The Student Room Group

Guy losing weight in a relationship?

He looks good but he's no longer like his former self. He's healthy and seems happy but his weight loss and lanky figure is hard to not notice.

How can a happy relationship lead to this?
Are you sure he's healthy? My boyfriend at uni started losing weight despite eating normally. Weeks later he collapsed, was rushed to a hospital and diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

Unintentional weight loss is always worth discussing with GP. If he's eating normally and weight still drops off, it might be health or stress. Or other reasons. Ruling out physical cause is a good idea.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lastlullabyy
Are you sure he's healthy? My boyfriend at uni started losing weight despite eating normally. Weeks later he collapsed, was rushed to a hospital and diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

Unintentional weight loss is always worth discussing with GP. If he's eating normally and weight still drops off, it's not normal.

Projecting a bit surely? :redface:
Original post by StriderHort
Projecting a bit surely? :redface:

Apologies if this is how it sounded, wasn't my intention. Just that there might be an underlying cause and nothing to do with the relationship. Asking GP for advice and ruling out any physical cause is always a good idea. Maybe he's under stress for reasons other than relationship? Or maybe his metabolism is good.

It just sounded like OP might be thinking it could be their fault and it's probably not.
Original post by lastlullabyy
Apologies if this is how it sounded, wasn't my intention. Just that there might be an underlying cause and nothing to do with the relationship. Asking GP for advice and ruling out any physical cause is always a good idea. Maybe he's under stress for reasons other than relationship? Or maybe his metabolism is good.

It just sounded like OP might be thinking it could be their fault and it's probably not.

The bit in bold is what i'm kinda disagreeing with, you shouldn't run to a GP about every little imagined thing and certainly not because a stranger online has put the idea in your head. The OP didn't say one word about the weight loss being unintentional, health related or even dramatic, and that's really the cue you should be waiting for before implying it's a health matter imo.

just my 2p anyway. I can certainly see how such an experience would alter your view on such things.

To boil it down, it's like me saying i'm off my food, and you saying i should go see someone for an eating disorder without any further info, when the really obvious answer might be 'It's too hot for big meals'
Original post by StriderHort
The bit in bold is what i'm kinda disagreeing with, you shouldn't run to a GP about every little imagined thing and certainly not because a stranger online has put the idea in your head. The OP didn't say one word about the weight loss being unintentional, health related or even dramatic, and that's really the cue you should be waiting for before implying it's a health matter imo.

just my 2p anyway. I can certainly see how such an experience would alter your view on such things.

To boil it down, it's like me saying i'm off my food, and you saying i should go see someone for an eating disorder without any further info, when the really obvious answer might be 'It's too hot for big meals'

Weight loss is a symptom of so many illnesses though. If it is uninentional her advice is fine. OP just needs to reply and specificy whether it's intentional or not. Or ask the boyfriend if she doesn't know.
Original post by Anonymous
He looks good but he's no longer like his former self. He's healthy and seems happy but his weight loss and lanky figure is hard to not notice.

How can a happy relationship lead to this?

You haven't given enough information though lol. He might just think he's fat and is losing weight intentionally because he thinks it looks better.

Or he might just be too lazy to eat proper meals and feed himself if he's got loads of work to do.

There are so many mundane reasons it could be.

Have you asked him?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Chicken.M.
You haven't given enough information though lol. He might just think he's fat and is losing weight intentionally because he thinks it looks better.

Or he might just be too lazy to eat proper meals and feed himself if he's got loads of work to do.

There are so many mundane reasons it could be.

Have you asked him?

He was never fat. He was perfectly proportionate. Great legs, physique. Now he's simply slender
Doesn't look like it lol.
It's hard. He will feel I'm mocking his weight. Also he looks like he's always thinking something.
It's hard. He will feel I'm mocking his weight. Also he looks like he's always thinking something.

Don't over think it lol. If you ask him as if you're genuinely curious he won't think anything of it.

All you need to say is 'BF, are you on a diet? You've lost loads of weight.'

And if he says 'no'

Then ask, 'oh, what have you been doing then?'

And then he'll explain the reason if you didn't already get the answer in the first question. It's not rude to ask men about their weight like it is with women. Most men don't care and they aren't awkward about it. It only becomes rude if it's a complete stranger and you're basically telling them they're fat.
(edited 2 years ago)

Switched to another account to go on anon?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending