The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

I'm tired of the far left

Within the last 10 years a loud minority of people who identify with the far-left politically have introduced a toxic culture to university campuses, colleges, public sector departments and even some commercial businesses, and they have done so in the name of equality and diversity.

We all want equality and diversity for everybody, however the toxic woke cancel-culture has nothing whatsoever to do with inclusion.

When I started university and joined the debating society, people would argue their point on the basis of things called "facts" and they would make references to something called "science".
Debates would be hotly contested by people who were on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of their worldview. It made for interesting viewing for the audience.

These days, if somebody doesn't agree with the worldview of the kind of people who hold sway at university unions, they will simply not be allowed to talk at the union. They will be 'cancelled'/'de-platformed'.

I find this absolutely absurd.
University is supposed to be an opportunity to be challenged and in so doing you would be able to construct an informed worldview.
However, what these people are creating is a giant echo-chamber within their university.
I find this to be anti-democratic and pretty infantile.

Obviously somebody will reply to this thread telling me about how some subgroup of society experienced persecution in the past, how violence was used against this group of people and how, if I don't agree with them, I must be a nazi.

But nonsense aside, I really am becoming concerned that these people are creating an unhealthy and toxic echo-chamber, and I feel it's time to push back.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought you loved me :frown:
Cry some more. There are bigger problems in the world
Push back, then. Put a point about an actual topic where you see arguments made that you don't agree with, and then we can have an actual dialogue about it. Until then, it's all identity politics, tribalism, and hot air.
It's unfortunate because the left wing have good points and the extremists make it seem otherwise.
Reply 5
Original post by ashtolga23
It's unfortunate because the left wing have good points and the extremists make it seem otherwise.

I agree with this.
Marxism is the only way to fair society as demonstrated by Venezuela, Cuba, Congo & North Korea.

Look at the dangerous side effects of economic liberalism like freedom, democracy, socioeconomic development. It’s only a matter of time before the West catches up.
Original post by mathperson
Within the last 10 years a loud minority of people who identify with the far-left politically have introduced a toxic culture to university campuses, colleges, public sector departments and even some commercial businesses, and they have done so in the name of equality and diversity.

We all want equality and diversity for everybody, however the toxic woke cancel-culture has nothing whatsoever to do with inclusion.

When I started university and joined the debating society, people would argue their point on the basis of things called "facts" and they would make references to something called "science".
Debates would be hotly contested by people who were on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of their worldview. It made for interesting viewing for the audience.

These days, if somebody doesn't agree with the worldview of the kind of people who hold sway at university unions, they will simply not be allowed to talk at the union. They will be 'cancelled'/'de-platformed'.

University is supposed to be an opportunity to be challenged and in so doing you would be able to construct an informed worldview.
However, what these people are creating is a giant echo-chamber within their university.

Obviously somebody will reply to this thread telling me about how some subgroup of society experienced persecution in the past, how violence was used against this group of people and how, if I don't agree with them, I must be a nazi.

But nonsense aside, I really am becoming concerned that these people are creating an unhealthy and toxic echo-chamber, and I feel it's time to push back.

It depends what you consider the ‘far-left’ and what you consider to be inclusive. Here are some questions for you:
Are you pro-choice or pro-life?
Are you a feminist and do you support feminism?
Do you believe there should be a more racially-inclusive system?
Are you able to justify white supremacy?
Are you able to justify sexism, against any gender?
Do you believe there’s more than 2 genders?
Do you believe it’s people’s fault that they are poor?
Honestly, before you have a go at ‘extremist lefties’, just wanna see what your personal opinions are on things :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
Marxism is the only way to fair society as demonstrated by Venezuela, Cuba, Congo & North Korea.

Look at the dangerous side effects of economic liberalism like freedom, democracy, socioeconomic development. It’s only a matter of time before the West catches up.

This isn't an anti-left thread. It's an anti-"I can't take hearing the opinions of people who don't agree with me" thread.
The ultimate goal of woke is to raise class consciousness, convince people that the only way to achive a life worth living is revolution not incremental progress.
It's disgusting how woke has been allowed to invade so many of our institutions.
Original post by pricklyhedgehog
It depends what you consider the ‘far-left’ and what you consider to be inclusive. Here are some questions for you:
Are you pro-choice or pro-life?
Are you a feminist and do you support feminism?
Do you believe there should be a more racially-inclusive system?
Are you able to justify white supremacy?
Are you able to justify sexism, against any gender?
Do you believe there’s more than 2 genders?
Do you believe it’s people’s fault that they are poor?
Honestly, before you have a go at ‘extremist lefties’, just wanna see what your personal opinions are on things :smile:

I can concoct a list of questions too, that seem absurd if you give one answer but completely reasonable if you provide another.
As long as it doesn't cross any basic laws or defy human morality, I think opposing opinions should definitely not be ignored or cancelled.
But even so the majority will always hold the power to determine a general opinion or trend of thought. If this mega-opinion goes against an individual's belief/thoughts, they are the minority. Minorities never have been and will never be respected.

However minority vs majority means nothing once one side holds the moral upper ground, it's over. For example, America where opposites in political ideology is quite evenly spread out yet on the surface the Democrats are in possession of the 'good side' persona and yet really they're both just as bad/good as each other when it comes to all the major controversial subjects and act almost exactly the same as each other.
It really is all about perception.

At the end of the day, if we humans want to survive we have to blend in. Currently that means silencing an alternative opinion and sticking with a carefully constructed politically correct way of life.
I'm guessing someone is annoyed that their gender and non-vaccination threads didn't go well.

I remember my first year at SOAS. Everybody had to attend a consent workshop. During mine they put on the board key values students should have during the workshop and in general. The top one was tolerance. As soon as the group discussions began about certain issues, that tolerance went flying out the window. Some people have no idea of what tolerance is. Being tolerant of an idea you agree with is not tolerance.

It was then i learned what you have alluded to here.
I can concoct a list of questions too, that seem absurd if you give one answer but completely reasonable if you provide another.

Well no I’d just like to know what your views are before you start attacking a political party like that. People seem to justify ‘oh I’m just tory’ for saying racist /sexist /discriminatory things so it’s interesting you politely declined to answer those questions 😂
Im not saying there is a right or wrong answer to those questions. I won’t attack you if I disagree with you. The thing is with a lot of the ‘extremist’ lefties is that they disagree and say immediately ‘ur racist and sexist and evil’… instead of challenging that person’s views and trying to understand why they have certain views. Im someone who prefers to challenge people and question why you think that way, or making people wonder if they weren’t as fortunate as they are, would they have different views?
It would be interesting to see what your answers to those questions are though
Original post by Admit-One
I'm guessing someone is annoyed that their gender and non-vaccination threads didn't go well.

I haven't stopped crying. Would you kindly pass me more tissues please? :frown:
I’m tired of the far right but I’m not crying about it
Please stop posting threads like this outside of Debate and Current Affairs.
Original post by Satori Tendō
For example, America where opposites in political ideology is quite evenly spread out yet on the surface the Democrats are in possession of the 'good side' persona and yet really they're both just as bad/good as each other when it comes to all the major controversial subjects and act almost exactly the same as each other.
It really is all about perception.

So the party that wants to restrict gun availability and improve background checks, and the party that thinks the best antidote to mass shootings is more guns, and the party that wants healthcare to be universally available, and the party that thinks astronomical medical bills are good because they incentivise employment, are the same party? Really?

Out of the worst ten American states for COVID cases per capita in the last week, ALL OF THEM are Republican-leaning states and all have below-average vaccination rates. But yeah, no, Democrats and Republicans are basically the same.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html See for yourself.

Get your both sides fallacy outta here.
find a hobby

Latest

Trending

Trending