The Student Room Group

Family behavior

So I’m on a family vacation with my wife and her, family. We have been hiking, seeing sights and having a good time. ( location does not matter) my wife and I had gone out to a nice little pub, upon returning to our cabin, we noticed my niece by marriage was still up, watching tv in her room eating potatos. She noticed I was drinking a beer, I asked if she wanted to try- she’s 20 by the way. She goes on to tell me she tried a drink my wife had given her earlier that day and spit it out. She told me thanks but no. I go downstairs later that evening to get a snack. She is sitting on the couch watching tv with my mother in law. My mother in law starts to talk to me sternly. My niece then looks at my mother in law and tells her to be quiet in a roundabout way. I ask my mother in law if there was something she wanted to talk about and she said no. Now I think my niece told my mother in law what happened for some reason, why? And is my niece playing some game with me? Does she like me and this is her saying she is in control? I’ve been in this family for 15 years and my niece has got really strange around me. Don’t get caught up in the drink situation- why would she try and get me in trouble only to protect me
Did you tell your wife what happened? Very strange to slap someone but not give an explanation for why they did it. I wouldn’t put up with this in my family, if my mother did this to my boyfriend, even if he was in the wrong.
I don’t think you did anything wrong if she is 20 years old. If she was younger I would have suggested that you ask her parents permission first but personally I don’t think you did anything wrong. I do think it’s jumping to conclusions that she likes you though. She maybe just mentioned it not expecting the mother to get so angry about it.
Original post by Anonymous
Did you tell your wife what happened? Very strange to slap someone but not give an explanation for why they did it. I wouldn’t put up with this in my family, if my mother did this to my boyfriend, even if he was in the wrong.
I don’t think you did anything wrong if she is 20 years old. If she was younger I would have suggested that you ask her parents permission first but personally I don’t think you did anything wrong. I do think it’s jumping to conclusions that she likes you though. She maybe just mentioned it not expecting the mother to get so angry about it.

I don't think anyone slapped anyone...?
I wouldn't worry about it. If they want to talk to you about something, they'll talk to you about it; if they want to have some kind of cloak and dagger action between themselves then that's for them. There's no point in you trying to worry about this before they even tell you what it is.
Reply 4
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I don't think anyone slapped anyone...?

No one was physically slapped. Does she like me? It seems like she only really talks to me in person. Was she flirting or trying to get me in trouble?
No one was physically slapped. Does she like me? It seems like she only really talks to me in person. Was she flirting or trying to get me in trouble?

Tbh it’s sounds like you want her to like you.. I don’t think that means she likes you at all. She probably just said that you offered her beer and turned it down and the mother wasn’t happy that you had offered her beer. I thinking your looking way to into it. From that situation I would not think in anyway that she has feelings for you
No I don’t think she was flirting.
She mentioned to her mum that you had offered her a beer.
Then when she realised her mum wasn’t happy about it she attempted to keep the peace.
I’m unsure where you are in the world but if she’s under legal alcohol age you shouldn’t really be offering her any. It’s not your place.

And I agree with above, looks like you want her to fancy you.
Reply 7
Tbh it’s sounds like you want her to like you.. I don’t think that means she likes you at all. She probably just said that you offered her beer and turned it down and the mother wasn’t happy that you had offered her beer. I thinking your looking way to into it. From that situation I would not think in anyway that she has feelings for you

It was her grandmother, and her favorite aunt offered her a drink earlier that day
It was her grandmother, and her favorite aunt offered her a drink earlier that day

It doesn’t matter which parental figure it was, the point still stands. She doesn’t fancy you.
Reply 9
It doesn’t matter which parental figure it was, the point still stands. She doesn’t fancy you.

Then why go out of her way to talk to me
Then why go out of her way to talk to me

Just because a female talks to you, it doesn’t mean she fancies you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending