The Student Room Group

Is it hard to get a job in the pharmaceutical industry after graduation?

Hi, I'm about to start yr13 and thinking of applying to pharmacy course. I've been wanting to pursue my career as a researcher but haven't seen anyone talking about it/working in that field. I saw the post saying 65% of graduates work in retail pharmacy, but where would the rest of 35% go? I also wonder why the majority of them choose to work in retail pharmacy. Is it really hard to get a job in a pharmaceutical company and work in the R&D department? Or is there another reason?
Original post by Dubin
Hi, I'm about to start yr13 and thinking of applying to pharmacy course. I've been wanting to pursue my career as a researcher but haven't seen anyone talking about it/working in that field. I saw the post saying 65% of graduates work in retail pharmacy, but where would the rest of 35% go? I also wonder why the majority of them choose to work in retail pharmacy. Is it really hard to get a job in a pharmaceutical company and work in the R&D department? Or is there another reason?

You don't hear much about industry pharmacists because the vast majority end up in hospital or community. I think the going figure is that less 5% of pharmacists end up in industry. To be quite frank I can't really tell you what an industry pharmacist does because the contact between them and other pharmacists is so infrequent. There's some YouTube videos out there if you search up 'UK industry pharmacist' that give their perspective.
Reply 2
It's probably more like 1%
You may be better off doing a pharmacology degree, then a PhD. Look at pharmaceutical companies websites for what graduates they want. Very often pharmacy is not listed.
If you want to do research I would have thought a basic science degree, then a PhD would be the way forward.

Be very careful, because universities always push industry, but ask them for actual figures and they go very, very quiet.
The reason why most pharmacists end up in retail is because that’s where the money is. Industry, hospital, and to a lesser extent, GP pharmacists are traditionally low paid as they have a strict salary regime which they cannot exceed.

In retail, the world is your oyster.
It is the case that obtaining a pre registration position with the pharmaceutical industry or later employment as a pharmacy graduate is very rare. This fact may well contradict what the universities are erroneously telling students. I have heard the figure of 1% employment mentioned but can’t confirm the accuracy. Sounds about right though.

I am not sure why this is so. Perhaps the skill sets required by the pharmaceutical industry (counter intuitively) are not met by the pharmacy degree. It has always been the case. Only one student from my cohort entered industry as a pre reg and that was largely due to family connections if I remember correctly.

Two pharmacists I did know who were recruited by industry were as a result of additional legal qualifications they obtained. Both are working on regulatory and licensing matters and draw little from their pharmacy training.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Sarah H.
It is the case that obtaining a pre registration position with the pharmaceutical industry or later employment as a pharmacy graduate is very rare. This fact may well contradict what the universities are erroneously telling students. I have heard the figure of 1% employment mentioned but can’t confirm the accuracy. Sounds about right though.

I am not sure why this is so. Perhaps the skill sets required by the pharmaceutical industry (counter intuitively) are not met by the pharmacy degree. It has always been the case. Only one student from my cohort entered industry as a pre reg and that was largely due to family connections if I remember correctly.

Two pharmacists I did know who were recruited by industry were as a result of additional legal qualifications they obtained. Both are working on regulatory and licensing matters and draw little from their pharmacy training.

No on in my year went into industry. Early 90s. 70% community 30% hospital
Reply 6
Original post by 0895
It's probably more like 1%
You may be better off doing a pharmacology degree, then a PhD. Look at pharmaceutical companies websites for what graduates they want. Very often pharmacy is not listed.
If you want to do research I would have thought a basic science degree, then a PhD would be the way forward.

Be very careful, because universities always push industry, but ask them for actual figures and they go very, very quiet.

The reason why I chose pharmacy over pharmacology was from what I heard, pharmacy graduates receive a license sort of thing like doctors(is it true tho?) If I still want to pursue my career in the industry which major would be the best?-pharmacology, biochemistry or other bio-related majors?
Original post by Dubin
The reason why I chose pharmacy over pharmacology was from what I heard, pharmacy graduates receive a license sort of thing like doctors(is it true tho?) If I still want to pursue my career in the industry which major would be the best?-pharmacology, biochemistry or other bio-related majors?

look on some Big Pharma websites at their careers section, see what graduates they say they employ.
Pharmacology or biochem then a PhD may be a better route than pharmacy if you only want to work in the Pharma industry.
Have you looked into Chemical Engineering? or any biotech courses?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending