The Student Room Group

Graduate Jobs-please give me some advice! :)

I am currently undertaking a small job for a university job recruitment scheme where we advertise high-paying jobs to graduates.
My task is to research:
1-Where do graduates go to look for jobs? (eg. specific websites or social medias)
2-What kind of job advertisements graduates are attracted to?
3-How do we encourage more graduates to apply to the jobs listed?

Would any graduates, anyone who was a graduate at any stage in their life or will be one soon, or anyone who knows about the job market, be able to help me with these questions? I'd appreciate it greatly.
Original post by chloenix
I am currently undertaking a small job for a university job recruitment scheme where we advertise high-paying jobs to graduates.
My task is to research:
1-Where do graduates go to look for jobs? (eg. specific websites or social medias)
2-What kind of job advertisements graduates are attracted to?
3-How do we encourage more graduates to apply to the jobs listed?

Would any graduates, anyone who was a graduate at any stage in their life or will be one soon, or anyone who knows about the job market, be able to help me with these questions? I'd appreciate it greatly.

1. Graduates look for jobs on websites such as Linkedin, Indeed, Instagram, Reddit, CVlibrary, Reed and Monster.
2. I personally like job ads that show pay transparancy regarding salary, career progression plans, extra perks such as flexible working from home policies and unlimited holidays etc.
3. Be transparant, use social media platforms, have a clear target audience and stand out from the crowd.
Reply 2
Original post by Black Cat
1. Graduates look for jobs on websites such as Linkedin, Indeed, Instagram, Reddit, CVlibrary, Reed and Monster.
2. I personally like job ads that show pay transparancy regarding salary, career progression plans, extra perks such as flexible working from home policies and unlimited holidays etc.
3. Be transparant, use social media platforms, have a clear target audience and stand out from the crowd.

Thank you so much I genuinely appreciate it! I've been struggling all day on where to find answers!

When you say that graduates look for jobs on Instagram and Reddit, what do you mean? Like are there specific pages or subreddits that I should look for? Thank you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Bump :smile:
Reply 4
From my personal perspective as I can't speak for all graduates...

1. Company specific websites were my preference.
2. Its nice to know some specifics such as starting salary and location. Can be nice to know what the job consists of e.g. if its a grad scheme, could mention if its rotational placements. Also useful to know dates/timeline for application, when to expect to hear back etc. Something that puts me off and I have encountered was requests to be able to use a specific niche piece of software. I think companies should really consider if its 100% essential the candidate can use that software or if its actually possible to find a really great candidate that can be trained. Perhaps some people still apply even without having used that software but personally I just move on straight away.
3. I only applied to large companies. The problem with small companies is that I just dont know enough about them to find their website directly. Often I find websites such as Indeed/Reed too full of junk adverts or recruiters to be able to pick through and find decent job adverts. If I was an undergrad, direct emails from careers support with some information and a link direct to the company website to apply would probably have been my preference.
Times Top 100 and then look into company-specific websites for a lot of those companies. Most graduates have a few companies in mind they wouldn't mind working for and so generally go straight to their websites, although I also looked through LinkedIn and careers hub for our university.
Original post by chloenix
Thank you so much I genuinely appreciate it! I've been struggling all day on where to find answers!

When you say that graduates look for jobs on Instagram and Reddit, what do you mean? Like are there specific pages or subreddits that I should look for? Thank you.

Yeah there are specific subreddits such as 'ukjobs' as well as instagram pages ran by recruitment agencies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending