The Student Room Group

Clearing/Adjustment

Hi all, I have a question about the clearing process. I was considering applying to a uni I'd prefer that is open for clearing with my course, despite me having a few offers. From my understanding, you must reject any offers to be eligible for the clearing process.
If I reject a university that I received an offer from to apply to another but am rejected from them, can I change my decision and accept the original offer? Or is that university no longer an option?
Thanks
Original post by pixelated19
Hi all, I have a question about the clearing process. I was considering applying to a uni I'd prefer that is open for clearing with my course, despite me having a few offers. From my understanding, you must reject any offers to be eligible for the clearing process.
If I reject a university that I received an offer from to apply to another but am rejected from them, can I change my decision and accept the original offer? Or is that university no longer an option?
Thanks

If you submitted your application more than 14 days ago you cannot swap a choice.

The next question is whether you currently have your results. If so, you can proceed to decline your place at your firm choice, and enter Clearing.

Once you have declined your place and entered Clearing, you will hold no offers. There will be no way to get your original offer back unless that university is in Clearing and chooses to accept you again, which is absolutely not something you should rely upon.

The best course of action in this case is to speak to the new (potential) university and see if they would provisionally be willing to accept you. Explain your situation - that you are holding a place but would rather study at their university.

If you have not received your results yet, you will need to wait until you have them to apply to the new university through Clearing.
Original post by Charlotte's Web
If you submitted your application more than 14 days ago you cannot swap a choice.

The next question is whether you currently have your results. If so, you can proceed to decline your place at your firm choice, and enter Clearing.

Once you have declined your place and entered Clearing, you will hold no offers. There will be no way to get your original offer back unless that university is in Clearing and chooses to accept you again, which is absolutely not something you should rely upon.

The best course of action in this case is to speak to the new (potential) university and see if they would provisionally be willing to accept you. Explain your situation - that you are holding a place but would rather study at their university.

If you have not received your results yet, you will need to wait until you have them to apply to the new university through Clearing.

Thanks for the response. I haven't received my results so will have to wait 2 weeks but I have signed up to register my interest. When speaking to the university through clearing to explain my situation will I have to already reject my offers or can I speak to the university while still holding offers to help me make a decision?
Thanks for the response. I haven't received my results so will have to wait 2 weeks but I have signed up to register my interest. When speaking to the university through clearing to explain my situation will I have to already reject my offers or can I speak to the university while still holding offers to help me make a decision?

It depends on the university and person you speak to. Some will be willing to speak to you without a Clearing number, but strictly speaking they are not supposed to. It would be sensible to at least attempt, though. You do need to weigh up the risk if you are not accepted - would you be happy to reapply somewhere else if you couldn't get that place etc.
Original post by Charlotte's Web
It depends on the university and person you speak to. Some will be willing to speak to you without a Clearing number, but strictly speaking they are not supposed to. It would be sensible to at least attempt, though. You do need to weigh up the risk if you are not accepted - would you be happy to reapply somewhere else if you couldn't get that place etc.

There is another university I was rejected from that I would definitely prefer over my firm so that leaves me with two clearing options. I think if I attempt both I'd be happy to take the risk. Thanks for all your help!

No, you don’t have to reject your offers to talk to unis whom you wish to apply through clearing. It’s basically you speak to them and enquiring. You have to reject your offers on UCAS when you wish to add a clearing choice. right now you’ll just be talking to the unis
Original post by zz2002
No, you don’t have to reject your offers to talk to unis whom you wish to apply through clearing. It’s basically you speak to them and enquiring. You have to reject your offers on UCAS when you wish to add a clearing choice. right now you’ll just be talking to the unis

Universities are not allowed to “poach” applicants who are placed at another university. If you’re placed elsewhere then a university cannot view your ucas application to verify your results.

Most universities will not consider an applicant if they aren’t in clearing. The first question a university will ask is “what’s your clearing number”.
Original post by zz2002

Should I be enquiring prior to results day then? And on results day I make the official clearing call?
Should I be enquiring prior to results day then? And on results day I make the official clearing call?

If they have a “register yourself for clearing updates” option then you can do that now.

You’re wasting everyone’s time by calling about clearing before you have your results and before you are in clearing
Original post by PQ
Universities are not allowed to “poach” applicants who are placed at another university. If you’re placed elsewhere then a university cannot view your ucas application to verify your results.

Most universities will not consider an applicant if they aren’t in clearing. The first question a university will ask is “what’s your clearing number”.

Ahh right, I didn’t know that lol. Thank you :smile: I thought they could enquire before taking the step to go through clearing
Original post by zz2002
Ahh right, I didn’t know that lol. Thank you :smile: I thought they could enquire before taking the step to go through clearing

A small number of universities will but they are in the minority and it’s impossible to know before ringing so it risks wasting a lot of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending