The Student Room Group

A levels

How should I prepare for college in my chosen subjects, English lit, geography and sociology? I have been given work by my college that we have to do but im so unmotivated but i want to do good at it. Also any tips for college ie revision, college life etc would be much appreciated.
Thank you😁😁😁
Preparation isn't that important, I did nothing myself. It's more or less done to help you become familar with the fundamentals of the subject.

I don't do the subjects you've chosen so I can't give a great opinion on the most effective revision methods. I think mind maps for Eng Lit and Geography will be good and notes for Sociology.

College life isn't massively different from High School. Lessons are conducted in basically the same way. You'll have more free time too (can be spent wherever you like, home too if you have a lengthy break or if you finish early), It's harder to be with your friends, they might be in different classes at different times so I'd suggest sending them a screenshot of your timetable so you know when you can hang out.

I'd suggest revising 1.5 hours minimum a day at the same pace as your class. Make sure to take breaks too.
I've just finished year 13 and did sociology and as teachers know that it is a new subject for many people there are more introduction lessons than for other subjects so I just printed off and looked over the specification. I went to a sixth form rather than a college so I can't really give advice on college life but for revision for sociology, I made quizlets on every chapter that I tested myself on regularly then once I was confident on the quizlet, I would use blurting to recall everything that I could without prompts, then used the quizlet to add in what I forgot in a different colour. If I consistently forgot certain content I would make flashcards/mind maps/posters/post-it notes (whatever I thought would work best) on those areas and repeated this process throughout the 2 years (I'd say the key to all revision is to make sure that it involves active recall). I also created essay plans which summarised the key sociologists/statistics etc, key question (usefulness, for and against, cause and effect), core debates (structure vs action, consensus vs conflict, positivism vs interpretivism), evaluation points and overall conclusion

Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SB1234567890
I've just finished year 13 and did sociology and as teachers know that it is a new subject for many people there are morSubmit reply

e introduction lessons than for other subjects so I just printed off and looked over the specification. I went to a sixth form rather than a college so I can't really give advice on college life but for revision for sociology, I made quizlets on every chapter that I tested myself on regularly then once I was confident on the quizlet, I would use blurting to recall everything that I could without prompts, then used the quizlet to add in what I forgot in a different colour. If I consistently forgot certain content I would make flashcards/mind maps/posters/post-it notes (whatever I thought would work best) on those areas and repeated this process throughout the 2 years (I'd say the key to all revision is to make sure that it involves active recall). I also created essay plans which summarised the key sociologists/statistics etc, key question (usefulness, for and against, cause and effect), core debates (structure vs action, consensus vs conflict, positivism vs interpretivism), evaluation points and overall conclusion
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have

Wow thank you so much. That's extremely helpful. I revise by talking out loud as it helps me remember everything the best and making mind maps and flashcards are so good. What grade did you achieve for sociology?
Reply 4
Original post by urlocalinmate
Preparation isn't that important, I did nothing myself. It's more or less done to help you become familar with the fundamentals of the subject.

I don't do the subjects you've chosen so I can't give a great opinion on the most effective revision methods. I think mind maps for Eng Lit and Geography will be good and notes for Sociology.

College life isn't massively different from High School. Lessons are conducted in basically the same way. You'll have more free time too (can be spent wherever you like, home too if you have a lengthy break or if you finish early), It's harder to be with your friends, they might be in different classes at different times so I'd suggest sending them a screenshot of your timetable so you know when you can hang out.

I'd suggest revising 1.5 hours minimum a day at the same pace as your class. Make sure to take breaks too.

Thank you so much😄
Original post by Elz15
Wow thank you so much. That's extremely helpful. I revise by talking out loud as it helps me remember everything the best and making mind maps and flashcards are so good. What grade did you achieve for sociology?

I will find out my actual grade on 10th August but I'm hoping for an A*
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
I will find out my actual grade on 10th August but I'm hoping for an A*

Wow amazing I hope to get an A* too. Do you have any more tips for how to get an amazing grade? 😃
Original post by Elz15
Wow amazing I hope to get an A* too. Do you have any more tips for how to get an amazing grade? 😃

Thanks
Most of these apply to high A level grades in general but my main tips would be to start revision early/make resources as you go along, do active recall regularly and make sure to acknowledge your least confident areas. Also participate a lot and ask questions if you are unsure of anything (I only really started doing this in year 13 and I wish I had the confidence to it in what I had of year 12). If there is any optional work do it (we were set many optional sociology essays in the first two weeks of lockdown and I saw my average marks improve greatly in a short space of time). I'd also say that organisation is key to high grades- I had a day folder with the most recent chapter for every subject and related assessments as well as a ring binder popper wallet at the front for loose sheets then at the end of every day I would move my sheets and notes into the right place then once I finished a chapter it would into the folder for the paper that it was assessed in. I also got a planner in year 13 to manage revision/epq/ucas.. more efficiently so would create a master to-do list (I love to-do lists) that I would then divide into daily lists in my planner, as well as using the planner to record when I had exams and which general subject I was going to focus on each day (I ordered the academic planner from ink outside the box which is quite expensive for a planner but it was my lifesaver in year 13). Overall I'd just say work hard and find ways to keep yourself motivated/determined (set goals, imagine the best outcome against outcome if you don't work as much) and you will hopefully get the results you want
Sorry if this is really waffly but I hope it helps
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Elz15
How should I prepare for college in my chosen subjects, English lit, geography and sociology? I have been given work by my college that we have to do but im so unmotivated but i want to do good at it. Also any tips for college ie revision, college life etc would be much appreciated.
Thank you😁😁😁

Download the specifications - see what you'll be learning. If you know the books for Eng Lit then I'd read them.
Reply 9
wow thank you so much for the advice. The folders bit still confuses me a bit like are they required to have in class and do the teachers tell you where to put all your sheets or is it just a thing that some people do. Cos I was just gonna get 3 folders - one for each subject and see how that goes to start off with and also 3 notebooks to make notes in. Is this good? A planner seems like a good idea and I have seen some cheap ones at the works which would do for me. I always like to be organised like you. No worries about the waffle - I waffle all the time too. :smile:
Original post by Elz15
wow thank you so much for the advice. The folders bit still confuses me a bit like are they required to have in class and do the teachers tell you where to put all your sheets or is it just a thing that some people do. Cos I was just gonna get 3 folders - one for each subject and see how that goes to start off with and also 3 notebooks to make notes in. Is this good? A planner seems like a good idea and I have seen some cheap ones at the works which would do for me. I always like to be organised like you. No worries about the waffle - I waffle all the time too. :smile:

I started with day folder (all folders were lever arch files) and a folder at home for each subject but ended put having one for each paper for each subject, and I used a refill pad to make my notes then put the notes/sheets into plastic wallets in the day folder (or you could just hole punch them) as I think that a notebook for each subject's notes may make it more confusing due to being more likely at A level to have different teachers teaching different chapters/to switch between different chapters/topics from different parts of the course/different papers so I personally feel like folders and paper that can easily be torn out prevents unrelated notes from being muddled together
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
Download the specifications - see what you'll be learning. If you know the books for Eng Lit then I'd read them.

Thank you. Yes will definitely do that😁
Reply 12
I started with day folder (all folders were lever arch files) and a folder at home for each subject but ended put having one for each paper for each subject, and I used a refill pad to make my notes then put the notes/sheets into plastic wallets in the day folder (or you could just hole punch them) as I think that a notebook for each subject's notes may make it more confusing due to being more likely at A level to have different teachers teaching different chapters/to switch between different chapters/topics from different parts of the course/different papers so I personally feel like folders and paper that can easily be torn out prevents unrelated notes from being muddled together

Wow thank you amazing advice again. I might start with 3 folders and see how it goes and the notebooks but the refill pad is a great idea x I guess I'll just see what I do when I start college. What other a levels did you do?😀😀
Original post by Elz15
Wow thank you amazing advice again. I might start with 3 folders and see how it goes and the notebooks but the refill pad is a great idea x I guess I'll just see what I do when I start college. What other a levels did you do?😀😀

I also did psychology and business (and an EPQ in year 13)
Reply 14
I also did psychology and business (and an EPQ in year 13)

Wow so cool. What do you want to study at uni if you're going?😀
Original post by Elz15
Wow so cool. What do you want to study at uni if you're going?😀

Hopefully business and management at Exeter
Reply 16
Hopefully business and management at Exeter

Good luck and thank you again for all your help. So appreciated x😀😀

Quick Reply

Latest