The Student Room Group

People who mensturate, do you have advice/tips for masking "the smell"?

I have a bath/shower everyday, and I still smell period blood after it. When I was getting ready for the day to go to college etc. (pre-COVID) I used to put on deodorant/antiperspirant and perfume, and I would be constantly thinking if people could smell that I was on my period. This is because when I used to have sleepovers with other girls, they could automatically tell that I was on my period without me telling them, or me going to the bathroom multiple times etc.

I also have a physical disability which is pretty obvious to other people, and because I can't really keep it "private", I want to keep my period private because it's one of the things that people can't normally "see" if that makes sense? (Because of my disability I found that I can only wear pads as I personally find that the other types of products aren't disability-friendly.)

Because I always get very self-conscious when my period comes, I was wondering if I should start spraying perfume after I use the toilet everytime to try and mask the smell?

I was also wondering if anyone had any advice/tips on this issue, as I don't have anyone to talk to that would take is issue seriously?
You may be sensitive to the smell because it's you but I would genuinely be surprised if others actually notice anything. I also only use pads, never got on with tampons, and haven't noticed an issue.

Are your periods heavy? If so, have you considered using contraception that might reduce or remove periods perhaps? I'm on the pill and so have much lighter bleeding.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
You may be sensitive to the smell because it's you but I would genuinely be surprised if others actually notice anything. I also only use pads, never got on with tampons, and haven't noticed an issue.

Are your periods heavy? If so, have you considered using contraception that might reduce or remove periods perhaps? I'm on the pill and so have much lighter bleeding.

I use 2 types of contraception: the implant thing and the mini pill and I have light bleeding
I have a bath/shower everyday, and I still smell period blood after it. When I was getting ready for the day to go to college etc. (pre-COVID) I used to put on deodorant/antiperspirant and perfume, and I would be constantly thinking if people could smell that I was on my period. This is because when I used to have sleepovers with other girls, they could automatically tell that I was on my period without me telling them, or me going to the bathroom multiple times etc.

I also have a physical disability which is pretty obvious to other people, and because I can't really keep it "private", I want to keep my period private because it's one of the things that people can't normally "see" if that makes sense? (Because of my disability I found that I can only wear pads as I personally find that the other types of products aren't disability-friendly.)

Because I always get very self-conscious when my period comes, I was wondering if I should start spraying perfume after I use the toilet everytime to try and mask the smell?

I was also wondering if anyone had any advice/tips on this issue, as I don't have anyone to talk to that would take is issue seriously?

I don't think other people can tell when you're on your period, though I admit you can smell it yourself sometimes (I'm a woman despite my username). I think all you can do is change your pads very regularly when your flow is heavy. Perfume won't work as well as doing that.

It's normal to feel self conscious but you are almost certainly worrying for no reason, I think every female has the same fears at one time or another.
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
I don't think other people can tell when you're on your period, though I admit you can smell it yourself sometimes (I'm a woman despite my username). I think all you can do is change your pads very regularly when your flow is heavy. Perfume won't work as well as doing that.

It's normal to feel self conscious but you are almost certainly worrying for no reason, I think every female has the same fears at one time or another.

Thank you
You mean women....
And yes, you need a womb in order to menstutate.

Although this might sound counter intuitive, avoid perfumed sanitary towels. Their smell is far more pungent than any smells that you might associate with your period.
Reply 6
Original post by glassalice
You mean women....
And yes, you need a womb in order to menstutate.

Although this might sound counter intuitive, avoid perfumed sanitary towels. Their smell is far more pungent than any smells that you might associate with your period.

Thank you for the advice I'll shop for new ones. (And I was also just trying to be inclusive as I know that some people who menstuate don't identify as females 🙂)
Don't use perfume or deodorant, that will give you BV or thrush. As already said above, just change your pads regularly. I very much doubt anyone but you can smell anything unusual - I mean, do you know when your friends are on their periods unless they tell you?
Thank you for the advice I'll shop for new ones. (And I was also just trying to be inclusive as I know that some people who menstuate don't identify as females 🙂)

In general, women and girls menstruate, saying "People" to replace the fact that women and girls menstruate, erases the issues that women and girls go through on a daily basis. Using the word, "People" only satisfies a small minority of people.
Original post by Digital_Druglord
In general, women and girls menstruate, saying "People" to replace the fact that women and girls menstruate, erases the issues that women and girls go through on a daily basis. Using the word, "People" only satisfies a small minority of people.

No it doesn’t.
To include doesn’t exclude others.

Not all women menstruate.
Not all people who menstruate are women.

The correct group term for those she was addressing is “people who menstruate”
Original post by GabiAbi84
No it doesn’t.
To include doesn’t exclude others.

Not all women menstruate.
Not all people who menstruate are women.

The correct group term for those she was addressing is “people who menstruate”

You people are so woke, yikes! What has society come to?
You people are so woke, yikes! What has society come to?

I’m sorry, what’s your issue “anonymous”?
(edited 2 years ago)

I was also wondering if anyone had any advice/tips on this issue, as I don't have anyone to talk to that would take is issue seriously

I have a similar issue although I've asked my bf lots and he says I don't smell any different. I'm pretty sure my sense of smell changes and is more sensitive when I'm on my period because I also find that some food smells disgusting but no one else does!
Reply 13
If the smell really is quite strong and nothing seems to be helping, perhaps its something to ask your GP about.
And I'm just here to read the replies

Quick Reply

Latest