The Student Room Group

Distancelearningcentre.com

Hi all, I’m looking into studying an access to higher education diploma and just wanted to know if anyone knows if the website distancelearningcentre.com is legit? Has anyone had any experience with them and if so what was you experience? I’ve come across this website as I am looking to become a mature student and need the flexibility right now as I do have a full time job. My goal is to go to university in 2022 and in order to meet that goal I need to study an access to higher education diploma and from the research I’ve done this website seems legit and the best way for me to study because of the flexibility.
Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.
What subjects are you wanting to study for the Access to HE, along with the degree you want to go into?
Reply 2
Original post by NovaeSci
What subjects are you wanting to study for the Access to HE, along with the degree you want to go into?

Hey, thanks for the response. Well I’m looking at doing an access to higher education course through that website in business and accounting. And I want to go into an accounting and finance degree at university and don’t mind if I have to do a foundation year.
Do you have any previous studies? If you already have college-level, in any subject, you can use that to get on to an Accounting degree. the entry subjects aren't as set in stone as subjects like Physics. If you have, but not recent, then a foundation year you'll stand a very good chance of getting on to as well.

I'm about to start an Access to HE in Maths and Physics, at the University of Glasgow, with the aim to go into Physics with Astrophysics at the same University. They also do courses in other subjects.

The good thing about their Access courses this coming year is that it is all done online due to Covid. Normally, you would have to attend. But with being online, you can now pretty much study from anywhere in the UK.

The courses look top-notch, and the fact they're designed to go straight into their own degrees, definitely says something. But you can use them to go to other Universities, which many other students have successfully done.

The good thing as well is that these are Part-time, so you could essentially work alongside them. Just to note, the courses cost £290 each, which is pretty cheap. Mind, education up here is pretty cheap, anyway. That includes lectures, tutorials, tutor support, exams, etc. Basically the whole package.

See the link below for more information.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/study/short/accesscourses/access2021-22/

Is it the University experience you are wanting, by the way? As there are many better options that don't require university, such as starting with your AAT Accounting qualifications and moving up the ladder as you work.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Do you have any previous studies? If you already have college-level, in any subject, you can use that to get on to an Accounting degree. the entry subjects aren't as set in stone as subjects like Physics. If you have, but not recent, then a foundation year you'll stand a very good chance of getting on to as well.

I'm about to start an Access to HE in Maths and Physics, at the University of Glasgow, with the aim to go into Physics with Astrophysics at the same University. They also do courses in other subjects.

The good thing about their Access courses this coming year is that it is all done online due to Covid. Normally, you would have to attend. But with being online, you can now pretty much study from anywhere in the UK.

The courses look top-notch, and the fact they're designed to go straight into their own degrees, definitely says something. But you can use them to go to other Universities, which many other students have successfully done.

The good thing as well is that these are Part-time, so you could essentially work alongside them. Just to note, the courses cost £290 each, which is pretty cheap. Mind, education up here is pretty cheap, anyway. That includes lectures, tutorials, tutor support, exams, etc. Basically the whole package.

See the link below for more information.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/study/short/accesscourses/access2021-22/

Is it the University experience you are wanting, by the way? As there are many better options that don't require university, such as starting with your AAT Accounting qualifications and moving up the ladder as you work.

Hey, thanks for the response. Well I didn’t do that well in school when I was younger. I have my GCSEs in English and maths at grade C in English and grade B in maths. And I have BTEC level 2s in business studies and IT.

oh wow that’s pretty amazing. I didn’t know that. I’m from Leicester, england, would it still be possible to study them from here? Because that price is WAY cheaper than the distance learning centre I’ve looked at. There it’s going to cost me £1247. But the good thing with them is that you set your own Start and finish date. The course can be done within 6 months, which Is approximately the time I wanted tk finish the course.

because they’re part time, does that mean it’ll take longer than a year to complete? As my goal is to go to university in 2022?

to be honest, I just feel so determined and focused now that I want to set a goal for myself and reach it. But alongside that I do want the university experience. I’m 26 now, yeah it’s a little late but not too late.
Original post by Shain21
Hey, thanks for the response. Well I didn’t do that well in school when I was younger. I have my GCSEs in English and maths at grade C in English and grade B in maths. And I have BTEC level 2s in business studies and IT.

oh wow that’s pretty amazing. I didn’t know that. I’m from Leicester, england, would it still be possible to study them from here? Because that price is WAY cheaper than the distance learning centre I’ve looked at. There it’s going to cost me £1247. But the good thing with them is that you set your own Start and finish date. The course can be done within 6 months, which Is approximately the time I wanted tk finish the course.

because they’re part time, does that mean it’ll take longer than a year to complete? As my goal is to go to university in 2022?

to be honest, I just feel so determined and focused now that I want to set a goal for myself and reach it. But alongside that I do want the university experience. I’m 26 now, yeah it’s a little late but not too late.

I'm from England (32 years old) as well. I actually moved up here and accidentally discovered it. I was hoping to attend, but it's all online, so it's a lucky window for students elsewhere in the UK. So, you will have no problem studying it from where you are. I think it will be back in person from 2022 onwards.

Just to note, £290 is per subject. You usually have to study 2, or possibly a third. The third is usually if you are studying something like Chemical Physics and need Maths, Physics and Chemistry. But you can always choose a third if you want.

For their finance and accountancy degrees, they advise:

Access Subjects:
BAcc: Economics + Maths*
BSc: Maths* + either Economics or one Science subject
UCAS NOTE: Access Maths + Economics may also allow applications to general Social Sciences.
* if choosing Maths, you should be ready to start working at the equivalent of National 5 level (this is GCSE level) as the course will progress quickly. See Advice for those wishing to enrol on Access Maths, Physics, or Chemistry.

Depending on the universities you wish to go to, I would contact them asking if they will accept 2 of these Access courses. Many students have had no problems, but it's better safe than sorry. But, if you follow the previous link, then it contains all details. To be honest, you should have no issue getting on the full degree and skipping the foundation year. But with these, you will most definitely get accepted onto a foundation year if it was at a higher reputation university.

Just to add, the subjects are either studied in the evenings, or on the weekend. If you look at the timetable on that link, it should advise you. And yes, it's only one year. It runs from September to March.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm from England (32 years old) as well. I actually moved up here and accidentally discovered it. I was hoping to attend, but it's all online, so it's a lucky window for students elsewhere in the UK. So, you will have no problem studying it from where you are. I think it will be back in person from 2022 onwards.

Just to note, £290 is per subject. You usually have to study 2, or possibly a third. The third is usually if you are studying something like Chemical Physics and need Maths, Physics and Chemistry. But you can always choose a third if you want.

For their finance and accountancy degrees, they advise:

Access Subjects:
BAcc: Economics + Maths*
BSc: Maths* + either Economics or one Science subject
UCAS NOTE: Access Maths + Economics may also allow applications to general Social Sciences.
* if choosing Maths, you should be ready to start working at the equivalent of National 5 level (this is GCSE level) as the course will progress quickly. See Advice for those wishing to enrol on Access Maths, Physics, or Chemistry.

Depending on the universities you wish to go to, I would contact them asking if they will accept 2 of these Access courses. Many students have had no problems, but it's better safe than sorry. But, if you follow the previous link, then it contains all details. To be honest, you should have no issue getting on the full degree and skipping the foundation year. But with these, you will most definitely get accepted onto a foundation year if it was at a higher reputation university.

Just to add, the subjects are either studied in the evenings, or on the weekend. If you look at the timetable on that link, it should advise you. And yes, it's only one year. It runs from September to March.

Oh wow so it’s pretty much only 7 months. I wanted to get it done by March/April aswell.
yeah my preferred universities are pretty much any university in Birmingham or Manchester as it’s still close to home but I still want that independence.

when looking at the accounting degree requirements at those specific universities, it doesn’t really say what subjects in the access to higher education you need to study. Under entry requirements, it just says access to higher education.

I assume there aren’t limited spaces as it is done all online? So I could probably apply anytime before the start date? I would apply ASAP but I still need to do a little more research.

also, are there options for a student loan for these courses or do you have to pay out of your own pocket?
Original post by Shain21
Hey, thanks for the response. Well I’m looking at doing an access to higher education course through that website in business and accounting. And I want to go into an accounting and finance degree at university and don’t mind if I have to do a foundation year.

Hi @Shain21, the best option would be for you to check the QAA database of registered providers. https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search This will show you all of the training providers in the UK that are approved and quality assured to deliver Access to Higher Education Diploma's. (You can search by subject too). Also if you haven't already, have a look at the degrees you are interested in and find out how many UCAS points you will need from your access diploma so then you will know whether you need to aim for pass, merits or distinctions. Kind regards Tara
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Shain21
Oh wow so it’s pretty much only 7 months. I wanted to get it done by March/April aswell.
yeah my preferred universities are pretty much any university in Birmingham or Manchester as it’s still close to home but I still want that independence.

when looking at the accounting degree requirements at those specific universities, it doesn’t really say what subjects in the access to higher education you need to study. Under entry requirements, it just says access to higher education.

I assume there aren’t limited spaces as it is done all online? So I could probably apply anytime before the start date? I would apply ASAP but I still need to do a little more research.

also, are there options for a student loan for these courses or do you have to pay out of your own pocket?

The courses can get filled up. But they have added extra course times, especially for maths, so you should hopefully be ok with that. Studying Economics and Maths would be enough to get on to a BSc, but or a BAcc, you could just take a science subject alongside maths, if you prefer.

Have you thought about studying for your AAT Level 2 and 3 qualifications? You could easily do this in 6-12 months, and from home - you would just need to book in for the exams. And Level 3 is equivalent to A-Levels and is in Accounting, as well.

Also, unless you were a resident in Scotland, you would have to pay the fee as English loans don't cover outside Engand.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi it is 100% legit I did a course on there that universities accepted
Original post by Moonlight rain
Hi it is 100% legit I did a course on there that universities accepted

At Glasgow?
At Glasgow?

No other unis
Original post by Moonlight rain
No other unis

Sorry, got lost within the thread then and forgot the original title of the thread, haha.
Reply 13
This question invariably gets asked every month.

In short - it's legit. Yes, the website looks horrendous but everything beyond that is fine.

I sat my Access to HE 4 years ago. Have just finished Uni. Will be starting my new career imminently!
Reply 14
I am so glad to see this information thank you 😊 for sharing
Original post by Shain21
Hi all, I’m looking into studying an access to higher education diploma and just wanted to know if anyone knows if the website distancelearningcentre.com is legit? Has anyone had any experience with them and if so what was you experience? I’ve come across this website as I am looking to become a mature student and need the flexibility right now as I do have a full time job. My goal is to go to university in 2022 and in order to meet that goal I need to study an access to higher education diploma and from the research I’ve done this website seems legit and the best way for me to study because of the flexibility.
Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Hi there
I strongly recommend NEC ( National Extension College Cambridge) . They do distance learning accounting, business and management courses. I have used them myself in the past and the tutors are excellent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending