The Student Room Group

Will there be more Clearing/Adjustment vacancies on A Level Results day?

IB student here, looking to apply through Adjustment after being rejected by my top 3 choices (Oxford, UCL, Imperial...)

My offer was 36 with a 6 in Math, I ended up getting a 40 with a 7 in Math... but most of the unis listed in Clearing with vacancies aren't ideal for me (I'm looking for a Russell level uni for engineering type courses). Does anyone know if there will be more spaces by A Level Results day?
Original post by iceberg113
IB student here, looking to apply through Adjustment after being rejected by my top 3 choices (Oxford, UCL, Imperial...)

My offer was 36 with a 6 in Math, I ended up getting a 40 with a 7 in Math... but most of the unis listed in Clearing with vacancies aren't ideal for me (I'm looking for a Russell level uni for engineering type courses). Does anyone know if there will be more spaces by A Level Results day?

Why did you get rejected then if you exceeded your offer?

RG isn't relevant for Engineering - look for accreditation [RG is a self-selecting club and not related to quality of the degree]. For example Bath is a good Engineering uni as is Loughborough and Brookes ...
I'm no expert but imo since Russel unis are competitive (especially for engineering/STEM majors I assume) I don't think there will be vacancies. However, you can be proactive and keep checking their website/updates and see if any places are still offered. Maybe send an email to the uni you like and pitch your deserved position so that they can try and accommodate you somehow? Keep at it and best of luck!

Nobody knows what courses will be included in clearing/adjustment this year. There are changes to the way A levels are assessed this year that might affect how many spaces there will be. Generally in previous years the kind of university you are referring to have not been in clearing and it is unlikely you will get into these through adjustment either. Will there be other Russell Group universities. The answer is that nobody knows but it is likely some RG universities will accept applicants. Which ones nobody knows until A level results day.
With a high IB score its worth phoning Unis like Southampton, Bristol, Warwick etc on Results Day as you will be eligible for *Adjustment* and therefore wont be relying on a course 'being in Clearing'. With exceptional grades, Unis will be interested in you.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Why did you get rejected then if you exceeded your offer?

RG isn't relevant for Engineering - look for accreditation [RG is a self-selecting club and not related to quality of the degree]. For example Bath is a good Engineering uni as is Loughborough and Brookes ...

I ended up firming my insurance choices (York), which had an offer of 36 and a 6 in Math. ICL, UCL and Oxford all rejected me. I really, really do not want to go to my insurance choices, and would rather look for a better uni
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
With a high IB score its worth phoning Unis like Southampton, Bristol, Warwick etc on Results Day as you will be eligible for *Adjustment* and therefore wont be relying on a course 'being in Clearing'. With exceptional grades, Unis will be interested in you.

What are the chances of a course having vacancies for me in Adjustment? I can't find anything about it online, and from what I've seen the Adjustment vacancies are exactly the same as the Clearing ones.
I ended up firming my insurance choices (York), which had an offer of 36 and a 6 in Math. ICL, UCL and Oxford all rejected me. I really, really do not want to go to my insurance choices, and would rather look for a better uni

It is highly unlikely any of these 3 will accept you. There is more chance of getting into UCL than the other 2. York is an excellent university. You can look and ring around elsewhere to see if they will accept you. The problem is that using TAGs last year double the students achieved grades A* and A than in exam year and nobody knows what percentages will achieve those grades this year until results day. This will impact on whether a university has any spaces

Look at the unis I suggested then ...

Quick Reply

Latest