The Student Room Group

Government considering mandatory covid-19 vaccine for all uni students

To be allowed on campus.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/students-vaccine-university-ban-johnson-b1890428.html

Currently they're only saying they're not 'ruling the idea out', but come September, I'm sure it will 100% be in effect. Kind of like how last year when 'conspiracy theorists' said we're soon going to have 'vaccine passports' for a regular free life, and they were called crazy.

What do we think about this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thoughts?
idk but I'm scared
The carrot approach has worked well but uptake amongst those in 20s is significantly lower.

Their is a sensible plan to do this, where you never force vaccination but you encourage it with the stick.

I do think the government should mandate all public sector workers get vaccinated or find alternative employment. Similarly they can encourage companies and organisations (including universities) to take similar policies but never force vaccination. Now their is obviously a time issue with many students unlikely to get fully vaccinated by October, to combat this they can simply require a negative lateral flow test done same day to enter universities for semester 1. (and hopefully a big enough inconvenience that they will get jabbed).
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
The carrot approach has worked well but uptake amongst those in 20s is significantly lower.

Their is a sensible plan to do this, where you never force vaccination but you encourage it with the stick.

I do think the government should mandate all public sector workers get vaccinated or find alternative employment. Similarly they can encourage companies and organisations (including universities) to take similar policies but never force vaccination.

That's what they're already doing/planning... and it's still called force. It's saying 'take this vaccination or be homeless'. 'Take this vaccination or be a second class human'. 'Take this vaccination or die of starvation'.

That's called force. Where you only have one option. The fact that you or anyone else would defend this or even slightly imply that it's normal is crazy to me.
Reply 5
Original post by jcnsidcdshdv
idk but I'm scared

Me too.
Original post by Anonymous
That's what they're already doing/planning... and it's still called force. It's saying 'take this vaccination or be homeless'. 'Take this vaccination or be a second class human'. 'Take this vaccination or die of starvation'.

That's called force. Where you only have one option. The fact that you or anyone else would defend this or even slightly imply that it's normal is crazy to me.

Utter nonsense.

Its individual employers making a decision about how they run their company/organisation and protect the current employees & stakeholders.
Anonymous exaggeration and hyperbole help no one.
Reply 8
Original post by jcnsidcdshdv
idk but I'm scared

There really is no reason to be. As of this moment, over 2 billion people have received a covid vaccine of some kind. If it hasn't started an I am Legend style apocalypse by now, it probably won't.

On the one hand, I think this may be going a bit far for encouraging vaccination and would prefer a bigger carrot, but on the other hand sometimes I just like to channel my inner Loki and watch people lose their minds. Decisions, decisions...
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mnot

I do think the government should mandate all public sector workers get vaccinated or find alternative employment. Similarly they can encourage companies and organisations (including universities) to take similar policies but never force vaccination. Now their is obviously a time issue with many students unlikely to get fully vaccinated by October, to combat this they can simply require a negative lateral flow test done same day to enter universities for semester 1. (and hopefully a big enough inconvenience that they will get jabbed).

wtf that's not okay, so if someone doesn't want to take the vaccine they should lose their jobs. saying take a vaccine or lose your main source of income is force and that's not okay. even if you do have the vaccine, you can still spread it.
The 17 threads on this topic that already exist not enough?

And why hide behind anon?
Original post by mnot
Utter nonsense.

Its individual employers making a decision about how they run their company/organisation and protect the current employees & stakeholders.

Individual employers making a decision? And what's the basis of these 'decisions'? ...The government.

Question - do you know the survival rate for the disease? Super significant to this discussion.
Original post by StriderHort
Anonymous exaggeration and hyperbole help no one.

Agreed.
Why not??
Original post by Drewski
And why hide behind anon?

So that I can share my opinions more freely and so that the content of the discussion can be focussed upon as opposed to me.

Feel free to share your thoughts on the topic if you have any
Reply 15
Question - do you know the survival rate for the disease? Super significant to this discussion.

Yes, and the danger from the disease is much higher than the risk of the vaccine. Logic dictates the vaccine be taken.
Original post by Talon
There really is no reason to be. As of this moment, over 2 billion people have received a covid vaccine of some kind. If it hasn't started an I am Legend style apocalypse by now, it probably won't.

This is not a movie, and things are not that simple. We can only see the effects of this experimental trial vaccine after more time has passed.
Original post by Talon
Yes, and the danger from the disease is much higher than the risk of the vaccine. Logic dictates the vaccine be taken.

What's the survival rate for the disease?
Feel free to share your thoughts on the topic if you have any

The many existing threads on this subject are more than enough.
Individual employers making a decision? And what's the basis of these 'decisions'? ...The government.

The survival rate is not the issue. Its the societal impact when in a short space of time thousands or millions become unwell with significant numbers requiring treatment at capacities vastly higher than what we have resources for. Of course the government has influence as does everybody but it would be employers decisions.

Besides employers are free to make their own reasonable employment requirements. If your unhappy, go start your own company or seek an alternative job.

Quick Reply