The Student Room Group

Jobs and Other Ways to Gain Experience in Psychology

Hi, I wanted to know what are some of the areas where you could work to gain experience in psychology other than direct and competitive fields like Assistant Psychologist, Research Psychologist, etc?
I'm planning to do a "MSc Psychology Conversion" since I'm an International Student so I wanted to find ways to gain experience while studying.
Volunteering for NHS or mental health charities, support or care worker jobs or similar, unpaid research assistant at university :smile:
Hi @snehasamsonk,

It is great to hear you are interested in gaining experience in psychology and it always looks great to employers and courses that you apply for! I currently study Psychology at the University of Sheffield and throughout my time at uni/sixth form I have also been trying to gain experience in relevant fields.

As you mentioned gaining experience in psychological settings is really difficult due to the level of competition and issues of confidentiality. To make up for this, I have found that being involved in volunteering opportunities can really help to develop essential skills relevant to the psychological field and show potential employers/courses your ability and willingness to learn.

Depending on where you are based, I have found that charities such as Mind and IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Service) offer great opportunities to get some real client experience and gain a feel for what working in psychology is like. In my first year of uni, I spent a lot of time google searching for local opportunities and availability. There are lots out there and keeping an eye out is key for when new roles arise. I would suggest registering for alerts for roles near you that you are interested in so that you can apply before the majority of other applicants.

Paid roles in psychology are much more difficult to gain without qualifications, so if it is experience you are after, I would definitely recommend having a good search for volunteering opportunities near you. Any opportunity that shows a willingness to support vulnerable others, develops your interpersonal and communication skills and shows a general interest in psychological work will stand you in good stead e.g. volunteering in care homes, mentoring younger children.

However, there are paid roles out there that can develop your experience massively. Again as you mentioned applications are going to be competitive so getting in early will be essential. If you have your CV ready you can apply to things as soon as they come up. In addition, a great way into a paid role can come via volunteering - lots of charities and volunteering establishments offer paid roles too. If you show your reliability and skills during volunteering activities there may be an opportunity to advance into a paid position. If you do start any volunteering, asking about potential advancement and future prospects can give you an idea of what is on offer.

If you have any further questions about experience or anything related to Psychology in general please feel free to ask!

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi @snehasamsonk,

It is great to hear you are interested in gaining experience in psychology and it always looks great to employers and courses that you apply for! I currently study Psychology at the University of Sheffield and throughout my time at uni/sixth form I have also been trying to gain experience in relevant fields.

As you mentioned gaining experience in psychological settings is really difficult due to the level of competition and issues of confidentiality. To make up for this, I have found that being involved in volunteering opportunities can really help to develop essential skills relevant to the psychological field and show potential employers/courses your ability and willingness to learn.

Depending on where you are based, I have found that charities such as Mind and IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Service) offer great opportunities to get some real client experience and gain a feel for what working in psychology is like. In my first year of uni, I spent a lot of time google searching for local opportunities and availability. There are lots out there and keeping an eye out is key for when new roles arise. I would suggest registering for alerts for roles near you that you are interested in so that you can apply before the majority of other applicants.

Paid roles in psychology are much more difficult to gain without qualifications, so if it is experience you are after, I would definitely recommend having a good search for volunteering opportunities near you. Any opportunity that shows a willingness to support vulnerable others, develops your interpersonal and communication skills and shows a general interest in psychological work will stand you in good stead e.g. volunteering in care homes, mentoring younger children.

However, there are paid roles out there that can develop your experience massively. Again as you mentioned applications are going to be competitive so getting in early will be essential. If you have your CV ready you can apply to things as soon as they come up. In addition, a great way into a paid role can come via volunteering - lots of charities and volunteering establishments offer paid roles too. If you show your reliability and skills during volunteering activities there may be an opportunity to advance into a paid position. If you do start any volunteering, asking about potential advancement and future prospects can give you an idea of what is on offer.

If you have any further questions about experience or anything related to Psychology in general please feel free to ask!

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield

Thank you for replying, as an international student I do feel like a fish out of water hence your timely advice has been very valuable.
I'll try volunteering but I'm not sure about how to manage it since it's not something I can afford to do right now but yes will also be on the lookout for paid ones.
Original post by 0luolusiasia
Volunteering for NHS or mental health charities, support or care worker jobs or similar, unpaid research assistant at university :smile:

Thank you for your advice.
Original post by snehasamsonk
Thank you for replying, as an international student I do feel like a fish out of water hence your timely advice has been very valuable.
I'll try volunteering but I'm not sure about how to manage it since it's not something I can afford to do right now but yes will also be on the lookout for paid ones.

Hi @snehasamsonk

Volunteering is not always sustainable for people due the time commitments and financial constraints. I would definitely suggest looking into any jobs that your university might offer such as becoming a student ambassador or a mentor for younger students.

These job roles look really good to employers, develop your communication skills and show a willingness to help and support people which is vital in the field of psychology. As I mentioned any role wether it be voluntary or paid which shows a willingness to get involved and help others will be really beneficial.

If these roles are on offer to you its a great opportunity to build your skill portfolio, gain valuable experience for your CV whilst also earning money alongside your studies to support yourself whilst at uni. I am currently a student ambassador at the University of Sheffield and I have found this such a rewarding role whilst also helping me to manage financially.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi @snehasamsonk

Volunteering is not always sustainable for people due the time commitments and financial constraints. I would definitely suggest looking into any jobs that your university might offer such as becoming a student ambassador or a mentor for younger students.

These job roles look really good to employers, develop your communication skills and show a willingness to help and support people which is vital in the field of psychology. As I mentioned any role wether it be voluntary or paid which shows a willingness to get involved and help others will be really beneficial.

If these roles are on offer to you its a great opportunity to build your skill portfolio, gain valuable experience for your CV whilst also earning money alongside your studies to support yourself whilst at uni. I am currently a student ambassador at the University of Sheffield and I have found this such a rewarding role whilst also helping me to manage financially.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield

yes sure, thank you so much :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest