The Student Room Group

Scottish student living in England can I get SFE funding?

I did an undergraduate degree in English literature at and English university and was given finance by SAAS. I graduated this summer. I have now been offered a Masters degree an English University. SAAS says they will not fund my Masters because I can do a similar course in Scotland.

I have been living in Manchester since I graduated this summer. Would I be able to apply to England for Masters funding? How long do I have to live in England after I graduate before I can apply for English Funding?
Original post by Timetogetagrip
I did an undergraduate degree in English literature at and English university and was given finance by SAAS. I graduated this summer. I have now been offered a Masters degree an English University. SAAS says they will not fund my Masters because I can do a similar course in Scotland.

I have been living in Manchester since I graduated this summer. Would I be able to apply to England for Masters funding? How long do I have to live in England after I graduate before I can apply for English Funding?

Hi,
Our guidance states:

Student Relocates After UG Funding (no gap in studies)
If the student moves/relocates to another domicile after studying an undergraduate course to study attend a Postgraduate Masters (PGM) the team will automatically make the student ineligible. This is due to the student being considered still resident in their original domicile, as per example:

EXAMPLE: ‘Terry starts an undergraduate degree in England in September 2016. He receives funding from Student Finance Wales as he is ordinarily resident in Wales at the start of the first AY of the course. He completes the undergraduate degree in May 2020. In September 2020 he starts a master’s degree course in England. He is not eligible for PG Master’s from SFE as he is still considered to be ordinarily resident in Wales, having only moved to England for the purpose of undertaking his undergraduate and then progressed immediately to his master’s course. (Note that he is ineligible for PG Master’s from SFE whether he returned to Wales or remained in England during the intervening vacation period).’

You will need to continue to apply to SAAS but if SAAS don't offer funding then you will be required to self fund.

Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi,
Our guidance states:

Student Relocates After UG Funding (no gap in studies)
If the student moves/relocates to another domicile after studying an undergraduate course to study attend a Postgraduate Masters (PGM) the team will automatically make the student ineligible. This is due to the student being considered still resident in their original domicile, as per example:

EXAMPLE: ‘Terry starts an undergraduate degree in England in September 2016. He receives funding from Student Finance Wales as he is ordinarily resident in Wales at the start of the first AY of the course. He completes the undergraduate degree in May 2020. In September 2020 he starts a master’s degree course in England. He is not eligible for PG Master’s from SFE as he is still considered to be ordinarily resident in Wales, having only moved to England for the purpose of undertaking his undergraduate and then progressed immediately to his master’s course. (Note that he is ineligible for PG Master’s from SFE whether he returned to Wales or remained in England during the intervening vacation period).’

You will need to continue to apply to SAAS but if SAAS don't offer funding then you will be required to self fund.

Thanks, Isaac

th

Thanks for that. Not what I wanted to hear but a clear answer which is what I needed

If I remain in England and work for the next year. Would I then be able to apply next year as I would then be in England as an employee not a student I can’t afford to self-fund at the moment so I guess the Masters will have to wait.
Thanks for that. Not what I wanted to hear but a clear answer which is what I needed

If I remain in England and work for the next year. Would I then be able to apply next year as I would then be in England as an employee not a student I can’t afford to self-fund at the moment so I guess the Masters will have to wait.

If you remain in England to live/settle and then apply for funding then yes you should be eligible. It's only when you start the postgraduate course straight after graduating from the undergraduate course that we'd class you as still being resident in the original domicile (Scotland SAAS).

Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
If you remain in England to live/settle and then apply for funding then yes you should be eligible. It's only when you start the postgraduate course straight after graduating from the undergraduate course that we'd class you as still being resident in the original domicile (Scotland SAAS).

Thanks, Isaac

Thanks

Maybe next year then with a bit of luck
Thanks

Maybe next year then with a bit of luck

You're welcome - good luck with your future studies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending