The Student Room Group

Uni of Manchester Computer Science 2021

Couldn't find a uom comp sci thread so thought I'd start one to try and find other people :smile: I've got an offer for Computer Science with Industrial Experience BSc and have taken Maths, Econ and Media for A Level so am planning on learning a little coding over the summer since I have no comp sci experience apart from Scratch I guess lol. How about everyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _sharmila_t
Couldn't find a uom comp sci thread so thought I'd start one to try and find other people :smile: I've got an offer for Computer Science with Industrial Experience BSc and have taken Maths, Econ and Media for A Level so am planning on learning a little coding over the summer since I have no comp sci experience apart from Scratch I guess lol. How about everyone else?

Good idea on starting a thread. I'm an offer holder for a plain CS BSc, I've done a little compscing but I'm very enthusiastic to do a bunch more. If you want to learn some CS/coding I highly recommend checking out CS50, it's an online course by Harvard and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Original post by Jonathan_W
Good idea on starting a thread. I'm an offer holder for a plain CS BSc, I've done a little compscing but I'm very enthusiastic to do a bunch more. If you want to learn some CS/coding I highly recommend checking out CS50, it's an online course by Harvard and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

ah thanks, it looks rly good I'll deffo do that over the summer! What a levels r u doing?
ah thanks, it looks rly good I'll deffo do that over the summer! What a levels r u doing?

Maths, Further Maths and Physics
Maths, Further Maths and Physics

cool, kinda wish I'd taken further now but didn't know you could do it as a third subject and not just a fourth! so what drew u to CS?
cool, kinda wish I'd taken further now but didn't know you could do it as a third subject and not just a fourth! so what drew u to CS?

I think CS offers a really good mix of things that I'm interested in like tech, AI and cryptocurrency plus it is mixed in with other fields that I'm interested in like psychology, politics, economics and philosophy. How about you, what drew you to CS?
exactly, I love how comp sci can be applicable in so many different fields nowadays, opens up a lot of different paths post-uni. apart from that I chose it bc I liked how it entails a lot of logical and innovative thinking, seems like something I'd enjoy. since u said you've done some cs stuff in the past, what is it you've worked on?
exactly, I love how comp sci can be applicable in so many different fields nowadays, opens up a lot of different paths post-uni. apart from that I chose it bc I liked how it entails a lot of logical and innovative thinking, seems like something I'd enjoy. since u said you've done some cs stuff in the past, what is it you've worked on?

So I've worked through a few courses and books on machine learning, python, bitcoin and of course CS50 which is very cool because you get some very interesting assignments, my favourite being an assignment where you have to implement a voting system called the tideman voting system in C. I also had to complete a website as the final project where I made a website where people can run elections using the quadratic voting method (I'm a big fan of voting systems). In terms of stuff I've done on my own, the only things worth a mention are a couple of web apps I've worked on. I've also gotten into Linux recently, very fun but it's mainly just been a source of procrastination. That's more of less the extent of my experience so far.
So I've worked through a few courses and books on machine learning, python, bitcoin and of course CS50 which is very cool because you get some very interesting assignments, my favourite being an assignment where you have to implement a voting system called the tideman voting system in C. I also had to complete a website as the final project where I made a website where people can run elections using the quadratic voting method (I'm a big fan of voting systems). In terms of stuff I've done on my own, the only things worth a mention are a couple of web apps I've worked on. I've also gotten into Linux recently, very fun but it's mainly just been a source of procrastination. That's more of less the extent of my experience so far.

oh wow that's pretty cool! with CS50 then is that something u did w ur school or is it something u can do independently, since u said u didn't do it on ur own? Also ur procrastination methods r deffo much more productive than mine haha
oh wow that's pretty cool! with CS50 then is that something u did w ur school or is it something u can do independently, since u said u didn't do it on ur own? Also ur procrastination methods r deffo much more productive than mine haha

I did it on my own back during the first couple of months of Lockdown, school had nothing to do with it. I think 95%+ of the teachers in my school have no clue what CS is tbh.
I did it on my own back during the first couple of months of Lockdown, school had nothing to do with it. I think 95%+ of the teachers in my school have no clue what CS is tbh.

will deffo do it over the summer then. and can relate, the reason I didn't take comp sci at gcse in the first place was bc the teachers weren't the best lol

btw did u go the comp sci virtual visit day? I missed it so I was just wondering what it was like if u went
Reply 12
Hi! I have an offer for computer science and maths Msc and Im doing Maths, Further maths, Physics and art at Alevels. I have little coding knowledge but im looking forward to doing more !! Also does anyone wanna maybe make a group chat or a discord server or something? I can set one up if anyone is interested haha
Original post by amicazb
Hi! I have an offer for computer science and maths Msc and Im doing Maths, Further maths, Physics and art at Alevels. I have little coding knowledge but im looking forward to doing more !! Also does anyone wanna maybe make a group chat or a discord server or something? I can set one up if anyone is interested haha

hey, that's a rly cool subject combo! and a gc would be great, if a snapchat one suits u I can pm u my user x
btw did u go the comp sci virtual visit day? I missed it so I was just wondering what it was like if u went

Yikes, I didn't know there was one on. When was it?
Yikes, I didn't know there was one on. When was it?

9th of march I think, I'm so annoyed that I missed it, as far as I can see there's a virtual open event happening at some point in June but idk if it's comp sci specific
9th of march I think, I'm so annoyed that I missed it, as far as I can see there's a virtual open event happening at some point in June but idk if it's comp sci specific

That's a shame, I should really pay more attention to the emails they send 😂
Original post by amicazb

Group chat is good idea
Hi Guys! I have an offer for MEng AI.
Thought I should create a WhatsApp group for UoM entrants. Here's the link to join:

https://chat.whatsapp.com/LAgosH14uzRCmX1q05UDcV

Also, do lemme know if we have a group chat happening on any other platform!
Original post by richie.harvy
Hi Guys! I have an offer for MEng AI.
Thought I should create a WhatsApp group for UoM entrants. Here's the link to join:

https://chat.whatsapp.com/LAgosH14uzRCmX1q05UDcV

Also, do lemme know if we have a group chat happening on any other platform!

Hi! There's quite a lot of us on a Snapchat group chat, I'll try and DM you the invite link.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending