The Student Room Group

Uni options (foundation year)

Hi,

I am looking at going into a career in investment management/ banking or risk and thus are looking to study a finance based course at uni.

My predicted grades are ABC, and I am looking at doing finance at somewhere such as Lancaster university.

Another option I have is to do a foundation year in finance at City, university of London (cass business school) and then do their undergrad degree in international banking and finance or investment and financial risk management.

In this case for my desired career City is a much better uni and does the exact course I would like to do however requires AAA, so with ABC predicteds I would not get in.

Please could I ask which is the better option, and wether employers look down upon foundation years?

Thank you.
Original post by anonymous_new
Hi,

I am looking at going into a career in investment management/ banking or risk and thus are looking to study a finance based course at uni.

My predicted grades are ABC, and I am looking at doing finance at somewhere such as Lancaster university.

Another option I have is to do a foundation year in finance at City, university of London (cass business school) and then do their undergrad degree in international banking and finance or investment and financial risk management.

In this case for my desired career City is a much better uni and does the exact course I would like to do however requires AAA, so with ABC predicteds I would not get in.

Please could I ask which is the better option, and wether employers look down upon foundation years?

Thank you.

Employers (in general) will not look down on foundation years BUT some grad schemes may not be open to you with ABC A-levels, even if you did a foundation year.

You need to check whether passing the foundation year would give you an automatic place on the course you want- it wouldn't be great to commit to a foundation year and then still not be able to do the undergraduate course you want.

It also uses up a year of student finance.

Foundation years can be a good thing, so it's definitely worth looking into. However, honestly, I'd focus on getting the best A-levels you can, and maybe applying to City post-results instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending