The Student Room Group

wrong student loan

please help, my sister is applying for uni and just got her maintenance loan through for uni and it’s the minimum amount. it’s £6000 and the calculators told us it should be £10000+, due to my total household income being £35000. has this happened to anyone else? how do we fix it? please help, we’re in bits
I swear the minimum amount is £3000
Reply 2
Original post by gemz2v
please help, my sister is applying for uni and just got her maintenance loan through for uni and it’s the minimum amount. it’s £6000 and the calculators told us it should be £10000+, due to my total household income being £35000. has this happened to anyone else? how do we fix it? please help, we’re in bits

I'd recommend contacting the maintenance loaning body, and informing them of your issue. They'll either give you a perfectly legal, solid reason as to why she can't have a higher maintenance loan, or will pay her the full amount. It could've just been a glitch in their system.
Reply 3
Original post by princesscharli3
I swear the minimum amount is £3000

not for london
From reading stuff on here the notifications seem to come in 2 parts - you get an acceptance for the minimum as everyone (who qualifies for a loan at all) gets that and then you get a second notification once they have assessed the income details supplied. They really out to sort out the wording to make it clear as this question comes up all the time
Reply 5
Original post by nnth
I'd recommend contacting the maintenance loaning body, and informing them of your issue. They'll either give you a perfectly legal, solid reason as to why she can't have a higher maintenance loan, or will pay her the full amount. It could've just been a glitch in their system.

we’re trying theyre just not helping, there is no reason. she’s in bits, she won’t be able to go if she doesn’t get a higher loan.
Reply 6
Original post by ReadingMum
From reading stuff on here the notifications seem to come in 2 parts - you get an acceptance for the minimum as everyone (who qualifies for a loan at all) gets that and then you get a second notification once they have assessed the income details supplied. They really out to sort out the wording to make it clear as this question comes up all the time

are you sure? my loan didn’t come through like that, they put it all in one letter. but thankyou.
Reply 7
Original post by gemz2v
we’re trying theyre just not helping, there is no reason. she’s in bits, she won’t be able to go if she doesn’t get a higher loan.

Wdym they're not helping? Are they not responding to your emails of confusion? Have you tried ringing them?
Reply 9
Original post by nnth
Wdym they're not helping? Are they not responding to your emails of confusion? Have you tried ringing them?

she’s on the phone to them currently, and they just keep putting her on hold and transferring her to a new person and nobody’s told her anything yet. it’s been an hour.
Original post by gemz2v
are you sure? my loan didn’t come through like that, they put it all in one letter. but thankyou.

It is relatively common - it's much quicker for them to approve the basic loan than to do the income assessment, so they approve the first bit when they can while still working on the additional bit. If your family have provided all the details correctly and your sister has definitely just been awarded the minimum then it seems likely they're still assessing the income.
Reply 11
Original post by Interea
It is relatively common - it's much quicker for them to approve the basic loan than to do the income assessment, so they approve the first bit when they can while still working on the additional bit. If your family have provided all the details correctly and your sister has definitely just been awarded the minimum then it seems likely they're still assessing the income.

okay hopefully that’s the case, they haven’t confirmed that on the phone yet though. i just don’t understand why they’re still assessing with only 6 weeks left. thankyou though
Original post by Interea

The irony behind this is that just approving the first bit is actually slowing them down. If they approved it all together, then it would mean fewer calls and queries they have to deal withabout this, meaning more time to process more applications all at once.
Original post by NovaeSci
The irony behind this is that just approving the first bit is actually slowing them down. If they approved it all together, then it would mean fewer calls and queries they have to deal withabout this, meaning more time to process more applications all at once.

Definitely, even just making it clear on the "loan approved" page whether or not they've considered the income information yet would save a lot of stress and time on both sides
Reply 14
Original post by Interea
Definitely, even just making it clear on the "loan approved" page whether or not they've considered the income information yet would save a lot of stress and time on both sides

it really would, she’s beside herself and we’re all worried out of our minds. still yet to confirm on the phone that this is the case.
Original post by gemz2v
it really would, she’s beside herself and we’re all worried out of our minds. still yet to confirm on the phone that this is the case.

Student finance stress is never fun :frown: At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter what's happened so far, if you meet the eligibility criteria for the higher loan and have sufficient evidence to prove it then they'd struggle to argue otherwise. It may just be a waiting game to see if the larger amount gets cleared in the next few weeks.

If you can't get a clear answer on the phone, it'd be worth getting your sister to message them on Facebook or Twitter. They usually reply within a day or so there, and can access her account with her permission there to see what's going on. It feels less urgent than contacting them on the phone, but it's still usually quite quick and gives you a written record of what has been said (always good to have a record rather than just vague memories of what's been said in phone calls!).
Reply 16
Original post by Interea
Student finance stress is never fun :frown: At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter what's happened so far, if you meet the eligibility criteria for the higher loan and have sufficient evidence to prove it then they'd struggle to argue otherwise. It may just be a waiting game to see if the larger amount gets cleared in the next few weeks.

If you can't get a clear answer on the phone, it'd be worth getting your sister to message them on Facebook or Twitter. They usually reply within a day or so there, and can access her account with her permission there to see what's going on. It feels less urgent than contacting them on the phone, but it's still usually quite quick and gives you a written record of what has been said (always good to have a record rather than just vague memories of what's been said in phone calls!).

thankyou! they told us what was wrong, we never declared my dads girlfriends income because we didn’t think we had to. turns out we did have to, and because we didn’t they just assumed she earned the most and therefore my sister needed the minimum loan. we know how to sort it, but it won’t be sorted in time so for the first 3 months we’ll have to figure out a way to get her the extra £2,000 she needs.
Glad you got an answer. It is based on household income so if she is part of the household (regardless of her not being related to you) then it must be included
Reply 18
Original post by ReadingMum
Glad you got an answer. It is based on household income so if she is part of the household (regardless of her not being related to you) then it must be included

it is silly really, considering she has no relation to me and won’t be contributing at all but thankyou anyway. glad we have an answer too.
Original post by gemz2v
not for london

Sorry the original post didn’t specify

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending