The Student Room Group

Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Rowing and Canoeing

Attachment not found

Welcome to the Tokyo Olympics 2020! :biggrin:

~This thread is all about Rowing and Canoeing~

Rowing was scheduled to be included in the first (1896) modern summer Olympic games, but got cancelled due to bad weather! It has been ever-present since 1900, however. For 2020, the rowing programme features a total of fourteen events, seven each for both men and women in identical boat classes.

Canoeing is a relative newcomer, making its debut as an official Olympic sport in 1936. Canoeing will be contested in two main disciplines: slalom, which consists of four medal events, and sprint, which consists of twelve medal events.

The schedule for rowing can be found here.

The schedule for canoe slalom can be found here.

The schedule for canoe spring can be found here.

Use this thread to make your predictions about these sports, and discuss the events as they happen. :smile:
Helen Glover has made it through the first round, good to see.
Tragedy for Kimberley Woods in the canoe slalom. :frown:
Horrible to watch, an early mistake cost her her composure and it didn't go well.

Spain leading at the moment but 5 more athletes to come.
I have to say I am fascinated by this canoe slalom. Currently on the red button.

Spain still leading, New Zealand favourite currently in 4th with the. Italian paddler moving up into second
Meanwhile the Rowing seems to be on pause due to winds at the moment.
Ricarda Funk now in Gold Medal position!
And is currently winning my personal award for best athlete name.

Now for the athlete from Slovakia
Funk takes it!

Fox of Australia coming into Bronze
A German canoeist won the first gold for the German participants, yeah that is nice! :king1:

Original post by 04MR17
Tragedy for Kimberley Woods in the canoe slalom. :frown:
Horrible to watch, an early mistake cost her her composure and it didn't go well.

(...)

That is olympics: a little mistake and everything is over.
Original post by Kallisto
A German canoeist won the first gold for the German participants, yeah that is nice! :king1:

That is olympics: a little mistake and everything is over.

And (I believe) the first German medal in canoeing since 1992? :curious:
A big well done to Ricarda Funk -
Original post by 04MR17
And (I believe) the first German medal in canoeing since 1992? :curious:
A big well done to Ricarda Funk -

In terms of the slalom you might be right, but I am don't know the winners in that detail. All the more, as canoeing is a sport I see ocassionally, always when it is the time of olympics.
Love watching the canoeing once again. There's a British man qualified today for the semi finals.
Gold for Ireland - their first in Tokyo and their first EVER gold in rowing.
GB currently 10th in the Rowing medal table with 1 silver.

So many 4th places in finals, commiserations to Helen Glover and Polly Swann in particular. Polly Swann is a doctor up in Scotland and will be back to work by next week!
In the slalom GB win a silver in the women's C1 :king2:

The first time this event has ran in the Olympics.

Gold goes to Jess Fox of Australia who's already picked up a bronze in the K1 earlier this week. :king1:
Silver for German men's ttwo-part canoe! :king2: great finish, very close to the winner Australia. Well done, guys!
Gold for the German four-part Kajak! :king1: fun fact: Ronald Rauhe who won his fourth medal at the Olympics (twice gold, twice bronze, once silver) is confirmed to carry the German flag through the stadium.

Quick Reply

Latest