The Student Room Group

Is Physics A level worth doing?

Hi everyone,

I’m planning on studying software engineering at university, so the A levels I’ve chosen to do for September are Computer Science, Maths and I’m very stuck on the third one.

The whole year I planned on doing Physics, because I assumed it would go well and would be interesting, at GCSE I didn’t like nor dislike it. I’m really stuck if it’s worth doing?

What do you guys think I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Hi Zainab,
I’m currently in year 12, going into year 13, and I’m doing Physics at A-Level (predicted A*). I was really similar to you where Physics wasn’t my favourite subject but I didn’t hate it either… I would say if you got the equivalent of an A for GCSE physics then go for it. For me, a lot of the course is like an extension of GCSE knowledge (e.g. if you did electricity, waves, momentum etc.) so understanding GCSE work is really really important.
Also A-Level Physics at my school is VERY mathy. I’m not sure if it’s the same at your school but if your school does AQA A-Level physics then just know doing maths will make everything 10x easier. So if you enjoy maths (which u probs do since ur planning on doing it at A-Level) also go for it!
I’m not very familiar with a software engineering course since I’m more into humanities but physics sounds very fitting. But at the end of the day if you’re not into physics much like me you prob will find it really difficult to revise so think about that as well. I did manage to do well even though I struggled with revision so as long as you’re willing to work hard then it could be the best option for you! I don’t even want anything to do with Physics when I go to Uni yet I’ve found that it’s the subject I work the hardest for!!! Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
You may want to add further maths if considering the most competitive universities.
Reply 3
Wouldn't recommend it if you didn't actually need it for what you wanted to do at uni.
Original post by zainabxxx
Hi everyone,

I’m planning on studying software engineering at university, so the A levels I’ve chosen to do for September are Computer Science, Maths and I’m very stuck on the third one.

The whole year I planned on doing Physics, because I assumed it would go well and would be interesting, at GCSE I didn’t like nor dislike it. I’m really stuck if it’s worth doing?

I want to study Aerospace Engineering and physics is a must for me. It also depends on what uni you want to go to. For a lot of unis, especially the top ones, they require physics (and maths) to apply for an engineering course. Physics would definitely open up your options and it would help you massively in your software engineering course, and a lot of A-Level physics links with A-Level maths.
However. If physics is a subject you didn’t particularly like, don’t do it. You don’t want to be studying a subject for 2 years just because it’s useful. However, do your research and make sure physics isn’t required for your course - you don’t want to have regrets!
Another option is, you could take physics as an extra A-Level for the first few weeks and see how you like it. If you don’t like it, you can drop it but try to keep your options open!
Hope this helps!
Reply 5
Original post by reenauppal
Hi Zainab,
I’m currently in year 12, going into year 13, and I’m doing Physics at A-Level (predicted A*). I was really similar to you where Physics wasn’t my favourite subject but I didn’t hate it either… I would say if you got the equivalent of an A for GCSE physics then go for it. For me, a lot of the course is like an extension of GCSE knowledge (e.g. if you did electricity, waves, momentum etc.) so understanding GCSE work is really really important.
Also A-Level Physics at my school is VERY mathy. I’m not sure if it’s the same at your school but if your school does AQA A-Level physics then just know doing maths will make everything 10x easier. So if you enjoy maths (which u probs do since ur planning on doing it at A-Level) also go for it!
I’m not very familiar with a software engineering course since I’m more into humanities but physics sounds very fitting. But at the end of the day if you’re not into physics much like me you prob will find it really difficult to revise so think about that as well. I did manage to do well even though I struggled with revision so as long as you’re willing to work hard then it could be the best option for you! I don’t even want anything to do with Physics when I go to Uni yet I’ve found that it’s the subject I work the hardest for!!! Hope this helped :smile:

Hi Reena,

Thank you so much! Everything you have said makes a lot of sense, I do enjoy maths which I think is good for a level physics, the school I’m going to is going to be doing ocr b physics.

Physics does interest me but not that much, I’m very neutral about it, if I don’t choose physics I have no idea what else I would choose to be honest. GCSE Results day is on August 12th so I’m hoping to get an 8 or 9 InshAllah.

Thank you so much once again :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
You may want to add further maths if considering the most competitive universities.

I was thinking too but would it be manageable with the other a levels I’m doing?
Reply 7
Original post by pricklyhedgehog
I want to study Aerospace Engineering and physics is a must for me. It also depends on what uni you want to go to. For a lot of unis, especially the top ones, they require physics (and maths) to apply for an engineering course. Physics would definitely open up your options and it would help you massively in your software engineering course, and a lot of A-Level physics links with A-Level maths.
However. If physics is a subject you didn’t particularly like, don’t do it. You don’t want to be studying a subject for 2 years just because it’s useful. However, do your research and make sure physics isn’t required for your course - you don’t want to have regrets!
Another option is, you could take physics as an extra A-Level for the first few weeks and see how you like it. If you don’t like it, you can drop it but try to keep your options open!
Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I have looked into it, it’s not a must but some universities do like it, How did you find a level physics in general?
Reply 8
I also want to do software engineering and I’m still contemplating A level physics. It’s good as it sharpens your maths, analytical and problem solving skills, but I’ve heard it’s incredibly hard. Since you’ve already got maths and CS, you don’t really need physics as it’s not essential. Try doing further maths as it’s much more helpful than physics.
I was thinking too but would it be manageable with the other a levels I’m doing?

Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science is better than Maths, Physics, Computer Science if you think you enjoy maths enough (or more than physics at least).
Original post by Hiim
I also want to do software engineering and I’m still contemplating A level physics. It’s good as it sharpens your maths, analytical and problem solving skills, but I’ve heard it’s incredibly hard. Since you’ve already got maths and CS, you don’t really need physics as it’s not essential. Try doing further maths as it’s much more helpful than physics.

If physics is "incredibly hard" then words cannot describe further maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by tej3141
I physics is "incredibly hard" then words cannot describe further maths.

Depends what parts of physics they find hard.

Further maths is the exception to the rule about not taking 4 a levels so should be ok so long as you are strong at gcse maths.
You could always just do 3 A-levels including further maths since physics is not a requirement.
Reply 14
Original post by JustSomeGuy:/
You could always just do 3 A-levels including further maths since physics is not a requirement.

Very true but my school only allows you to do further maths as a fourth a level 😫
Very true but my school only allows you to do further maths as a fourth a level 😫

Well if you don't see yourself being able to manage 4 A-levels then you can stick with doing 3 with physics or any other science for that matter. You could do 40, see how you manage and then drop/keep further maths depending on how you feel.
Hi everyone,

I did Maths/CS/Physics. In physics I always struggled with the explanation questions, so make sure you're reasonably confident with those. Also, for revision, I'd highly recommend this site:

https://www.alevelphysicsonline.com/
Hi everyone,

Better would be further maths. Physics is generally a good subject to have, but whether you want to do it is something only you can decide. Look at the course, watch videos, etc.

Are you sure your school requires you to see all 4 to the end? We had to start on 4 too but could drop something that wasn't further later.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18
learn how to code rather than choosing third topics learn how to program frond end and back end systems
Reply 19
Original post by Filthy Communist
Better would be further maths. Physics is generally a good subject to have, but whether you want to do it is something only you can decide. Look at the course, watch videos, etc.

Are you sure your school requires you to see all 4 to the end? We had to start on 4 too but could drop something that wasn't further later.

I agree with you, I’ll ask on results day if it’s possible to drop something that isn’t further, thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest