The Student Room Group

Is driving instructor a proper job?

My brother and mum were saying its not because I said I might be one and they were making fun of me for it. My brother said all you do is sit around on your arse watching people drive all day, my mum agreed saying its not a proper job and she doesn't want me to do a job like that. I just felt a bit embarrassed because I was thinking of being one for a bit of time now but my mum and brother they aren't stopping me but I think if I did become one then they'd be disappointed in me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
My brother and mum were saying its not because I said I might be one and they were making fun of me for it. My brother said all you do is sit around on your arse watching people drive all day, my mum agreed saying its not a proper job and she doesn't want me to do a job like that. I just felt a bit embarrassed because I was thinking of being one for a bit of time now but my mum and brother they aren't stopping me but I think if I did become one then they'd be disappointed in me.

They're being really insensitive in my opinion. What do office workers do aside from 'sit around on [their] arse'? It's a really valuable profession and one you could make a real personal impact in many people's lives in. I think they'd learn to be less judgemental if you actually did go into the profession.

being a driving instructor is effort. and they don’t just sit and watch people drive all day. they teach driving so that people can become good & safe drivers. if it wasn’t for them how else would we learn to drive?

i think it’s an amazing job and if that’s what you’re interested in it then go for it :smile:

Well, the definition of a job is 'a paid position of regular employment' so yes being a driving instructor is a proper job.

Also, being a driving instructor does not mean that you just 'sit on your arse' all day. As a driving instructor you are expected to teach students about traffic rules, look out for emergency situations, teach about general safety etc.

Do what you want to do OP. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ashtolga23
They're being really insensitive in my opinion. What do office workers do aside from 'sit around on [their] arse'? It's a really valuable profession and one you could make a real personal impact in many people's lives in. I think they'd learn to be less judgemental if you actually did go into the profession.

They'd probably call them lazy as well unless it's an academic, my mum thinks car salesman isn't a proper job either and she doesn't want me doing manual labour jobs as well like builder or a car mechanic because she says they aren't academic and for people who aren't intelligent
Reply 5
Original post by 5hyl33n
Well, the definition of a job is 'a paid position of regular employment' so yes being a driving instructor is a proper job.

Also, being a driving instructor does not mean that you just 'sit on your arse' all day. As a driving instructor you are expected to teach students about traffic rules, look out for emergency situations, teach about general safety etc.

Do what you want to do OP. :smile:

I just don’t want my family to be against me
I just don’t want my family to be against me

I think you should go for it. Once your mum and brother see that you are enjoying your job, they will hopefully be much more supportive.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by 5hyl33n
I think you should go for it. Once your mum and brother see that you are enjoying your job, they will hopefully be much more supportive.

Good luck. :smile:

I'm not sure they will, my brother went university and my sister will be going as well and I'm the only one who isn't going
Would you rather do what you want and be happy or make them happy and not do what you want?

It's YOUR life. I understand family can be difficult but sometimes you just have to do what's right for you even if they are against it.

Hopefully they'll come around, but even if they don't it's not the end of the world.
Reply 9
Original post by sunshine774
Would you rather do what you want and be happy or make them happy and not do what you want?

It's YOUR life. I understand family can be difficult but sometimes you just have to do what's right for you even if they are against it.

Hopefully they'll come around, but even if they don't it's not the end of the world.

I'd rather have both. I just worried my family will be against me
I'd rather have both. I just worried my family will be against me

And my point was sometimes you can't choose- because you can't make other people change.

Be brave and do what's best for you.

Don't do something you don't want just to please them, you won't be happy.
Because my brother goes university (currently home for summer)
My sister is going university when she's older
My cousin goes uni (mum's younger brothers 2 daughters)
My other cousins went university (mum's other brothers daughters and son)

Then I'm not going university and want to be an instructor so I think that's why my mum is upset
I'm not sure they will, my brother went university and my sister will be going as well and I'm the only one who isn't going

You will never know what your mum and brother really think until you try.

University is not for everyone.

What is your plan, if you do not mind me asking?
Original post by sunshine774
And my point was sometimes you can't choose- because you can't make other people change.

Be brave and do what's best for you.

Don't do something you don't want just to please them, you won't be happy.

OK thanks
Original post by 5hyl33n
You will never know what your mum and brother really think until you try.

University is not for everyone.

What is your plan, if you do not mind me asking?

I'm not sure now, I was going to maybe look at finding training to be an instructor when I'm older
Reply 15

Driving instructors literally prevent thousands of crashes from happening each day with their quick thinking and speedy reaction time
Original post by A_J_B
Driving instructors literally prevent thousands of crashes from happening each day with their quick thinking and speedy reaction time

I know
I'm not sure now, I was going to maybe look at finding training to be an instructor when I'm older

That's excellent. A lot of user's above have given you excellent advice. The final decision is up to you now. Good luck.
Original post by 5hyl33n
That's excellent. A lot of user's above have given you excellent advice. The final decision is up to you now. Good luck.

Cheers
They'd probably call them lazy as well unless it's an academic, my mum thinks car salesman isn't a proper job either and she doesn't want me doing manual labour jobs as well like builder or a car mechanic because she says they aren't academic and for people who aren't intelligent

She just sounds really judgemental. She'll have to get used to it at some point because it's your life and you have to live for you. She's not the one having to do that job every day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending