAT is like september? And you get your results after you do the UCAT so if you change your mind and decide not to do medicine, then you’ve got till January which is the deadline for other courses (idk tho, probably depends on the course so you should check)

correct me if i’m wrong anyone

oh forgot to say good luck! I’m in the same shoes as you too lol, not sure if i want to reapply next year or do my plan B (i rather do medicine tho so let’s hope we get in first time)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by sumayaaa
yeah. Deadlines for medicine applications is October and I think the last time you can do UCAT is like september? And you get your results after you do the UCAT so if you change your mind and decide not to do medicine, then you’ve got till January which is the deadline for other courses (idk tho, probably depends on the course so you should check)

correct me if i’m wrong anyone

oh forgot to say good luck! I’m in the same shoes as you too lol, not sure if i want to reapply next year or do my plan B (i rather do medicine tho so let’s hope we get in first time)

Good luck to you too!
May I ask what your backup plans are if you don’t get into medicine?
Original post by aarrose
Good luck to you too!
May I ask what your backup plans are if you don’t get into medicine?

i’m thinking psychology but i feel like career wise, medicine will defo open more doors to jobs i won’t get bored with. But with psychology, i feel like the course itself MIGHT be much more appealing to me but let’s hope I get good on the UCAT so i can use that in my decision.

What about you, what’s your backup plan? When’s your UCAT? Mines on the 21st of August and I haven’t started revision☹️
Reply 5
i’m thinking psychology but i feel like career wise, medicine will defo open more doors to jobs i won’t get bored with. But with psychology, i feel like the course itself MIGHT be much more appealing to me but let’s hope I get good on the UCAT so i can use that in my decision.

What about you, what’s your backup plan? When’s your UCAT? Mines on the 21st of August and I haven’t started revision☹️

My backup plans are pharmacy or chemistry

My UCAT is on 31st of July 😳
I have Medify so I’m just trying to complete as many practise questions as possible, I honestly think my score will be below average.
Original post by aarrose
My backup plans are pharmacy or chemistry

My UCAT is on 31st of July 😳
I have Medify so I’m just trying to complete as many practise questions as possible, I honestly think my score will be below average.

oh damn so sooon! Good luck!! How long have you been preparing for?
what did you end up getting mines also 21st august but this year

Reply 8
Suggestions :
Neuroscience - https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/subjects/neuroscience/undergraduate
Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Natural Sciences - https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/undergraduate-subjects-2024/
Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Cancer Biology, Virology and Immunology, Medical Microbiology https://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/study/undergraduate/
Life Sciences, Medical Physiology, Genetics - https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/study/biosciences/#d.en.892349

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending