The Student Room Group

Getting rid of fleas.

So i was wondering at a vets for my apprenticeship, and was helping with restraining a cat for a Iv catheter when later finding out that cat had a massive infestation of fleas.

This might be a stupid question but how do you get rid of fleas on humans? As I quite itchy now.
Cat fleas won't live on humans.
Change your clothes and have a shower and put your clothes in for a wash to kill off any fleas that are in your clothes (don't leave your clothes on a carpet or similar when you've taken them off - put them straight into wash.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Cat fleas won't live on humans.
Change your clothes and have a shower and put your clothes in for a wash to kill off any fleas that are in your clothes (don't leave your clothes on a carpet or similar when you've taken them off - put them straight into wash.

Okay, so if i do my normal shower routine will that kill them??
Original post by Alicehale6
So i was wondering at a vets for my apprenticeship, and was helping with restraining a cat for a Iv catheter when later finding out that cat had a massive infestation of fleas.

This might be a stupid question but how do you get rid of fleas on humans? As I quite itchy now.

Can humans get fleas from animals....

Yes, humans can get fleas from their dogs and other pets. ... There are thousands of species of fleas, and most animals have a specific flea species that prefers that animal as its host. While the flea that dogs typically carry can—and do—jump over to humans and bite us, the dog flea cannot survive on humans.

Can Humans Get Fleas From Their Dogs or Any other Pets.....
Yes, humans can get fleas from their dogs and other pets. If you’ve ever walked across the carpet and noticed a dark speck on white socks that suddenly appears then vanishes, that speck probably was a flea.

While pets undoubtedly enrich our lives in innumerable ways, this close proximity has put us at greater risk for sharing ectoparasites, such as the flea. But don’t fret just yet; the possibility of getting fleas yourself is not reason to put your pup in the dog house.

There are thousands of species of fleas, and most animals have a specific flea species that prefers that animal as its host. While the flea that dogs typically carry can—and do—jump over to humans and bite us, the dog flea cannot survive on humans.

First, dog fleas need dog blood to eat. Second, humans aren’t hairy enough to provide ample hiding coverage or the warm environment that dog fleas seek in a home.

Most fleas figure this out quickly and will return to your pup or seek a safer spot in your home. This makes treating your home a key part of flea prevention and treatment not to overlook.

What to Do If You Spot Fleas
Flea bites—and fleas—are pretty distinctive. If you see dark small bugs that hop, instead of flying, and find yourself with bites, it is most likely fleas.

Unlike mosquito bites, flea bites remain small. If a flea bites you, you might see one or more of the following:

bites that appear as small, red bumps
a red “halo” around the bite center
bites in groups of three or four, or in a straight line
bites that appear around the ankles or legs
In humans, flea bites do not require specific treatment. Washing the area with soap and water, applying anti-itch cream as necessary, and avoiding the temptation to scratch will lead to quicker relief and healing.

In dogs, however, apart from irritation, fleas can lead to hot spots or cause anemia in heavy infestations, especially in young or debilitated dogs. In addition, certain fleas can carry several diseases, including the bubonic plague, and act as vectors to spread one of the most common tapeworms of the dog and cat.

While this can sound alarming, remember fleas on humans for more than a bite or two are rare. If you do spot fleas on yourself or your dog, it is best to initiate treatment right away and get a fecal exam for your dog.
Original post by Alicehale6
Okay, so if i do my normal shower routine will that kill them??

What is the fastest way to get rid of fleas on humans.........

To treat fleabites on your body, you may use over-the-counter anti-itch creams, lotions, or ointments. You can treat your pets for fleas by cleaning their fur with anti-flea shampoo and anti-flea powder. You should also put an anti-flea collar on your pets or apply a topical medication.

You said if you were assist in vet practice how do you treat this ( although rare this happens to staff ) follow what I said above & other message

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending