The Student Room Group

is 25 too old to start vet school?

is 25 too old to start the graduate accelerated course at vet school? what's the average age of students doing this course?
Original post by MiracleLeaf
is 25 too old to start the graduate accelerated course at vet school? what's the average age of students doing this course?

Idk the average age, but it’s never too late. There’s no specific age that you need to get anything done by, just go in your own pace. We all have different journeys with different hurdles, etc.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Its never to late
Original post by zz2002
Idk the average age, but it’s never too late. There’s no specific age that you need to get anything done by, just go in your own pace. We all have different journeys with different hurdles, etc.

Good luck :smile:

thank you ! i know but it's just stressful to think I might be 29 when I finish studying ! like that's my whole 20s just spent at uni
I'm only 21 now but by the time I graduate my undergrad I'll be 22 almost 23, and I'll need at least a year to save money for the graduate course so it's just a bit stressful lol
thank you ! i know but it's just stressful to think I might be 29 when I finish studying ! like that's my whole 20s just spent at uni
I'm only 21 now but by the time I graduate my undergrad I'll be 22 almost 23, and I'll need at least a year to save money for the graduate course so it's just a bit stressful lol

I completely understand you. A lot of people have set certain milestones of when you should have achieved something by hence why we worry so much. Those milestones make us think that that’s the set way to go and if you’ve not done that by that time you’ve failed. But we’re all different lol, we go through different things in life to get to a certain position, no one’s journey is the same. You could even look at it as you’ll be spending your 20s doing what you love the most? Going to vet school and studying, living your dreams, etc. You’ll be working towards your dream career. Your experience will be what you make out of it, so you could take the negative thought of spending your 20s at uni to positive reasons of why you’re going there. There are people much older than you who even go to uni.

As hard as it sound, you’ll be fine, I promise! There will even be people your age on your course. I wish you the very best :smile: feel free to pm me if you have still have worries :smile:
I actually went to the vet yesterday with my dog and he also did a degree first then the graduate programme, and he graduated as a vet when he was 30. He's an absolutely lovely vet. On any vet course there will be a mix of students of all different ages for many reasons, one that it is so competitive or people want to change direction later in life, and I'm sure you won't be the only one that age or the oldest even. On the graduate course obviously everyone will have done a first degree so will be around your age, and many people will probably have had to take years out to try fund the second degree as it isn't cheap. If this is what you want, go for it! Don't let age stop you.
Reply 6
I’ve currently just finished the first year of the accelerated vet med course and I’m in my late 20s, there is quite a large range of ages from 21/22 to 31/32.
Original post by Pippin93
I’ve currently just finished the first year of the accelerated vet med course and I’m in my late 20s, there is quite a large range of ages from 21/22 to 31/32.

oh amazing thanks ! how are you finding it? is it really intense?
also what would you say is the average age on your course?
You aren't too old, most students will be under 30 but there will be older students, don't worry.
Reply 9
oh amazing thanks ! how are you finding it? is it really intense?
also what would you say is the average age on your course?

I love it but it is intense! As long as you keep up through the year and you have a good study style it’s fine. If you have done a degree in a related subject it also gives a leg up as a lot of the basics you will have already covered, good quality work experience prior really helps as well!
As we haven’t really met most of the year yet I can only go off the group of people I know and would say 25 is quite average however there are us who are on the older side of that scale and have no problem integrating! As everyone is very serious about this career choice there is a lot less of the nonsense and clique stuff than I noticed on my first degree!
Reply 10
Not at all too late to apply. There's no correct age to start but if you want an average age the majority of people I see in vet school have a prior degree so usually early mid twenties but there's PLENTY of people older and younger than that
I know of students who will graduate in their 40s/50s. It's only too old if you believe it is.

For me, I would rather be doing something I love and so it would never be too late. :smile:

One of my good friends on the course (I’m a first year- started in April) is 26! And I know a lot of students who are older because they’ve studied a degree first!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending