The Student Room Group

Dealing with needy people

How to deal with people who constantly message about stuff on tjr sources
People will randomly message me , no hi or anyjting and just message me.
We are not friends at all and have never spoken in break out room.
They also message me at like 11 at night

How can I get round this
I don't mind helping people but all of the stuff they could just google
Original post by Anonymous
How to deal with people who constantly message about stuff on tjr sources
People will randomly message me , no hi or anyjting and just message me.
We are not friends at all and have never spoken in break out room.
They also message me at like 11 at night

How can I get round this
I don't mind helping people but all of the stuff they could just google

If you don't know them or are friends, then you should probably just ignore them or block them? If they message you at night, you should turn your notifications off. Just because someone messages you or asks for help which they could figure out themselves, you're not obligated to reply.
Reply 2
TThanks, I guess it is perfectly fine to not offer help if you are not friends with the person
I feel bad though not helping people but then again it is not really a duty
TThanks, I guess it is perfectly fine to not offer help if you are not friends with the person
I feel bad though not helping people but then again it is not really a duty

some people see that and just use people
Reply 4
Why do you mean
Why do you mean

some people just take advantage of kindness
Original post by mspaghetti

Totally, i had this problem at uni and was too much of a doormat. People always asked me for help and i was bad at making friends so just said sure to be likeable. It ended with someone basically stealing my project idea, not returning things they borrowed and just copying from my essay. I have learned...

1- it's kind of a compliment that people think you're reliable/knowledgable
2- you don't have to help them, just turn notifications off then when you bump into them in person just say oh sorry i fell asleep early or whatever
3- better yet pretend you just don't know a few times and they'll stop looking at you as the person who knows
Reply 7
Original post by mspaghetti

Thanks for explaining that.
Reply 8
Totally, i had this problem at uni and was too much of a doormat. People always asked me for help and i was bad at making friends so just said sure to be likeable. It ended with someone basically stealing my project idea, not returning things they borrowed and just copying from my essay. I have learned...

1- it's kind of a compliment that people think you're reliable/knowledgable
2- you don't have to help them, just turn notifications off then when you bump into them in person just say oh sorry i fell asleep early or whatever
3- better yet pretend you just don't know a few times and they'll stop looking at you as the person who knows

Do you know that is a good idea
I like to be knowledgeable and it's great but not when people have been sent this info.
Thanks for suggestions.
What uni are you at/went to and jlhow to start meeting friends?

Quick Reply

Latest