The Student Room Group

Is it safe to carry passport as ID?

If A level results day goes well, I would be going to university in London in September.

Unfortunately my provisional licence won't come for another 10 weeks. So if I want an ID, I would need to be carrying a passport with me as that is the only other form of valid ID that I can think of.

How unsafe would it be to carry my passport on my person while travelling in London? I'm not exactly a massive party-goer so I don't think I will be clubbing that much. And is there any tips that I could follow to prevent my passport or any other valuables getting mugged of me? I'm also a girl so I would be a more likely of a target.
Original post by Rithika1
If A level results day goes well, I would be going to university in London in September.

Unfortunately my provisional licence won't come for another 10 weeks. So if I want an ID, I would need to be carrying a passport with me as that is the only other form of valid ID that I can think of.

How unsafe would it be to carry my passport on my person while travelling in London? I'm not exactly a massive party-goer so I don't think I will be clubbing that much. And is there any tips that I could follow to prevent my passport or any other valuables getting mugged of me? I'm also a girl so I would be a more likely of a target.

Getting your passport stolen isn't a massive issue, you just report it as stolen/missing. However, I'd probably advise getting a citizen card https://www.citizencard.com/apply-for-a-uk-id-card-online it costs £15 to get it in a month or £30 for 2 days and will save you a lot of worrying.
Original post by Rithika1

Hi @Rithika1,

I'm in the same position as you! I recently passed my test and am caught in the 10 week processing delay, so frustrating isn't it!! I'm also based in London and I haven't had any problems using my passport as ID in terms of keeping it safe and on me at all times. Make sure you use bags that are secure- so handbags with zips that you can cover with your hand, backpacks with hidden interior pockets, across the body bags that you can sort of hold, bum bags, that sort of thing! Make sure that other valuables are safe inside your bag so it doesn't attract any pickpockets. If you can, avoid touristy or busy areas as this is where pickpockets would most likely be based. If I don't need to use my ID, I won't take my passport out with me for peace of mind.

I would also prepare for the worst, and make sure that you or a parent knows where your birth certificate is. This might sound a bit silly, but if you lose your passport and don't have an ID, this can be used as identification for things like setting up/dealing with bank accounts or starting a new job, so it's worth knowing where it is in case you need it.

Hope this helps!

Lucy :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @Rithika1,

I'm in the same position as you! I recently passed my test and am caught in the 10 week processing delay, so frustrating isn't it!! I'm also based in London and I haven't had any problems using my passport as ID in terms of keeping it safe and on me at all times. Make sure you use bags that are secure- so handbags with zips that you can cover with your hand, backpacks with hidden interior pockets, across the body bags that you can sort of hold, bum bags, that sort of thing! Make sure that other valuables are safe inside your bag so it doesn't attract any pickpockets. If you can, avoid touristy or busy areas as this is where pickpockets would most likely be based. If I don't need to use my ID, I won't take my passport out with me for peace of mind.

I would also prepare for the worst, and make sure that you or a parent knows where your birth certificate is. This might sound a bit silly, but if you lose your passport and don't have an ID, this can be used as identification for things like setting up/dealing with bank accounts or starting a new job, so it's worth knowing where it is in case you need it.

Hope this helps!

Lucy :smile:

Hey Lucy, thank so much for your help! Once i get my results and if I am confirmed to be going to uni this September, I defo will do a massive shopping haul for "theft-proof" bags. I need to make sure I minimise any chance of theft.

Thank you again for your help!
I've used my passport as ID for 2 or so years and it's been fine
Original post by LowBlowChloe
Getting your passport stolen isn't a massive issue, you just report it as stolen/missing. However, I'd probably advise getting a citizen card https://www.citizencard.com/apply-for-a-uk-id-card-online it costs £15 to get it in a month or £30 for 2 days and will save you a lot of worrying.

If you create a Yoti account, you can even get it for £1 :biggrin:
Reply 6
If you're using your passport as ID:

(1) Keep it in a plastic ziplock bag to reduce the risk of it getting damaged by getting wet (e.g. rain, spilled drinks)

(2) Make sure you've made a copy or two of the details page and keep them safe. That way if you do lose your passport, you've got all the details needed to make cancelling it and getting it replaced easier/quicker.

Quick Reply

Latest