The Student Room Group

Barbell overhead press vs dumbell shoulder press?

I only do compound lifts only and I'm wondering Which would be better?
Why do you do only compound exercises?
Db has more range of motion and has the advantage of being a unilateral exercise.
Bb can be progressively overloaded much more easily.
Reply 2
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Db has more range of motion and has the advantage of being a unilateral exercise.

I box aswell so I just stick to compounds only for my strength training, I'm just wondering which one would be better
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Isolation exercises are just as important as compounds. You, ideally, want a mixture of both. But, for your specific question, I'd say barbell is better if you want heavier loads; if not, dumbbells should do just fine.
Original post by Agent456
I box aswell so I just stick to compounds only for my strength training, I'm just wondering which one would be better

Barbell then.
I was going to say better for what? But unless you are specifically training for say strongman or as an accessory to improve your clean and jerk, I'd say they both have their place from both a broad strength or hypertrophy perspective.

I use to be all about viewing the barbell as king for strength, but found incorporating dumbbell pressing movements led to my bench improving by 12.5 kg in just over a year, which is an insane improvement. Guess the inherent instability of dumbbells has a far bit of carryover.
Original post by Trilobite.
I was going to say better for what? But unless you are specifically training for say strongman or as an accessory to improve your clean and jerk, I'd say they both have their place from both a broad strength or hypertrophy perspective.

I use to be all about viewing the barbell as king for strength, but found incorporating dumbbell pressing movements led to my bench improving by 12.5 kg in just over a year, which is an insane improvement. Guess the inherent instability of dumbbells has a far bit of carryover.

What number is your bench at? 12.5kg a year for a novice or intermediate seems pretty slow. 10kg at least every 3 months on the bench and 7.5kg on the OHP would seem like decent progress. Advanced intermediate obviously slightly slower but still 12.5kg a year seems slow even compared to advanced lifters.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r

How does DB have more range of motion? I see more people pressing from their faces without any pause using DB. A proper overhead barbell press would start at the clavicles of the shoulder under the chin and pause between reps. Surely that has greater ROM?

Compound lifts are king and if it's a choice between one or the other always go compound imo.
(edited 2 years ago)
Neither is necessarily better.

Barbell overhead almost certainly has more carryover to other lifts involving holding a barbell overhead, such as the olympic lifts, and also strongman events too such as the log. It might also be better for the traps, as you'll probably be using more weight (particularly if you are doing push press).

However, I am quite fond of dumbbell overhead pressing for a more specific shoulder exercise. I think they place a bit less stress on the low back, which can be useful if you are already doing lots of squats and deadlifts. And also, it's easier to press them straight up, as you don't have to worry about manoeuvring the bar around your head, and you're also less likely to utilise too much layback.

But you don't have to do only one; you can do both.
Original post by Khanthebrit
How does DB have more range of motion? I see more people pressing from their faces without any pause using DB. A proper overhead barbell press would start at the clavicles of the shoulder under the chin and pause between reps. Surely that has greater ROM?

Compound lifts are king and if it's a choice between one or the other always go compound imo.

Just because some people press from their faces doesn't mean that thats the standard. Dumbells start from a similar position but to the side and can go higher as the dumbells can get closer together at the top unlike a bar where your hands are stuck in 1 position.
Also technically both are compounds movements but I get what you are saying.
Advanced intermediate obviously slightly slower but still 12.5kg a year seems slow even compared to advanced lifters.

I wish that was true. Give it a few years and you'll realise just how flat that progression curve gets. Unless you are willing to get fat or get juicy, each 2.5 kg becomes a small victory.
Original post by Trilobite.
I wish that was true. Give it a few years and you'll realise just how flat that progression curve gets. Unless you are willing to get fat or get juicy, each 2.5 kg becomes a small victory.

yeah if you're benching 140kg+ maybe. Most people can easily reach that within 3 years with the right training. It flattens all right but I wouldn't say it's that stagnate for a male man training regularly, eating and doing everything right. At 140kg+ then maybe that's the case.

I don't know though, I'm at about 105kg x 5 and increasing it weekly still by 1kg, so 4kg a month. I agree though I am againing weight. a 105kg bench is 5kg over my bodyweight.
(edited 2 years ago)
yeah if you're benching 140kg+ maybe. Most people can easily reach that within 3 years with the right training. It flattens all right but I wouldn't say it's that stagnate for a male man training regularly, eating and doing everything right. At 140kg+ then maybe that's the case.

I don't know though, I'm at about 105kg x 5 and increasing it weekly still by 1kg, so 4kg a month. I agree though I am againing weight. a 105kg bench is 5kg over my bodyweight.

You're hitting the point where a lot of men run into the wall which is why you don't seen many men benching 140 kg outside of dedicated strength gyms.

Best of luck getting there if that is your intention, but do be prepared for 120 kg -140 kg to take far more effort than it has taken to get to where you are now.
DD only becuase barbell is so stiff
Original post by Agent456
I only do compound lifts only and I'm wondering Which would be better?

Both.

Quick Reply

Latest