The Student Room Group

I received A*A*A in A levels

.lncslancaslcnsalcjnasjlc
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raisul_Bhuiya
Am I too good for University of Manchester? My results are A* for Eco and Accounting and A for business, and I have an unconditional offer at UOM. I want to work in investment banking

No, you are not "too good", lol. There are universities with higher entry requirements you can apply to. Did you apply to other universities and not get in? or did you just exceed your predicted grades?
Reply 2
Are you too good? The audacity
I don't think they're boasting. They just worded the post in a foolish way. I think they meant: "Could I do better than the university of Manchester with such and such grades if I want to pursue a degree in investment banking?"
Am I too good for University of Manchester? My results are A* for Eco and Accounting and A for business, and I have an unconditional offer at UOM. I want to work in investment banking

The overlap in your subjects would put some top universities off.

:laugh: 'too good'....
Original post by ageshallnot
The overlap in your subjects would put some top universities off.

I was thinking that. Plus accounting often appears in a 'non-preferred' list of subjects. So three A levels, all three of which overlap and one of which is a bit suspect.

Very 'too good'...
Yes you are too good though I would have something a tiny bit more humble. Imo you could do much better than manchester with those grades like honestly.
Original post by Ferrari08
Yes you are too good though I would have something a tiny bit more humble. Imo you could do much better than manchester with those grades like honestly.

They couldn’t, the grades might be good but the subject combination is not; they wouldn’t be able to get into a target
i would try my luck with a few targets/semi's - warwicks/ucl/notts too - would have manchester perhaps as an insurance if it interests you
This subject choice is pretty weird, could've at least done maths rather than business/accounting

No, you were lucky to get an offer with those three A levels. Most school won't allow BS and Econ - and no Maths? that is more of a disadvantage.
What a nonsense subject combination lmao
For what course?
Original post by Ferrari08

Hasn’t everyone got high grades this year?
Original post by ajj2000
Hasn’t everyone got high grades this year?

Presumably so, but results day isn't for another few weeks. However, that makes me wonder why they're asking this question now so close to admission...
(edited 2 years ago)
How do you know you received those grades? Results day is on 10th august
OP could be in year 12 and got an early offer of admission and is merely referencing predicted grades. I do wonder what the actual situation is given how strange the timing is.
Reply 18
For investment banking your best way in would be economics or finance/management science. All three of these BScs will require an A level in maths at least if you’re aiming for schools which have easier routes to investment banking. It’ll be easier to break into the field from universities such as lse, oxbridge, ucl, warwick, kings than it will be for pretty much anywhere else but again - they will want a level maths at either an A or A*. Theres too much statistical analysis and data analysis for you to not have it mate unless you’re willing to learn and perfect it alongside your course
im sure the university which hosted Rutherford, Bohr & Chadwick is desperate for students of your caliber to come & drag up their reputation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending