The Student Room Group

IGCSE exam urgent mistake

Hey guys I forgot to pay for one of my IGCSE subjects, but I still did the exam. But I won't get my grade. So my only option is to retake it. But since I'm doing 4 AS subjects I think it's gonna affect their grades as my attention is gonna be divided more. I thought of a solution to get my grade but not do the exam again, to save time and not affect my other subjects. What if I tell my school that instead of doing the October/November exam they use my original exam and I'll pay for either the retake or the remark. Since it counts as both. It's a loophole if you think about it. What do you guys think?
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm really confused - how did the exam centre let you proceed with taking the exam (or at least the TAG) if you hadn't paid for it yet? If you're a private candidate, surely you would have been sent an invoice months in advance.
Reply 2
It was online I called the head teacher and asked for the link because I didnt get one
Reply 3
Original post by Zackkk1
It was online I called the head teacher and asked for the link because I didnt get one

I also saw the receipt recently and found that I hadn't paid. I only opened the receipt recently because I hadn't realized it was in my inbox because my inbox was full of emails, and I was too busy studying for the exams.
Reply 4
Original post by Zackkk1
What if I tell my school that instead of doing the October/November exam they use my original exam and I'll pay for either the retake or the remark. Since it counts as both. It's a loophole if you think about it. What do you guys think?

I cannot understand what you mean by this. You weren't entered for the Summer and it's too late to enter now. Hw can they 'use' your exam from one season in a later one?
Original post by Zackkk1

What head teacher?
I'm so confused.

If you are in a brick and mortar school, you don't pay for your exams yourself or book yourself into anything; it's all organised by the school.

If you are home educated, it doesn't matter if you are in an online school such as InterHigh, or if you are using tutors, or if you are self studying, the process for exams is exactly the same. You (well, your parents at least) are responsible for contacting an exam centre, booking your exams, and paying the invoice before you sit any exams. If your invoice is unpaid, you simply wouldn't be entered into the exam. There wouldn't be any need to contact a head teacher for an exam invoice, because you would have booked it yourself privately.

Can you explain further because I don't understand what's happened to you here.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Zackkk1
Hey guys I forgot to pay for one of my IGCSE subjects, but I still did the exam. But I won't get my grade. So my only option is to retake it. But since I'm doing 4 AS subjects I think it's gonna affect their grades as my attention is gonna be divided more. I thought of a solution to get my grade but not do the exam again, to save time and not affect my other subjects. What if I tell my school that instead of doing the October/November exam they use my original exam and I'll pay for either the retake or the remark. Since it counts as both. It's a loophole if you think about it. What do you guys think?

Hey!

Sorry to hear about this! I also did IGCSEs, and I know people who were in your exact predicament, in terms of having to rewrite an IGCSE during our AS year, so I can tell you that it is possible for you to rewrite without it affecting your other grades. IGCSEs are a lot easier than AS, and from what they always used to say, it will probably be like a refresher course, or a walk in the park, when it comes down to the rewrite. Just focus on retaining what you learn and study for AS, and keep doing past papers for your IG subject so that you can keep the information fresh in your mind whilst being prepared for the exam. I'm not sure about the whole loophole situation, I think the best thing is to go on the straight and narrow path of paying and retaking the exam next. Especially since, going forward if you're asked about your IGs (I have been for quite a few jobs and internships), you don't want to have a whole story about this wasn't paid at this time so my school took this result etc. It's just easier to say "here's what I got" and show them. Anyways, don't even worry, if you're doing 4 AS's you can totally do this! Hope that helps!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
Reply 7
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
What head teacher?
I'm so confused.

If you are in a brick and mortar school, you don't pay for your exams yourself or book yourself into anything; it's all organised by the school.

If you are home educated, it doesn't matter if you are in an online school such as InterHigh, or if you are using tutors, or if you are self studying, the process for exams is exactly the same. You (well, your parents at least) are responsible for contacting an exam centre, booking your exams, and paying the invoice before you sit any exams. If your invoice is unpaid, you simply wouldn't be entered into the exam. There wouldn't be any need to contact a head teacher for an exam invoice, because you would have booked it yourself privately.

Can you explain further because I don't understand what's happened to you here.

I see the confusion. I myself don't fully understand the process. The exams we did are called spring assessments. Once you do that, the school send the exams over to England to mark. The once the school gets our marks, our teachers then use it as evidence to further cause the grades that they will be giving us. It will count for as IGCSE's.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey!

Sorry to hear about this! I also did IGCSEs, and I know people who were in your exact predicament, in terms of having to rewrite an IGCSE during our AS year, so I can tell you that it is possible for you to rewrite without it affecting your other grades. IGCSEs are a lot easier than AS, and from what they always used to say, it will probably be like a refresher course, or a walk in the park, when it comes down to the rewrite. Just focus on retaining what you learn and study for AS, and keep doing past papers for your IG subject so that you can keep the information fresh in your mind whilst being prepared for the exam. I'm not sure about the whole loophole situation, I think the best thing is to go on the straight and narrow path of paying and retaking the exam next. Especially since, going forward if you're asked about your IGs (I have been for quite a few jobs and internships), you don't want to have a whole story about this wasn't paid at this time so my school took this result etc. It's just easier to say "here's what I got" and show them. Anyways, don't even worry, if you're doing 4 AS's you can totally do this! Hope that helps!

Can you explain this situation to me please, because you seem to know what the OP is talking about, whereas I'm quite lost.
Original post by Zackkk1
I see the confusion. I myself don't fully understand the process. The exams we did are called spring assessments. Once you do that, the school send the exams over to England to mark. The once the school gets our marks, our teachers then use it as evidence to further cause the grades that they will be giving us. It will count for as IGCSE's.

So you're at a brick and mortar school, and you've done IGCSEs but you have to pay for them yourself?
Original post by Zackkk1

It sounds as though these were a special arrangement because of Covid. As far as I am aware, future exams will be more like normal and you will have to sit the exams on a set day. There is no way they can use an internal exam you did months ago to provide your grade.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
So you're at a brick and mortar school, and you've done IGCSEs but you have to pay for them yourself?

Yes we have to pay for them and our school was online, so was our assessments
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Compost
It sounds as though these were a special arrangement because of Covid. As far as I ma aware, future exams will be more like normal and you will have to sit the exams on a set day. There is no way they can use an internal exam you did months ago to provide your grade.

I see, thank you
Can you explain this situation to me please, because you seem to know what the OP is talking about, whereas I'm quite lost.

Sure thing. So IGCSEs are normally paid for at the beginning of the school year (which is January in my country) and are included in the school fees so that it's easier. Clearly, @Zackkk1 's school has a different method for payment for the exam. Anyway, so normally you write mocks 3 months before the actual exams, and these are used as the basis for predicted grades and also to guide us and our teachers on how we can improve. Then there are the actual exams, in @Zackkk1 and I's case they were set in October/November. The next year its the same process but with AS, and we then have the option to pay for and sit any other exams, be it an IG resit or an extra IG subject some students may have independently picked up. Hope that helps!
Reply 14
Sure thing. So IGCSEs are normally paid for at the beginning of the school year (which is January in my country) and are included in the school fees so that it's easier. Clearly, @Zackkk1 's school has a different method for payment for the exam. Anyway, so normally you write mocks 3 months before the actual exams, and these are used as the basis for predicted grades and also to guide us and our teachers on how we can improve. Then there are the actual exams, in @Zackkk1 and I's case they were set in October/November. The next year its the same process but with AS, and we then have the option to pay for and sit any other exams, be it an IG resit or an extra IG subject some students may have independently picked up. Hope that helps!

Thank you for the explanation. But we already did the actual exams in May(spring assessments). The October/November exams are the next available time to do redo any IGCSE subjects

It's the payment part which is throwing me off, but thank you for the explanation.
Original post by Zackkk1
Yes we have to pay for them and our school was online, so was our assessments

I'm still finding this quite unusual, but no matter.

I don't think that your loophole is going to work, as others have already stated. I'm sorry.
Original post by Zackkk1
Thank you for the explanation. But we already did the actual exams in May(spring assessments). The October/November exams are the next available time to do redo any IGCSE subjects

Hi, I know, I was explaining to @PinkMobilePhone who was asking for clarification. Sorry for any mix up! Anyways, good luck with everything.
Original post by Zackkk1

Hi, I know, I was explaining to @PinkMobilePhone who was asking for clarification. Sorry for any mix up! Anyways, good luck with everything.

It's the payment part which is throwing me off, but thank you for the explanation.

No worries!

GCSEs are paid for at UK state schools, but often students pay for their own at UK private schools and schools in other countries :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest