The Student Room Group

Uni 2022 question

Hi guys so I’m looking up unis to apply for ready for when I go back to college but I’m kinda lost so a course I’m looking at has entry requirements of ABB-BBB which is fine because I achieved ABB in my AS predictions so assuming they don’t change that should be safe, I also have my welsh bacc which won’t be marked until next year but the one thing that is getting me is where it says English language B required!

In my GCSE English I only achieved a C so I have a few questions
1) would resiting my English be a good idea to try to get it to a B before I attend uni
2) would the uni not accept me just because of my GCSE grade if so is there any point in going for it

Any replies would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Rosiemae885
Hi guys so I’m looking up unis to apply for ready for when I go back to college but I’m kinda lost so a course I’m looking at has entry requirements of ABB-BBB which is fine because I achieved ABB in my AS predictions so assuming they don’t change that should be safe, I also have my welsh bacc which won’t be marked until next year but the one thing that is getting me is where it says English language B required!

1) would resiting my English be a good idea to try to get it to a B before I attend uni
2) would the uni not accept me just because of my GCSE grade if so is there any point in going for it

If a university has a GCSE requirement that you dont meet then it is usually an automatic rejection so resitting will be necessary. However most universities dont have a requirement above a C so look around for universities that will accept you.

Secondly Welsh Bacc isnt accepted everywhere. It is acceptable in all Welsh universities but not all English universities. Some London universities dont accept it and from memory I dont believe Oxbridge, Durham or Warwick accept it but you will need to check individual universities. I think those close to the Welsh border do including Bristol, Exeter, Liverpool and Manchester and some further afield.

If you have English Lit grade B some unis will accept that instead, but you need to check with them. Other than that, you will need to retake your English or find other unis that will accept a C grade

1) only if the universities you wish to attend require grade B.
2) if it’s listed as a requirement on their website, failing to meet the minimum gcse requirements often leads to a fast rejection.
Original post by swanseajack1
If a university has a GCSE requirement that you dont meet then it is usually an automatic rejection so resitting will be necessary. However most universities dont have a requirement above a C so look around for universities that will accept you.

Secondly Welsh Bacc isnt accepted everywhere. It is acceptable in all Welsh universities but not all English universities. Some London universities dont accept it and from memory I dont believe Oxbridge, Durham or Warwick accept it but you will need to check individual universities. I think those close to the Welsh border do including Bristol, Exeter, Liverpool and Manchester and some further afield.

Thanks for the reply, the university I am looking at does accept welsh bacc fortunately but I don’t think I’ll be relying on it anyway as I have 3 other A levels alongside it that are within the A level requirement, I’ll defo have to consider resiting my English language then for when I go back to college
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mnot
1) only if the universities you wish to attend require grade B.
2) if it’s listed as a requirement on their website, failing to meet the minimum gcse requirements often leads to a fast rejection.

Right okay that makes sense, tbh I was expecting this answer, but another question because when I apply for the university I obviously won’t have my resit mark back especially if I’m only entered in the summer would I have to let the university know I am resiting
Original post by harrysbar
If you have English Lit grade B some unis will accept that instead, but you need to check with them. Other than that, you will need to retake your English or find other unis that will accept a C grade

Yeah the uni course I am looking into says they accept both English lit or language but again I only achieved C in English literature aswel and resitting literature wouldn’t be an option, it’s so frustrating that my GCSEs could prevent me going to a particular uni
Thanks for the reply, the university I am looking at does accept welsh bacc fortunately but I don’t think I’ll be relying on it anyway as I have 3 other A levels alongside it that are within the A level requirement, I’ll defo have to consider resiting my English language then for when I go back to college

Ideally you would have resat your GCSE before the exams in which you intend sitting A levels. If you still have the GCSE result outstanding the university wont be able to accept or reject you until GCSE result dat which is later than the A level result day. This can lead to issues with accommodation if you get rejected and end up in your insurance university.
Reply 8

question 1) it would depend on the course however most unis tend to just want a C for example i doing a Software Engineering Course with just a C in Maths.
Question 2) Most Unis will accept you however some unis such as Cambridge and Oxford might want higher grades. But in general GCSE grades only are important for getting into college and A-levels are most important for getting into Uni and Uni Degrees are most important for your first jobs in the given field after that point its all about your previous job experience
Yeah the uni course I am looking into says they accept both English lit or language but again I only achieved C in English literature aswel and resitting literature wouldn’t be an option, it’s so frustrating that my GCSEs could prevent me going to a particular uni

If you are retaking English GCSE you will need to list it on your UCAS form alongside other exams pending (your A levels) so the unis know that you are retaking that exam. Then your conditional offer will say something like ABB or BBB at A level plus GCSE B in English Language.

You get 5 choices of university, I advise you to also apply to a uni that doesn't have this GCSE requirement if you can, as a back up.
Right okay that makes sense, tbh I was expecting this answer, but another question because when I apply for the university I obviously won’t have my resit mark back especially if I’m only entered in the summer would I have to let the university know I am resiting

Yes
Ideally you would have resat your GCSE before the exams in which you intend sitting A levels. If you still have the GCSE result outstanding the university wont be able to accept or reject you until GCSE result dat which is later than the A level result day. This can lead to issues with accommodation if you get rejected and end up in your insurance university.

see this is the thing, back last year I asked my college if I could resit my English and they said no which was extremely annoying because I wanted to get it done out the way but i got told i had to wait until the 2nd year of college, not sure if this was due to covid or something but yeah ill ask my tutors and see what they say
see this is the thing, back last year I asked my college if I could resit my English and they said no which was extremely annoying because I wanted to get it done out the way but i got told i had to wait until the 2nd year of college, not sure if this was due to covid or something but yeah ill ask my tutors and see what they say

My concern is that if you go with your current first choice and dont achieve the English grade you will be a week behind everyone else at your insurance uni and will have very little choice of accommodation as most perhaps all will be taken up. If it was me in your shoes I would be looking at somewhere just requiring a grade C in English Language. Most universities dont require grade C. You could also look at AAB universities as an aspirational. Many make offers to students 1 grade below and often accept less than their published grades on results day. However universities dont usually accept lower than their published GCSE requirements,
My concern is that if you go with your current first choice and dont achieve the English grade you will be a week behind everyone else at your insurance uni and will have very little choice of accommodation as most perhaps all will be taken up. If it was me in your shoes I would be looking at somewhere just requiring a grade C in English Language. Most universities dont require grade C. You could also look at AAB universities as an aspirational. Many make offers to students 1 grade below and often accept less than their published grades on results day. However universities dont usually accept lower than their published GCSE requirements,

yeah I have quite a few unis in mind that only require C grades and I should be able to resit my English language in November as well as Im welsh and they still allow for November resits so fingers crossed I can get my B then
yeah I have quite a few unis in mind that only require C grades and I should be able to resit my English language in November as well as Im welsh and they still allow for November resits so fingers crossed I can get my B then

Good Luck - it’s good that you will be resitting in November anyway as it will make UCAS easier if you apply anywhere that does need that GCSE to be a B
Original post by harrysbar
Good Luck - it’s good that you will be resitting in November anyway as it will make UCAS easier if you apply anywhere that does need that GCSE to be a B

Thank you and thank you for replying, fingers crossed I can get the B in november but if not at least it wont be any harm
A few things to add:
1 - If you contact your collage now (in summer hols) and find out of if they will let you resit - not sure of they will as you only are expressing an interest a year after doing GCSEs but i have limited knowledge on that aspect.
2 - You may be able to get in for the November resit and you will get results in January/February time (I think it was early feb last year but that could be wrong). Obvs you would need to start revising soonish!!!
3 - then you would be able to either (depended on when the November resist results come out), you could update your grade on UCAS and be able to apply before the UCAS fair consideration deadline (which is late jan/ early feb too!) or apply any time before hand with a predicted GCSE English lang result.
4 - You may have to go back to your secondary school to do the resit - not sure, i think that is collage dependent.

If all else fails, the uni will probally be a straight out reject if you dont have the GCSE grade therefore I would find another uni with a similar course (obvs depends what course you are looking to do as to how easy that it!!!)

hope this helps
Original post by oliviapig
A few things to add:
1 - If you contact your collage now (in summer hols) and find out of if they will let you resit - not sure of they will as you only are expressing an interest a year after doing GCSEs but i have limited knowledge on that aspect.
2 - You may be able to get in for the November resit and you will get results in January/February time (I think it was early feb last year but that could be wrong). Obvs you would need to start revising soonish!!!
3 - then you would be able to either (depended on when the November resist results come out), you could update your grade on UCAS and be able to apply before the UCAS fair consideration deadline (which is late jan/ early feb too!) or apply any time before hand with a predicted GCSE English lang result.
4 - You may have to go back to your secondary school to do the resit - not sure, i think that is collage dependent.

If all else fails, the uni will probally be a straight out reject if you dont have the GCSE grade therefore I would find another uni with a similar course (obvs depends what course you are looking to do as to how easy that it!!!)

hope this helps

Thanks for the reply, the most annoying thing about this whole situation is that I asked my college back last October asking if I could resit my English but apparnelty due to covid I couldn’t because of mixing of class bubbles or something, I’m 99% sure my college do resist anyway so I wouldn’t have to worry about going back to my secondary school to do it, I also think what imma do is if I can resit then I will apply for the uni and see how it goes, I’m not too worried about not going to that exact uni like I would of liked to but it’s not worth worrying over when I can go to another uni with a similar course that accepts English at a C grade

Latest

Trending

Trending