The Student Room Group

Why do I feel like life is far too boring and meaningless unles I do something wrong?

I realise I make myself enter situations that cause unnecesary, deep guilt, or intense fear, or something just rather unpleasant. If I do it for the rush of adrenaline, then why does it always feel bad? Why have I come to behave this way? I always follow the rules, for example in school, but give me a device and I'm far away into the dark side of the web at night. I try to quit it like a drug, then I feel empty without it. Like I'm missing meaning, a sense of purpose, or "moreness" out of life.
Could anyone help me understand why I possibly feel this way, what I can do to be satisfied with my life without repeatedly entering myself into potentially dangerous or harmful situations?
why are there so many anons all of a sudden someone please help

anyways-
adrenaline addict? google it, you may find some help there
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
I think you have become used to WANTING to feel a rush of adrenaline, and you may have convinced yourself that it's the only way to 'feel' something. I think you need to take some time and ground yourself. This might sound silly, but give it a shot if your open to it and I promise it will change the way you view life.

I would suggest to start looking at your life and appreciating the little things - listening to your favourite song, or having a good drink. Anything at all, it doesn't have to be big. You need to understand that there is meaning and happiness in even the littlest things. Overtime, this will really change your viewpoint and make you understand how there is so much more to life!

You might also want to take up a new hobby to keep you engaged (maybe a sport or a creative thing?)

I hope it helps! And I hope this wasn't too deep. Please let me know if you have questions! I'd love to expand on anything that I said if it didn't make sense to you. You won't see results overnight, it's something you need to train your brain to this new mindset. I have faith in you! Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Asha_m
why are there so many anons all of a sudden someone please help

anyways-
adrenaline addict? google it, you may find some help there

That's very interesting. And disheartening. But it makes sense somehow. How strange. Thank you
Reply 4
Original post by Bus22
I think you have become used to WANTING to feel a rush of adrenaline, and you may have convinced yourself that it's the only way to 'feel' something. I think you need to take some time and ground yourself. This might sound silly, but give it a shot if your open to it and I promise it will change the way you view life.

I would suggest to start looking at your life and appreciating the little things - listening to your favourite song, or having a good drink. Anything at all, it doesn't have to be big. You need to understand that there is meaning and happiness in even the littlest things. Overtime, this will really change your viewpoint and make you understand how there is so much more to life!

You might also want to take up a new hobby to keep you engaged (maybe a sport or a creative thing?)

I hope it helps! And I hope this wasn't too deep. Please let me know if you have questions! I'd love to expand on anything that I said if it didn't make sense to you. You won't see results overnight, it's something you need to train your brain to this new mindset. I have faith in you! Good luck

Thank you. I will try that... may I DM you sometime?
Original post by Anonymous
That's very interesting. And disheartening. But it makes sense somehow. How strange. Thank you

https://www.healthline.com/health/adrenaline-junkie#addiction
i think i may be in the same boat as you, but i channel all my 'thrill seeking' into kart racing
Reply 6
Original post by Asha_m
https://www.healthline.com/health/adrenaline-junkie#addiction
i think i may be in the same boat as you, but i channel all my 'thrill seeking' into kart racing

that's a healthy outlet. perhaps I can do the same
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you. I will try that... may I DM you sometime?

Hey for sure! I actually deleted social media off of my phone for a bit because it wasn't doing me any good. Send me an email though and I'll let you know if I get it back. Here's my email address - [email protected]
Reply 8
Original post by Bus22
Hey for sure! I actually deleted social media off of my phone for a bit because it wasn't doing me any good. Send me an email though and I'll let you know if I get it back.

haha same here. I appreciate it.
You are absolutely right, there is also another problem as to whether said 'wrong' thing is worth the bad consequences.
Original post by Little pecker
You are absolutely right, there is also another problem as to whether said 'wrong' thing is worth the bad consequences.

my drive says yes, my rationale says no.

Quick Reply

Latest