The Student Room Group

ucas- writing personal statement for 2 completely different subjects

would it be stupid to apply for economics as your last non-medicine degree in ucas? i was wondering if this is advisable considering the uni will probs know that im thinking of doing medicine (as my ps will be largely based off that) and this is my backup so they'll end up choosing someone else?
am i allowed to do this and then ring up the uni and give them a different personal statement for economics?
or is there a way to write a personal statement that is a balance of both
im so confused
Are you sure that you want to apply for medicine if economics is the next best course you can think of?
Original post by li2
would it be stupid to apply for economics as your last non-medicine degree in ucas? i was wondering if this is advisable considering the uni will probs know that im thinking of doing medicine (as my ps will be largely based off that) and this is my backup so they'll end up choosing someone else?
am i allowed to do this and then ring up the uni and give them a different personal statement for economics?
im so confused

If you want to send a separate personal statement you'll have to make 2 separate ucas forms. Sending a ucas form for 1 uni costs £20 while sending it for 5 costs £26 (no in-between). Also, I'd say never send a personal statement that blends 2 subjects, especially if they're not that heavily linked, as you're more likely to end up getting rejected. So I'd advise either making 2 ucas forms for each subject, choose a more linked subject such as biomedical sciences as your 5th (obviously don't do this if you want to study it) or you can just apply to a 5th medical school (assuming it is medicine that you're applying for).

Edit: Read post directly below for a little correction :tongue:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by JustSomeGuy:/
If you want to send a separate personal statement you'll have to make 2 separate ucas forms. Sending a ucas form for 1 uni costs £20 while sending it for 5 costs £26 (no in-between). Also, I'd say never send a personal statement that blends 2 subjects, especially if they're not that heavily linked, as you're more likely to end up getting rejected. So I'd advise either making 2 ucas forms for each subject, choose a more linked subject such as biomedical sciences as your 5th (obviously don't do this if you want to study it) or you can just apply to a 5th medical school (assuming it is medicine that you're applying for).

You can't do this.

If you apply for one course, then pay the additional fee to add more choices, you're just submitting exactly the same app to them, including the PS.
Original post by Admit-One
You can't do this.

If you apply for one course, then pay the additional fee to add more choices, you're just submitting exactly the same app to them, including the PS.

Oh sorry, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for correcting me!
Very few universities allow for a separate PS, I know Durham and LSE do though.
Original post by random_matt
Very few universities allow for a separate PS, I know Durham and LSE do though.

"It is important to note that LSE does not accept replacement or supplementary personal statements."
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Completing-the-UCAS-form/Personal-Statement
Original post by PQ
"It is important to note that LSE does not accept replacement or supplementary personal statements."
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Completing-the-UCAS-form/Personal-Statement

Ok, my mistake.
Original post by JustSomeGuy:/
Oh sorry, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for correcting me!

Not a problem, it's not a commonly taken route, (although it probably should be).
Original post by li2
im so confused

It's a very risky option, yes.

For most unis, Economics is a well-subscribed course, (massively oversubscribed in many cases). For this reason it is more likely to closely assess and score your PS. For that reason, a non-Econ statement is likely to put you out of the running in an awful lot of cases.

As above, you could enquire first as to whether they are willing to accept an additional statement, but they've under no obligation to do so and you are relying on goodwill on their part.

Most fifth choices for Medicine apps are Bioscience or somesuch and unis are aware and make allowances for a medicine-focussed PS. That won't be the case for Econ.

I agree with PQ that you should probably focus on one or the other direction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending