The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Do people usually speak to flatmates before moving in?

When do we get offers and know which accom and blocks we are in?

Do people typically speak to each other before moving in too? I know people do this on Facebook but I don’t have much social media. Would this put me at a disadvantage?

Cheers
Original post by Anonymous

Do people typically speak to each other before moving in too? I know people do this on Facebook but I don’t have much social media. Would this put me at a disadvantage?

Cheers

I can’t answer your first question, but in answer to people speaking before actually moving in, I’d say it’s fairly common for people to message new housemates on social media whether Facebook or WhatsApp etc. However I wouldn’t say this is where long term friendships are made and, as long as you put effort in when you meet them in person, you shouldn’t be at any disadvantage.
University of York
York
Reply 2

Cheers

If you're joining York as a Fresher this September/October, I don't quite know when you'll get confirmation of your accommodation and block details - obviously, this is subject to you meeting the entry requirements for your course.

If you're a continuing student (second year or above), we got our accommodation details confirmed quite early this year, and the room details followed shortly after.

To answer the second part of your question, yes - people try to get to know their future flatmates before moving in where possible via social media. Personally, I was added to a gc for my college (I was in Vanbrugh, now Goodricke) and I met a few people there, but I mostly met them all in person when I moved in. I wouldn't worry too much if you don't use social media that much, just be yourself when you meet them and perhaps be on everyone's good books by exchanging stuff such as sweets/food, and keep your door open when your free so you can get to know your flatmates better. Obviously, do that whilst keeping in mind the relevant Covid guidance. I hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
If you're joining York as a Fresher this September/October, I don't quite know when you'll get confirmation of your accommodation and block details - obviously, this is subject to you meeting the entry requirements for your course.

If you're a continuing student (second year or above), we got our accommodation details confirmed quite early this year, and the room details followed shortly after.

To answer the second part of your question, yes - people try to get to know their future flatmates before moving in where possible via social media. Personally, I was added to a gc for my college (I was in Vanbrugh, now Goodricke) and I met a few people there, but I mostly met them all in person when I moved in. I wouldn't worry too much if you don't use social media that much, just be yourself when you meet them and perhaps be on everyone's good books by exchanging stuff such as sweets/food, and keep your door open when your free so you can get to know your flatmates better. Obviously, do that whilst keeping in mind the relevant Covid guidance. I hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks so much, this was really helpful! :smile: Are you a second year student returning to halls?

I’ve got an unconditional course offer as I took a gap year so I already have my results. I’m just going to assume I get the accommodation room offer the same time as everyone else? :confused: I’m not entirely sure haha.

Did you just get an email confirming which room you were offered?
Reply 4
Thanks so much, this was really helpful! :smile: Are you a second year student returning to halls?

I’ve got an unconditional course offer as I took a gap year so I already have my results. I’m just going to assume I get the accommodation room offer the same time as everyone else? :confused: I’m not entirely sure haha.

No worries. I've just finished my second year so I'll be in my third year as of September and yes, I'll be returning to halls.

Ah fairs - I don't know when you'll get your accommodation offer, probably the same time as everyone else as you say.

Yes, I got an email confirming my uni accommodation, but details of my room number was confirmed in a separate email several weeks apart. I was in Vanbrugh and I'll be in Goodricke as of September - I still have no idea who will be my flatmates. I have tried posting on private group pages on Facebook, but with no luck so far - only managed to find somebody who lives in the house next to me. :smile:
Reply 5

Heya! As someone else who is just waiting to start in September who already has results, I can confirm we'll receive our Accommodation offer on August 10th, which is A-Level Results Day! :smile:

Cheers

Hi!

You'll get your room offer on results day (pending your results) which will give you your college, room type and let length. If you accept your offer, you will receive a room number in September.

It honestly depends, some people like to try and find their coursemates and housemates before starting and some don't. It's completely up to you, there's no right or wrong way!

If you would like to join our Official University of York Freshers 2021/22 group on Facebook you can do, but again it's up to you.

When I started at York, I did join a group chat for my course online and my college Facebook group. I'd say it was about 50/50 for those who did and those who didn't on my course and in my halls. Personally, I found the complete unknown of who I was going to meet at uni stressful, so it helped me to find out some names and faces of people I would be around. However, I wouldn't say that people made friends until we all actually met each other in real life, so I don't think you'd be at a disadvantage if you didn't want to do any social media before starting. Everyone is in the same boat on your first day and there will be lots of chances to meet everyone, get chatting and make friends once you're at uni!

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help! :smile:

Hazel
Graduate Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending