The Student Room Group

Medicine with a foundation year

Just found out about this, I checked the websites and I meet the requirement which make me eligible, so do I apply to ucas with ‘medicine with a gateway year.’ Can anyone clarify how this works please and whether people actually get accepted for this
Thanks
"Medicine with foundation year" courses are usually restricted to those who meet specific widening participation/contextual flag criteria. If you meet those as well as the grade requirements then yes, it's a possibility.

"Medicine with a gateway year" courses are usually are for those who have strong A-level grades but didn't take the requisite science subject(s).
Original post by artful_lounger
"Medicine with foundation year" courses are usually restricted to those who meet specific widening participation/contextual flag criteria. If you meet those as well as the grade requirements then yes, it's a possibility.

"Medicine with a gateway year" courses are usually are for those who have strong A-level grades but didn't take the requisite science subject(s).

Oh i thought they were the same thing

So is it worth me doing bio and chem not just bio, so I can apply to more unis that have lower offers for let’s say contextual
Original post by Ghostface6001
Oh i thought they were the same thing

Although similar in the respect they have a preliminary year 0, they are designed for very different applicants.

Original post by Ghostface6001
So is it worth me doing bio and chem not just bio, so I can apply to more unis that have lower offers for let’s say contextual

Do you meet the widening participation criteria for the medicine with foundation year courses? They publish these on the admissions pages for those courses to make it quite clear who does or doesn't qualify for it. You should be clear on whether you meet the criteria or not before making any long term plans.

That said, if you are still choosing your A-levels you are best off taking bio and chem to give yourself the widest range of possible options for medical schools you could apply to. I would suggest looking at this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 for more info on entry criteria for medical schools.
(edited 2 years ago)
although similar in the respect they have a preliminary year 0, they are deixnged for very different applicants.

Do you meet the widening participation criteria for the medicine with foundation year courses? They publish these on the admissions pages for those courses to make it quite clear who does or doesn't qualify for it. You should be clear on whether you meet the criteria or not before making any long term plans.

That said, if you are still choosing your a-levels you are best off taking bio and chem to give yourself the widest range of possible options for medical schools you could apply to. I would suggest looking at this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 for more info on entry criteria for medical schools.

appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending