The Student Room Group

Why am I starting to dislike everyone in my life?

I don’t know how to explain it but with me I’ve kind of noticed I just always start to dislike/push my friends if there’s a little thing or trait that I don’t like about them.

For example, recently I met up with some of my friends I haven’t met up with in a long time (different friend groups) & I just felt so awkward & out of place with them.. I know I’m the problem but idk. I just don’t know why I feel so out of place & awkward with my friends now.. and they’re my only friends (3 of them) and I feel bad for pushing them away/not liking them :frown:.

I want to hang around with them of course but I just don’t want to continue hanging out with them if what I mostly I feel is uncomfortableness and detachedness wHen I’m with them. They’re great friends to me but as per usual I’m just finding a reason to push them away. The other one, I just feel like she’s become pretty negative. but who knows maybe I’m just making up a reason to push her away.

I know it probably doesn’t make much sense but i hope there’s anyone who can help me out or feels the same way. It’s the reason why I’ve never had a close friend in my life cause I’m just so detached. & it’s also the reason I barely have any friends today.
Reply 1
I also notice that always after I come back from meeting with friends I always critically judge myself for any awkwardness or weird thing that happened during the meet & I just end up hating myself.
How old are you? I think around my early teens I went through this kind of thing because of hormone changes really. Maybe counselling could help alleviate it a little.

If you're older than that then I'd still look into professional help so you can work through these feelings healthily.
Reply 3
Original post by ashtolga23
How old are you? I think around my early teens I went through this kind of thing because of hormone changes really. Maybe counselling could help alleviate it a little.

If you're older than that then I'd still look into professional help so you can work through these feelings healthily.

Hey, I’ve just turned 18 :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I’ve just turned 18 :smile:

Aw I'm just about to turn 18 actually! Well, I'm just under a month.

It sounds like your self esteem has taken a bit of a hit. Maybe you're projecting that onto your friends? It can also be hard to properly love other people when you don't love yourself; that's a statement I used to object to when I was younger as I thought it implied you're incapable of love if you have poor self-image, but I think it really means that you won't show that love in a healthy manner.

I would definitely seek advice from someone more experienced, and start practicing self-care if you don't already. Surround yourself with positivity and remind yourself of what makes you strong and capable. It sounds silly maybe but there are lots of pages on Instagram which can boost your mood a little. Constant little changes like that can make a significant difference I feel. If they don't, there are professionals that can help guide you.
I don’t know how to explain it but with me I’ve kind of noticed I just always start to dislike/push my friends if there’s a little thing or trait that I don’t like about them.

For example, recently I met up with some of my friends I haven’t met up with in a long time (different friend groups) & I just felt so awkward & out of place with them.. I know I’m the problem but idk. I just don’t know why I feel so out of place & awkward with my friends now.. and they’re my only friends (3 of them) and I feel bad for pushing them away/not liking them :frown:.

I want to hang around with them of course but I just don’t want to continue hanging out with them if what I mostly I feel is uncomfortableness and detachedness wHen I’m with them. They’re great friends to me but as per usual I’m just finding a reason to push them away. The other one, I just feel like she’s become pretty negative. but who knows maybe I’m just making up a reason to push her away.

I know it probably doesn’t make much sense but i hope there’s anyone who can help me out or feels the same way. It’s the reason why I’ve never had a close friend in my life cause I’m just so detached. & it’s also the reason I barely have any friends today.

Yeah, I’ve felt that way sometimes too, but I promise, it does get better. In the mean time, try finding something you enjoy to distract yourself, put on some headphones and listen to music, watch a film, read a book, learn a language!
Reply 6
Original post by ashtolga23
Aw I'm just about to turn 18 actually! Well, I'm just under a month.

It sounds like your self esteem has taken a bit of a hit. Maybe you're projecting that onto your friends? It can also be hard to properly love other people when you don't love yourself; that's a statement I used to object to when I was younger as I thought it implied you're incapable of love if you have poor self-image, but I think it really means that you won't show that love in a healthy manner.

I would definitely seek advice from someone more experienced, and start practicing self-care if you don't already. Surround yourself with positivity and remind yourself of what makes you strong and capable. It sounds silly maybe but there are lots of pages on Instagram which can boost your mood a little. Constant little changes like that can make a significant difference I feel. If they don't, there are professionals that can help guide you.

I just wanna say thank you so much for this answer. You’ve helped me out & I definelty am self projecting :frown:. I used to do self care but just stopped a few months ago & realised ever since then I’ve been feeling like crap. I’m just gonna try and embrace my awkwardness & get back to self care again
I just wanna say thank you so much for this answer. You’ve helped me out & I definelty am self projecting :frown:. I used to do self care but just stopped a few months ago & realised ever since then I’ve been feeling like crap. I’m just gonna try and embrace my awkwardness & get back to self care again

I'm so glad I could help! I hope you feel better soon <3

Quick Reply

Latest