The Student Room Group

new glasses - not happy

i got new glasses today, the last pair that were free. I’m so upset rn my glasses look hideooooouuuuuussss. Ok ok not that bad but the bridge is so THICK i didn’t realise. When i try glasses on, i cant see how i look at ALL unless i go VERY close into the mirror and this time i was all alone so me being nervous just did things too quick without thinking. Buying new ones is out the question since for me, the lenses itself is just £200+.

Is there any way i can thin the bridge so that wearing them isn’t that embarrassing? Maybe i’ll just stick with my old ones, the prescription isn’t THAT different.

edit: i’ve got an appointment on friday again and i’m gonna try make them make it fit better and stuff.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
boost, these glasses have ruined my day so advice is needed and appreciated😭😭😭
Original post by sumayaaa
boost, these glasses have ruined my day so advice is needed and appreciated😭😭😭

Can I ask where you got them from? I believe Specsavers have a 100 day return policy or something but I'd check with whatever opticians you got them from. I honestly get you with the having to be really close when picking out glasses. If you manage to return them, I'd recommend taking someone with you to pick a new pair or if you wear contacts, do that. Usually you're having your vision tested and pick your glasses immediately after so you can't wear contacts but that's one option. Hope some of this helps? If you can't return them and the situation is that desperate, it's worth looking for another optician, as you can always have your glasses made somewhere different to where you check your eyes. I've heard that ASDA opticians is quite cheap? (could be wrong though).
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Can I ask where you got them from? I believe Specsavers have a 100 day return policy or something but I'd check with whatever opticians you got them from. I honestly get you with the having to be really close when picking out glasses. If you manage to return them, I'd recommend taking someone with you to pick a new pair or if you wear contacts, do that. Usually you're having your vision tested and pick your glasses immediately after so you can't wear contacts but that's one option. Hope some of this helps? If you can't return them and the situation is that desperate, it's worth looking for another optician, as you can always have your glasses made somewhere different to where you check your eyes. I've heard that ASDA opticians is quite cheap? (could be wrong though).

thanks for the reply! ah mine is from spec stores, i’ve been going there for AGES. I decided to just wear my old glasses sigh, if worst comes to worst i can just sign up to another opticians like spec savers or somehow pop the lens out my new glasses and put it in a new frame (if that’s possible, i wouldn’t mind paying an extra cheap fee for that)

thanks again for the help!
thanks for the reply! ah mine is from spec stores, i’ve been going there for AGES. I decided to just wear my old glasses sigh, if worst comes to worst i can just sign up to another opticians like spec savers or somehow pop the lens out my new glasses and put it in a new frame (if that’s possible, i wouldn’t mind paying an extra cheap fee for that)

thanks again for the help!

Usually unless your going for a smaller frame, of a similar shape, it won't be possible to change the lenses as they are cut so the strongest point is over your pupil (which is different on different frames). I would really recommend looking into other opticians and they're prices (you don't have to register there, just take your prescription along). Also if you wear a weaker prescription, there is some evidence to suggest this makes your eyesight worse! Good luck with everything
Reply 5
Usually unless your going for a smaller frame, of a similar shape, it won't be possible to change the lenses as they are cut so the strongest point is over your pupil (which is different on different frames). I would really recommend looking into other opticians and they're prices (you don't have to register there, just take your prescription along). Also if you wear a weaker prescription, there is some evidence to suggest this makes your eyesight worse! Good luck with everything

wait so if i wear my old glasses it could make my eyesight worse?? Ah my old glasses and my new ones don’t differ much in prescription and i haven’t gotten used to my new ones. I swear a lot of people keep their glasses for YEARS and don’t get eye tested much since it costs money after youre 18 no?
wait so if i wear my old glasses it could make my eyesight worse?? Ah my old glasses and my new ones don’t differ much in prescription and i haven’t gotten used to my new ones. I swear a lot of people keep their glasses for YEARS and don’t get eye tested much since it costs money after youre 18 no?

Yeah a lot of people do continue to wear the wrong prescription. I can't remember the exact studies but one was done investigating whether under prescribing childhood glasses could reduce changes in vision but the group who had under prescriptions actually had worse vision progression compared to those who had the right prescription. Your eyes don't stop growing until 20-21 so it's still worth keeping up to date with prescription until about this age but honestly, I understand the people who can't afford it, it's so expensive, especially when your vision gets worse every six months.
Reply 7
Yeah a lot of people do continue to wear the wrong prescription. I can't remember the exact studies but one was done investigating whether under prescribing childhood glasses could reduce changes in vision but the group who had under prescriptions actually had worse vision progression compared to those who had the right prescription. Your eyes don't stop growing until 20-21 so it's still worth keeping up to date with prescription until about this age but honestly, I understand the people who can't afford it, it's so expensive, especially when your vision gets worse every six months.

The study was done wrong, the underprescription was not controlled, some had underprescription that was not correcting even to 6/12, in fact there is another study that slight underprescriotion for up close and mid-range slow down myopia progression and undercorrection to better then 6/12 is harmless.
In my practice (and my own experience) a lot of people can't tolerate their full prescription and slight undercorrection is much more comfortable for them.
Original post by Kathy89
The study was done wrong, the underprescription was not controlled, some had underprescription that was not correcting even to 6/12, in fact there is another study that slight underprescriotion for up close and mid-range slow down myopia progression and undercorrection to better then 6/12 is harmless.
In my practice (and my own experience) a lot of people can't tolerate their full prescription and slight undercorrection is much more comfortable for them.

I don't think that's the study I was referring to but I completely respect that there are some that aren't controlled and in practice people often prefer under correction.

Quick Reply

Latest