The Student Room Group

Is £40 per hour expensive for driving lessons?

I've just started driving lessons and know really not that much about the industry of driving schools - the instructor I'm with is £40 per hour and £80 for 2 hour sessions.

Is this expensive?

From doing some quick googling, it sounds like most people's lessons are about £25 per hour!

Any advice on whether this is expensive or normal would be really appreciated as I'm a broke youth worker so £40 is a lot ahaha
I would certainly not pay £40 for driving lessons. Especially if I wanna do 30 hour of lessons
(edited 2 years ago)
Very expensive, normal rates are about £25
And I thought paying £27 for a top tier instructor was expensive, lol
Was a few years ago, but I was paying around £27 an hour for AA and got a bit of discount for block bookings. So yeah, seems OTT to me.
I'm paying £25/hour.

There are some local instructors who increased their prices after lockdown due to additional costs for cleaning/masks/lost time and haven't reduced again. They are trying to make up for lost income and taking advantage of the lack of instructor availability. Supply and demand!

I wouldn't pay £40/hour unless really desperate.
Original post by edwardnate
I've just started driving lessons and know really not that much about the industry of driving schools - the instructor I'm with is £40 per hour and £80 for 2 hour sessions.

Is this expensive?

From doing some quick googling, it sounds like most people's lessons are about £25 per hour!

Any advice on whether this is expensive or normal would be really appreciated as I'm a broke youth worker so £40 is a lot ahaha

Seems overpriced. The hourly rate doesn't tend to change for a 2 hour session as opposed to one but if you were to buy a slot of 10 lessons you may get a discount. I got 10 at £23 an hour but its gone up since. £25 as others have said is about average
Reply 7

Is this expensive?

Manual: I pay £26/hour.
Automatic: I’ve seen rates of around £30/hour.

£40/hour is a total rip off
Reply 8
Original post by KaneG
Manual: I pay £26/hour.
Automatic: I’ve seen rates of around £30/hour.

£40/hour is a total rip off

the general consensus from everyone is that I'm being ripped off ahaha we love to see it, thank you everyone
yeah that's eye watering for anywhere in the UK

(mine were about 3 years back but was £25 an hour or 10 for £200, but I knew that was good)
Reply 10
the general consensus from everyone is that I'm being ripped off ahaha we love to see it, thank you everyone

Yep definitely. 😂. Well at least you know now
very expensive yes.
Reply 12
Some instructors lacking in scruples are taking advantage of the current situation
Yeah that does seem pretty pricey
Yes that's too much. I've paid max £25 per hour
I paid £22 to block book 24hours worth of lessons about 5 years ago. Can’t imagine prices have doubled in 5 years.
(edited 2 years ago)

Is this expensive?

I pay £35 for an hour and a half
yeah I'd say that's pretty pricey

Quick Reply