The Student Room Group

Medicine- how often do unis change their alevel requirements

As in the alevel choices? Because if I only do bio n psych and they change their requirements to chem and psych (for example) then I’m screwed, so does anyone know if unis really change their alevel choice requirements
Reply 1
I believe it is not that very often. Have a look at the thread below to see what subjects you require for what unis:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422
I haven't heard of a uni seriously changing their requirements in the past few years. But it can happen, such as Plymouth going up to A*AA in selection this year as they had no other way to choose applicants.
Ultimately it doesn't matter if unis do it once every 10, 000 years if it happens to be the year you apply - just keep an eye on websites and try to take a subject combo that keeps as many options open as possible (ideally, take Chem if you can)
Original post by SyedN
I believe it is not that very often. Have a look at the thread below to see what subjects you require for what unis:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

Yh I’ve seen that 8 require bio or chem along side a science and psych
Original post by becausethenight
I haven't heard of a uni seriously changing their requirements in the past few years. But it can happen, such as Plymouth going up to A*AA in selection this year as they had no other way to choose applicants.
Ultimately it doesn't matter if unis do it once every 10, 000 years if it happens to be the year you apply - just keep an eye on websites and try to take a subject combo that keeps as many options open as possible (ideally, take Chem if you can)

Chems ok, as in it is interesting abit, I’m fairly good at it, so it is possible to do it but it’s not rlly my favourite subject, do you recommend I still take it
Reply 5
Original post by Ghostface6001
Yh I’ve seen that 8 require bio or chem along side a science and psych

You should really consider doing chem as well as it will open up a lot more options, as @becausethenight mentioned above!
Original post by SyedN
You should really consider doing chem as well as it will open up a lot more options, as @becausethenight mentioned above!

Chems ok, as in it is interesting abit, I’m fairly good at it, so it is possible to do it but it’s not rlly my favourite subject, do you recommend I still take It
Reply 7
Chems ok, as in it is interesting abit, I’m fairly good at it, so it is possible to do it but it’s not rlly my favourite subject, do you recommend I still take It

If you believe you can get an A or an A* then 100% yes as it opens up a lot more options as to where you can apply. If not then you should stick to Bio, Psyh and a third A Level you believe you can get an A in because even without Chem if you get AAA you have a much better chance of getting into Medicine than if you had AAB with Chem.
Original post by SyedN
If you believe you can get an A or an A* then 100% yes as it opens up a lot more options as to where you can apply. If not then you should stick to Bio, Psyh and a third A Level you believe you can get an A in because even without Chem if you get AAA you have a much better chance of getting into Medicine than if you had AAB with Chem.

What if I got an contextual offer, that would mean a B in chem is ok right
Reply 9

It would depend, you would need to ask the university directly before you apply and see what they say.

I don't know about medicine, but in general, if a course asks for a specific grade in a certain subject (not just [whatever grades] including [whatever subject(s)], but [whatever grades] including [whatever grade] in [specific subject]), they often won't change that for a contextual offer. You will still need to get the grade in that subject, but might lower the grade you need to get in your other subject(s). You really should check the websites for different unis though to check.
(edited 2 years ago)

What @SyedN said. That's basically how I felt about Chem, got my A*, all good. It's a means to an end, frankly - you will need to do at least 2 science subjects realistically unless you really limit your options so may as well do Chem.

The only reason I'd not reccomend it is if you know you cannot get the required grade.

Original post by heccyeah
I don't know about medicine, but in general, if a course asks for a specific grade in a certain subject, they often won't change that for a contextual offer. You will still need to get the grade in that subject, but might lower the grade you need to get in your other subject(s). You really should check the websites for different unis though to check.

This is actually fairly common as some courses make ABB or BBB offers for medicine :smile:
Original post by becausethenight
What @SyedN said. That's basically how I felt about Chem, got my A*, all good. It's a means to an end, frankly - you will need to do at least 2 science subjects realistically unless you really limit your options so may as well do Chem.

The only reason I'd not reccomend it is if you know you cannot get the required grade.

This is actually fairly common as some courses make ABB or BBB offers for medicine :smile:

Yess I know that’s what I was saying, I checked some unis and I meet the criteria so if I was to do chemistry I would need a B which I guess is easier then an A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending