The Student Room Group

gcse english language paper 2 question 5

For this question, do you only write from one side of the argument or both sides? I feel like writing from both sides may detract from your point of view.
You can do anything you want because the questions asks about your view. So you can write I agree, I disagree, or I partially agree and then support both sides.
Original post by zaza66yosup
For this question, do you only write from one side of the argument or both sides? I feel like writing from both sides may detract from your point of view.

I have just finished my GCSEs and I was consistently receiving grade 9s. My opinion is that it is difficult to convey a well-thought out argument if you only write points that support your own argument. Of course this is necessary to advance but to supplement this, it is vital to also provide counterpoints to rebuttal the view of the opposition. If you would like me too I could send you a few of my essays to show how this can be applied to an actual exam question.
Original post by bkjknkjkbj
I have just finished my GCSEs and I was consistently receiving grade 9s. My opinion is that it is difficult to convey a well-thought out argument if you only write points that support your own argument. Of course this is necessary to advance but to supplement this, it is vital to also provide counterpoints to rebuttal the view of the opposition. If you would like me too I could send you a few of my essays to show how this can be applied to an actual exam question.

Yes please! Thank you!

Yh ,I agree.For the counterpoints, you could say how some people may have a certain point, but you could explain why this viewpoint is wrong to make your argument stronger
Yes please! Thank you!

Of course, I have attached a grade 9 example below that I wrote. My teacher scored it 37/40 so hopefully it should help you! The debate statement was "Should the police force be given guns on duty?"
(edited 2 years ago)
Of course, I have attached a grade 9 example below that I wrote. My teacher scored it 37/40 so hopefully it should help you! The debate statement was "Should the police force be given guns on duty?"

Wow! It looks so simple but so effective! I feel like I was trying to over-complicate the situation. You are a legend! Thank you!
Wow! It looks so simple but so effective! I feel like I was trying to over-complicate the situation. You are a legend! Thank you!

Hey no problem, I'm glad it helped! If you need any help in any of your subjects feel free to ask and hopefully I should be able to assist you.
Hey no problem, I'm glad it helped! If you need any help in any of your subjects feel free to ask and hopefully I should be able to assist you.

Hey, did you happen to take Geography by any chance?

I hope it is no trouble, but are you able to give me feedback for my work as well? You seem quite reliable :smile:
Yes I did! I can't lie I didn't love it but I feel like I understood the content quite well
I hope it is no trouble, but are you able to give me feedback for my work as well? You seem quite reliable :smile:

Yh ofc, the way I see it is I can't change my grades now but I can try my best to help you yr 11s to get the best grades possible
(edited 2 years ago)
Yh ofc, the way I see it is I can't change my grades now but I can try my best to help you yr 11s to get the best grades possible

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending