The Student Room Group

Cambridge PGCE then Move?

Currently Studying Mathematics in Birmingham, and I’d really like to do my PGCE at Cambridge University as well as an Masters of Education there, but would it be possible for me to move back to Birmingham and apply for jobs here? I know this is extremely uncommon but has anyone had any similar experiences of moving after their PGCE’s?
Hi @d0nkey_dude

It is not uncommon at all to move to other parts of the country from where you train. One of the beauties of teaching is that there are schools everywhere! You can apply for a teaching position wherever you like, regardless of where you did your training.

Sue
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hi @d0nkey_dude

It is not uncommon at all to move to other parts of the country from where you train. One of the beauties of teaching is that there are schools everywhere! You can apply for a teaching position wherever you like, regardless of where you did your training.

Sue

Hi Sue,

That’s great! Apart from looking on Tes, where else would you search for teaching jobs? I’m assuming you’d look around January time in order to start in September (the upcoming academic year)?
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hi @d0nkey_dude

Sue

Hi Sue,

That’s great to hear! Aside from TES, where else can you apply for teaching roles? I’m also assuming people generally start applying January time in order to start for the next academic year?
Original post by d0nkey_dude
Hi Sue,

That’s great to hear! Aside from TES, where else can you apply for teaching roles? I’m also assuming people generally start applying January time in order to start for the next academic year?

Hi @d0nkey_dude

There is a teaching vacancies website: https://teaching-vacancies.service.gov.uk/ where you can find jobs advertised. Also look on local sites, like LEA, social media and jobsites such as Guardian jobs and Indeed.

When to look is a difficult one. Yes, from January, but you may find more after Easter and even after the May half term holiday. Teachers have to hand in notice with a minimum of half a terms notice, so the last day they can resign for the following September is May 31st.

I hope that helps.

Sue
Currently Studying Mathematics in Birmingham, and I’d really like to do my PGCE at Cambridge University as well as an Masters of Education there, but would it be possible for me to move back to Birmingham and apply for jobs here? I know this is extremely uncommon but has anyone had any similar experiences of moving after their PGCE’s?

You can, but there are a couple of reasons why people don't do this. I did relocate after my PGCE, but knowing what I know now, I'd have done things differently.

Firstly, it is a real PITA going back and forth for interviews, especially when you get to interview and find out you're up against an internal candidate, or something. Teaching interviews are often a day long deal with an early start, so either you are getting up at the crack of dawn (not the best prep) or staying somewhere overnight (which gets expensive!).

Secondly, your PGCE is a great time to network with schools and build contacts, which are hugely important in teaching recruitment. A reference from a "known" source definitely has a higher value I think. Some schools are also just weird about employing someone from out of the area!

But it is definitely doable, so if it is something you really want to do then go for it.

I wouldn't choose Cambridge for your PGCE - I've heard some issues with some of the schools they use. I did my PGCE miles from where I got my first jpb
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You can, but there are a couple of reasons why people don't do this. I did relocate after my PGCE, but knowing what I know now, I'd have done things differently.

Firstly, it is a real PITA going back and forth for interviews, especially when you get to interview and find out you're up against an internal candidate, or something. Teaching interviews are often a day long deal with an early start, so either you are getting up at the crack of dawn (not the best prep) or staying somewhere overnight (which gets expensive!).

Secondly, your PGCE is a great time to network with schools and build contacts, which are hugely important in teaching recruitment. A reference from a "known" source definitely has a higher value I think. Some schools are also just weird about employing someone from out of the area!

But it is definitely doable, so if it is something you really want to do then go for it.

Thanks, I do know some Unis in brum have a decent department for education like bcu and uob, so i’ll definitely consider it
Original post by Muttley79
I wouldn't choose Cambridge for your PGCE - I've heard some issues with some of the schools they use. I did my PGCE miles from where I got my first jpb

Where did you do your pgce and in what subject? If you don’t mind me asking?
Where did you do your pgce and in what subject? If you don’t mind me asking?

Maths and Oxford.
Original post by Muttley79
Maths and Oxford.

What was it like? Did you enjoy your pgce? Any tips?
What was it like? Did you enjoy your pgce? Any tips?

I chose it for the geographical location tbh - it really doesn't matter where you do your PGCE. Just find out about placement schools and how far thet can send you.

Quick Reply

Latest