The Student Room Group

Personal statement for mechanical egineering

Hi guys,

Hope you guys are well and everything, could anyone one of you guys share their personal statement with me for specifically mechanical engineering or it could be any engineering also. Would really appreciate it, as I’m the first one in my family going to university, no one can’t even help me with it. Would really be thankful.

Thank you!
Reply 1
TSR has an archive of personal statements sorted by subject: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/personal-statements-by-subject

Some are good, some bad, some will make you feel inadequate. As long as you can convincingly say why you picked the subject and how you show your interest in it, you should be fine.
Original post by Jzhaujahahah
Hi guys,

Hope you guys are well and everything, could anyone one of you guys share their personal statement with me for specifically mechanical engineering or it could be any engineering also. Would really appreciate it, as I’m the first one in my family going to university, no one can’t even help me with it. Would really be thankful.

Thank you!

Hey @Jzhaujahahah :smile: You can find some good examples on TSR in the section already mentioned above!

Thought I'd pop in to offer some general advice too. When you're writing your personal statement you should think of skills that you have that will help in the world of Engineering. Great ones are problem solving, communication and working under pressure to name a few- so think of things that you've done and how they can show that you're capable. They don't even need to be examples directly related to Engineering, as even being a part of a sports team shows great communication and team working skills, for example.

Write down everything you've been up to over the past few years on a blank sheet of paper and then scribble around these to show what you've gained from them. You'll then have a really good idea of things you can use to show your passion and suitability for the course. You also want to show that you understand Engineering and what it's all about- so consider finding a project or industry that excites you from an Engineering perspective and you can chat about that (e.g. if you're interested in the Energy sector visit a wind farm to provide some inspitation maybe?).

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck with it :biggrin:
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
For an engineering PS you can talk about any extra reading/watching/listening you've done, as well as projects (e.g. through school, for competitions and just for fun). Focus on why you were interested in them and for projects talk about how you did them (showing things like problem solving, mentioned above). Team ones are great to mention too, but make sure you focus on how you worked together.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Interrobang
For an engineering PS you can talk about any extra reading/watching/listening you've done, as well as projects (e.g. through school, for competitions and just for fun). Focus on why you were interested in them and for projects talk about how you did them (showing things like problem solving, mentioned above). Team ones are great to mention too, but make sure you focus on how you worked together.

What if, I haven’t done any projects or extra Extracurricular?
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Jzhaujahahah :smile: You can find some good examples on TSR in the section already mentioned above!

Thought I'd pop in to offer some general advice too. When you're writing your personal statement you should think of skills that you have that will help in the world of Engineering. Great ones are problem solving, communication and working under pressure to name a few- so think of things that you've done and how they can show that you're capable. They don't even need to be examples directly related to Engineering, as even being a part of a sports team shows great communication and team working skills, for example.

Write down everything you've been up to over the past few years on a blank sheet of paper and then scribble around these to show what you've gained from them. You'll then have a really good idea of things you can use to show your passion and suitability for the course. You also want to show that you understand Engineering and what it's all about- so consider finding a project or industry that excites you from an Engineering perspective and you can chat about that (e.g. if you're interested in the Energy sector visit a wind farm to provide some inspitation maybe?).

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck with it :biggrin:
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Thank you soo much about the information, I moved to Scotland like a year ago from a 3rd world country, I haven’t done Extracurricular activities or done any projects. Plus, should I just talk abt engineering as in overall or it should be specifically mechanical engineering? Thank you again!
Original post by Jzhaujahahah
What if, I haven’t done any projects or extra Extracurricular?

Then you’ve got time to get involved with something to do some project work. Engineering degrees generally include a lot of project based work and assessment so if you want to study mecheng it’s good to be sure that you enjoy that way of working as well as the subject content.
Hey man, I've just come across this personal statement guide from the education resource company, Twinkl. It seems really good and could be what you need :smile:

https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/writing-a-personal-statement-a-student-guide-resource-pack-t-p-1052

Until next time,

PP x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending