The Student Room Group

Rent? Is £185/week for 51 weeks affordable on a student loan?

I just want to see how much rent other students pay on their student loans and if 185/week with bills included is affordable?
Original post by The A-level kid
I just want to see how much rent other students pay on their student loans and if 185/week with bills included is affordable?

£185 per week is unbelievably expensive. That's more than I pay for my house (I'm no longer a student).
If I were you, I would try making contact with other students at the university (even 2nd / 3rd years) to see if you can get yourself into a house share.
Universities bleed first year students dry with their sky-high accommodation rates.

If this is in London, that’s not wildly out with what I’d expect - however, anywhere else then I’d say that’s definitely on the higher end.

Equally, do you need the accommodation for 51 weeks? That would mean you have it for the whole summer, which may be worthwhile if you want to stay in the uni town to work, study, explore etc but it’ll be a waste if you’ll just move back home for summer. If so, try and find somewhere that will do a shorter let (I think it’s around 38 weeks for a typical uni let that doesn’t include summer).
Very expensive. You should get a job to help survive
Reply 4

No that’s wayyyy too much my parents house would be £200 a week
Definitely not affordable. Look into 40 week contracts. If it's outside of London you shouldn't really be paying more than £150 a week imo (lots of places are like £80)
Original post by Caz1234567
Definitely not affordable. Look into 40 week contracts. If it's outside of London you shouldn't really be paying more than £150 a week imo (lots of places are like £80)

I'm not op but a lot of students can't do 40 week contracts cause they're estranged and won't have anywhere to go for the summer
Thats very expensive, I would search for a house share instead with other students. Otherwise you will require a part-time job to supplement your income.
Original post by Moonlight rain
I'm not op but a lot of students can't do 40 week contracts cause they're estranged and won't have anywhere to go for the summer

I know, but op didn't say that they didn't have anywhere to go for summer. I've met a lot of people who applied for 51 weeks because they thought that they were supposed to be in school for that long etc. If you have somewhere you can stay during the holidays I'd highly recommend 40 weeks, and if you want to save more you could go for 30ish weeks (depends on uni) and move out during Xmas and Easter.
Whenever I read about Uk rent prices I am just buffled. Even here in Germany I live in one of the more expensive areas, but what is suggested in this post weekly, is just a little under what I pay monthly (£247,50) for my one bedroom appartment. (not Student accommodation). However, it equals student accom in Munich, which is next to Berlin one of the most expensive and unaffordable places in Germany (for regualar renting). But as an outsider, if it is avoidavle I would not sum up £185.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending