The Student Room Group

Law

I’m currently studying criminology and I start my second year in September but I want to become a lawyer. Is this still possible and how?
It’s definitely possible as many non law students become lawyers. It’s all changing now but up until now you’d do a 1 year gdl course (the stuff that you’d do in a law degree) then an lpc (how to be a solicitor)
Now it’s sqe and all a bit up in the air.
Will I have to pay for the course? If so is there any chance I could get a scholarship?
Original post by sapphirenottz
I’m currently studying criminology and I start my second year in September but I want to become a lawyer. Is this still possible and how?

You could do a postgraduate law conversion course like this one at BPP to help you prepare for the SQE exams

https://www.bpp.com/courses/law/postgraduate/pgdl-law-conversion-course
Reply 4
As someone who studied law with criminology at undergrad, it is certainly possible to become a lawyer in the future, and indeed I thought that criminology was very useful as a backdrop to some of the things that I learned in law.

As you've not even started your second year, your focus right now should be on getting the best grades possible in your criminology modules. You want to give yourself a good platform for the future, whether that be a legal career or otherwise. It would also be useful to do a bit of work experience in a law firm to get a taster for the legal world. Your focus should then become on whether you want to commit to pursuing law and doing the GDL, or doing a preparation course for the SQE. Once you've done your research and are convinced that law is right for you, go for it! Many law firms recruit individuals who did not do law as their first degree and this certainly is not a barrier to enter the profession.
I thank you for all the comments they have really helped me! I appreciate it so much
Original post by harrysbar
You could do a postgraduate law conversion course like this one at BPP to help you prepare for the SQE exams

https://www.bpp.com/courses/law/postgraduate/pgdl-law-conversion-course

Will I pay for these and how much?
Will I pay for these and how much?

Yes they charge for the course (though you may be eligible for a loan) - it will be about 10k but you would need to contact them for details
Original post by harrysbar
Yes they charge for the course (though you may be eligible for a loan) - it will be about 10k but you would need to contact them for details

How much is the SQE alone?
How much is the SQE alone?

No idea 🤷🏼*♀️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending