The Student Room Group

Doing a Biochemistry degree

I'm going into year 13 in September and up until now, I have been looking at doing biology at university. However, I have since realised that I would much prefer biochemistry, and am wondering if it is too late to change my mind? (I mean I know they're not extremely different but at my school especially they do put pressure on you to decide fairly quickly). I also want to know if anyone who has done/is doing biochemistry or knows anything about it would be able to give their opinion on whether it is a good degree to do. Thanks in advance!
No it's not, UCAS deadline is far away usually in January. As long as you're doing the correct subjects it's no where near too late (unless you start thinking of med/dentistry which the deadline is in October)
Your school is very irresponsible for that, of course it's not good to be indecisive but at the same time they shouldn't pressure you to this point where you're thinking it's too late when it's barely started. I hope other people aren't silenced into one initial decision
Reply 2
Original post by Satori Tendō
No it's not, UCAS deadline is far away usually in January. As long as you're doing the correct subjects it's no where near too late (unless you start thinking of med/dentistry which the deadline is in October)
Your school is very irresponsible for that, of course it's not good to be indecisive but at the same time they shouldn't pressure you to this point where you're thinking it's too late when it's barely started. I hope other people aren't silenced into one initial decision

Thanks for the reply! I think the reason that we are encouraged to decide fairly soon is because so many people are applying to oxbridge/medicine so they make everyone start early - its still annoying tho
Original post by sunny225
I'm going into year 13 in September and up until now, I have been looking at doing biology at university. However, I have since realised that I would much prefer biochemistry, and am wondering if it is too late to change my mind? (I mean I know they're not extremely different but at my school especially they do put pressure on you to decide fairly quickly). I also want to know if anyone who has done/is doing biochemistry or knows anything about it would be able to give their opinion on whether it is a good degree to do. Thanks in advance!

Never too late! I applied this year for a different degree and then switched my course to biochemistry a few months after. Please also don’t let your school put pressure on you to apply fast as the deadline is in January for a reason and you will have plenty of time to think about which course you want to apply. That’s one thing I wish I had realised.
Why would it be too late? You've not yet applied, so provided you are taking the appropriate subjects there isn't any reason to suppose you couldn't apply successfully to a different course than you originally planned.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending