The Student Room Group

Exam Collusion

I’ve been accused of collusion in an exam.
They want me to explain my answers. Usually you get caught when you give the same wrong answers. They strongly believe I colluded, which I did. But how do I reply to their email? Do I explicitly say that I colluded or keep denying it although it’s a blatant lie. It’s the first time I ever had an academic misconduct and I just finished my Second year and I do a science degree.

Scroll to see replies

I know that what you want to hear is that you should lie, but I’m not going to say that because it’s wrong and demeans everyone else who took that exam.

It’s your own f* fault for cheating and you should have to answer to the consequences. As a minimum it’ll teach you a lesson and at most you’ll get expelled. The most likely scenario is that you and others involved will score zero for the test which is honestly what you deserve
Reply 2
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
I know that what you want to hear is that you should lie, but I’m not going to say that because it’s wrong and demeans everyone else who took that exam.

It’s your own f* fault for cheating and you should have to answer to the consequences. As a minimum it’ll teach you a lesson and at most you’ll get expelled. The most likely scenario is that you and others involved will score zero for the test which is honestly what you deserve

Don’t we get a chance to resit, if it’s the first time it happened. The exam was online.
Original post by Anonymous
Don’t we get a chance to resit, if it’s the first time it happened. The exam was online.

Resits are for people who fail, not for those who have committed serious academic misconduct.

of course the university could let you resit but that is discretionary on what disciplinary actions they feel is an appropriate repercussion.

“the first time”, almost all students go through without ever committing academic misconduct. That is no defense, & no attitude to take.
It all depends on your university policy. But most will either give a zero for the exam with no chance to resist or if it’s a “must pass” exam then you may be offered a capped resit.
It may even be more serious than that. And it doesn’t matter whether it’s an online exam or not. You cheated and they’ve caught you at it. There’s no evidence you can give to prove you didn’t because you did.
Ultimately, they already have a high degree of confidence that you cheated. The outcome isn't going to depend on you denying it.

"Oh, he says he didn't do it, I guess we'll just forget the whole thing." Not happening.

Ultimately all you can do is fess up, admit the genuine extent of it and see what the outcome is. I would seek guidance from your Students Union.
You’ve made this thread before.
alright tone it down a bit. He cheated on an exam, he didnt murder someone. Nobody got hurt here. Geez

Oh shut up 'tone it down'.
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
Ultimately, they already have a high degree of confidence that you cheated. The outcome isn't going to depend on you denying it.

"Oh, he says he didn't do it, I guess we'll just forget the whole thing." Not happening.

Ultimately all you can do is fess up, admit the genuine extent of it and see what the outcome is. I would seek guidance from your Students Union.

If I admit will I have to reveal the people I colluded with? They’ve also been accused and the uni is quite sure of it.
Original post by Reality Check
Oh shut up with your 'tone it down'. If you've got something to say, then come out from behind Mummy's skirts of Anonymous and say it.

reported
If I admit will I have to reveal the people I colluded with? They’ve also been accused and the uni is quite sure of it.

I would suggest that co-operating with the investigation fully is the best course of action, yes.

If they're certain about you, they'll be certain about them to, so I wouldn't worry about honour amongst thieves at this stage.

@Admit-One has got all the answers for you here. I recommend you take the advice.
Back to the original question ....

You cheated - but you apparently have no shame about this, and think you might be able to wriggle out of the consequences by bluffing.
Your only hope here is full honesty about what you did, exactly who else was involved, and why you did it.

Explaining exactly why you have been excluded from University to your family will be fun won't it.
Lovely to meet you :laugh:

I mean i wasn't the guy behind anon.. I just said what other people tried saying to you...

And nice to meet you too :smile:
hahahaha. Are you insulted by me as well? Do you need some counselling for it? I can probably arrange that for you. But I think you're made of sterner stuff than that.

Do you have any advice for the Anon OP regarding the cheating?

No, I just felt the need to swear xD

Regarding that.. ermm idk coz i cheated the same way but never got caught... so tbh the advice i have is.. don't be dumb when cheating
Original post by InfiniteWill
No, I just felt the need to swear xD

:rofl:
A resit?

Do you genuinely have that little integrity, that little honour and self-respect? Jesus...how embarrassing are you?

Preferred your first reply tbh
Original post by InfiniteWill
Regarding that.. ermm idk coz i cheated the same way but never got caught... so tbh the advice i have is.. don't be dumb when cheating

Sensational.
Please stop fighting here.
@Admit-One has got all the answers for you here. I recommend you take the advice.

To be honest, not even my area of expertise, just go by the rule of "it's a fair copy, guv" and see where the dice fall. Not point playing silly buggers at this stage.

@PhoenixFortune is quite good with these cases and may want to chip in.

Latest

Trending

Trending